Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nobades/Blemmye List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhill4913@comcast.net
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Nobades/Blemmye List

I noticed this list is substantially changed from the original list 63 of Phil Barker and co.. Required camels have replaced elephants and I was wondering what source(s) reflects this change.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

Generally such is covered in the List Notes section.

I don't recall this list in particular as...well...no one ever plays it...and I haven't looked at it in years.

It's also possible it is overlapped or whatnot by a list in African Warrior.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Paul Georgian used to play it back in the late 80s. I don't think I've seen anyone play it since. I do remember having a conversation with Paul about it when I was matched up against him once, and he felt that good historical resources on the composition of the list were sketchy at best. That probably hasn't changed in the intervening decades, but back then the list was still a WRG product.

Generally under 4 Horsmen's stewardship and effort has been made over the years to (a) revisit good historical sources for all lists, (b) apply greater consistency in the way the same troops show up on different lists, and (c) apply some consistency where different lists in the same region and time period could reasonably be expected to have similarities.

I can't say how any of that applies specifically to Blemes and Nobades; I can say that African Warrior was a huge undertaking and the lists therein represent the most thoughtful approach about how to incorporate troops and tactics unique to those lists within the overall Warrior system.
jhill4913@comcast.net
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: List changes

There can be no doubt that Scoot and the other men at 4HE have done excellent work improving the rules and lists from Barker's 7th edition stuff but I was hoping that my question might find it's way to the person who made such a radical change in the original list. To go from optional African elephants to required camels must be based on some historical evidence and I'd just like to know what that is.
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Ultimately I'm responsible.

I don't have an answer because that work was done over a decade ago. I don't have detailed notes.

Sorry. It is what it is.

jhill4913@comcast.net
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Just Curious

No problem, Scott. I was just curious what the protocol was when major changes to the original lists were made. Back in the day, as you remember, we got all kinds of lists and suggestions from a wide variety of "experts" that tended to either improve a pet army, or kill one that was having a good run at the time. I like the way you guys have tinkered with the lists and rules over the last decade or so to make the armies both historical and playable with WARRIOR.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

We don't always get it right. But, we've tried to avoid partisanship around 'pet' lists as well as generally broaden lists that are playable.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

About 10 years ago Blemes was played (it is deep in the pictures section of the Album - tournament section) and there was also a write-up.

There seems to be more historical material available these days then back in the days of Barker. I know Bill Low is fastidious in his research and has helped put together (with aid of others) some excellent new lists based upon recently available information. The lists are also (I believe) designed to be playable and I don't there are many "killer" lists out there any more. Certainly there are better lists (see "A" list discussion as a topic as well) to get an idea and those armies are typically used for the NICT. A few of us use less well thought of lists, but to each is their own.

Todd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: