Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Wars 2018 Results and AAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Cold Wars 2018 Results and AAR

Mini

1) Dan Woyke, Early Indian, 15
2) Greg Hauser, Ghaznavid, 11
3) Frank Gilson, Elamite, 9
4) Bill Low, Early Libyan, 9
5) Ewan McNay, Sassanid, 8
6) Rob Turnball, Kanem-Borno, 8
7) Rich Kroupa, Late Tang Chinese, 7
8) Sean Scott, Italian Condotta, 7
9) Chris Schulitz, Late Paleogan Byzantine, 6
10) Todd Kaeser, Early Bulgar, 5
11) Scott McDonald, First Crusade, 5
12) Matt Kollmer, Picts, 4
13) Tom Barkus, Granadine, 4
14) Fred Stratton, Neo-Assyrian Empire, 2

Crusader Theme Doubles

1) Dan Woyke and Matt Kollmer, First Crusade, 23.1
2) Todd Kaeser and Rob Turnball, Late Crusader, 22.2
3) Ewan Mcnay and 2/3 Scott Holder, Late Crusader, 21.6
4) Scott McDonald and Mike Kelly, First Crusade, 19.8
5) Frank Gilson and Mark Stone, Knights of St John, 19.6
6) Greg Hauser and Chris Schulitz, Fatimid Egyptian, 16.8
7) Fred Stratton and Mike Mallamaci, Komnenan Byzantine, 16.7
8) Marc Cribbs and Jim Bisigani, Syrian, 13.6
9) Jevon Garrett and Sean Scott, Ayyubid Egyptian, 13
10) Rich Kroupa and Alex Kroupa, Late Crusader, 10.6
11) Bill Low and 1/3 Scott Holder, Late Crusader, 10.5
12) Don Carter and Bill Chamis, Arab Dynasty, 8.2

Sportsman: Todd Kaeser. Other nominees:Greg Hauser, Rich Kroupa, Scott McDonald, Dan Woyke, Matt Kollmer
Best Camp(s): Bill Low
Sponsor: On Military Matters

I'll have more details later in this thread.

scott

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Pictures are on the Album section - starts with the Mini (and a picture of Matt's Picts) and runs through the champs Dan and Matt.

Thanks to Scott for running the CW tournaments and for Rich and the terrain!!!!

Todd

scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Another Cold Wars, another 940 miles each way. Drive home took 12 hours and 40 minutes. I think that’s a new record for me. I had plenty of “pace cars” clipping along at breakneck speeds the entire way. I subsist on diet Mountain Dew (in small quantities, otherwise my 50-something bladder needs emptying) and cheddar goldfish for the entire drive, stopping long enough to gas up and relieve the aforementioned bladder.

The layout was a little different. We had plenty of tables but were cramped not because I laid them out in the diagram too close together but because whoever actually setup the tables put the rows too close together. Otherwise, we were comfortable. The Host in undergoing a lot of construction under the new ownership plus we didn’t share the Flea Market. It was put in the Showroom.

Me and Rich Kroupa got together for what is becoming our regular “day-before-everything-starts-shake-off-the-rust-game” on Thu afternoon, me running 2000pts of First Crusade, him running 1850pts of Late Crusader. I had been jerking around with the list on the off chance I’d have to round out the Crusader Doubles Theme on Saturday. I went into this thinking I’d run them as basically Anglo-Danish with much better and much more cav. I made the mistake of discussing this with Frank via email and changed my approach somewhat in that I used two 8E units of Crusader foot (LTS front, CB rear). Normally that’s “Here Nice Opponent, Have Some Free Points” kinda thing but against Rich they held up mainly because I had to have the Irr A HC behind them. We called them “Frank Units” not after their Frankish origins but after their Frank origins. I kept checking in on anybody that had anything resembling them. That also meant watering down my other 9E Crusader foot units from 12E. I should have deployed those in Shieldwall. Again, rust. At least one of my 12E Pilgrim units plowed into his MI CD unit sitting behind stakes and routed them.

That was the coolest thing about the Doubles theme in terms of how people concocted their lists. Each of the two First Crusade lists took significantly different approaches and the 3 Late Crusader lists that I either faced or were a part of where all different. In my second round Doubles game, partnered with Ewan, we faced Todd and Rob with their Late Crusader list. As Ewan aptly put it, their list was setup far better to deal with other Late Crusader lists than our’s (okay his, I just showed up and was assigned some commands). How we won that game is still somewhat of a mystery to me.

Note the armies in the Mini. Yeah, there’s the usual Greg’s Ghaznavids and Ewan’s Sassanids but aside from those guys bringing their A-Lists, it was fantastic to see the rest. That being said, I gave Dan no end of grief about his E Indians with their 9(!) Irr B elephants. I should have figured out a way for him to face Matt’s Picts. Nonetheless, everybody else should be applauded for bringing not only something different but lots of things decidedly not-your-A-or-B army lists.

Bill and Ewan approached me Friday night volunteering to split up their team if we had an odd number. Unfortunately we did. We would have had an even number of teams but then annoying “I have to work at the last minute” crap came up with Rich Novak. He and his son Christopher were planning to come and play Doubles. Having said that, it meant I did get to do what I did last year, team up with the split team, in this case Bill and Ewan. I played the first two games with Ewan and the last one with Bill. Both were running Late Crusader and both lists were significantly different. Sure, each one had 7 or 8 knight units but Bill used 9E Crusader infantry blocks whereas Ewan used even smaller “Frank Units” (6E) which we more or less kept out of harm’s way in both our games. In an ironic outcome, I was the only player who actually was on a team that won all three games 5-x. I joked with Ewan afterwards that I should have stuck with him and he might have won. Note I said joked with him as my presence in his last 1-1 game with Mark Stone and Frank might have helped them more than Ewan. As it was, I played with Bill and because Don’s main attack with his Irr HC lancers was repulsed, we ended earlier than most games with Bill. As Don put it “my ride gets here at 10:30 and I’m leaving so this game will be over no matter what”.

Bill brought the usual ton of extra led and this time it helped more than usual. Bill Chamis was coming down Friday night looking for a partner and army. Don came a bit later asking for the same thing. He picked their army from Bill’s selection so the two of them got to play.

Although EHK-centered armies dominated (I should have known better), it was fantastic seeing 4 Muslim lists, the two First Crusade lists and even Komnenan Byzantine.

The only rules thing that caused my blood pressure to rise was something from the Barbarian Rules. Nobody ever seems to see obvious intent in stuff, instead looking to circumvent said intent. Which means I have to change the wording in one paragraph in order to state the obvious. Other than that, it was a mellow weekend rules wise.

If you want to share excruciatingly detailed battle reports, please do so down in the Battle Reports section. By all means say something here if you have general comments or a quick summary of your games but if you want to give us a round-by-round accounting, do it there.

Finally, I missed any possible post-tourney Saturday Night Hang because of the long-ass drive I had the next day. Plus we didn’t end until around 11pm. On Friday, however, we were done by 9:30pm. There’s a new hotel right down the street, Tru (it’s some new brand by Hilton). I think it was Ewan who booked a room there so we could all use the common area downstairs. It was great. There must have been 12-15 of us. Ewan had a bottle of champagne, there were at least 4-5 bottles of wine and I think it was Chris Schulitz who had 2 bottles of Scotch. All was consumed by the time we broke up shortly before midnight.

scott

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Cold wars

Absolute blast Scott - not sure what you were doing Friday but we got back at 2:30 am - On the gaming side - had a blast in both tournaments, love playing teams, thanks Bill/Ewan for splitting up - we did it last year and while fun having the team mate you schemed with for months is a blast. I personally had more disce swings in the theme than I ever remember - 6 rolls of -4 1 +4 1 +3 and some really good shooting - tho only thing I never did that I remember is roll even. Thanks to all the opponents and friends who made it a very fun weekend
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

This was my first Cold Wars in several years, and it was great to see folks who don't usually make it to Historicon (Chris Shculitz, for example). All three games were enjoyable, even if Ewan, Frank, and I managed to take ourselves out of contention in the final round with a tense, hard fought draw.

Hanging out Friday night was a high point. My Friday was a bit challenging, starting in Dublin Ireland at 7:00 AM local time where I was wrapping up a week of work at the company office there. 6 1/2 hours of flying time later put me at JFK just in time for afternoon rush hour, meaning it took me 3 1/2 hours to get my rental car from the airport across town to the Jersey Turnpike. 2-ish hours from there got me to Lancaster around 10:30 PM. I did not come empty handed, though; one of the bottles of scotch Scott references was picked up at Duty Free in the Dublin airport. I was up until after 1:00 AM, making for a 21 hour day for me. On the positive side, it made adjusting back to East Coast time much easier.

"Tru by Hilton" was a fun place to hang out, and a positive addition to the Lancaster scene. The Host Resort is still a terrible mess, and the quality of renovation work being done is not high. I won't be staying there again. Your experience may vary.

I already have a room booked (elsewhere) for Historicon, and I'm hopefuly that work schedules will enable me to attend.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks to all you guys for your AAR's
ToddK special thanks for the pics. They were GREAT.... Really enjoyed them.
RobertT. miss you and your helpful points of my games
ScottH. I always love your remarks...They are so blunt....I did say blunt.
MarkS... Some day we will cross swords....
Look forward to other AAR's
Ed the Rash
Dan Woyke
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Coldwars and the Heckler!

Gang,

Sorry for the late reply!

First, we should all thank Rich and Scott for a successful Cold Wars. I always forget how far people drive and how much it means to me and others that we are able to play! Bill Low also is pivotal to so many of us for armies and he truly keeps these events also moving! So Thank You!

QUICK HIGHLIGHTS:

TRU: The Tru was a great time for all and I am glad that might become a good space for us after hours. Nothing greater than sitting around the tables hearing stories, drinking wine, beer and Whisky, Chris Schulitz gets major credit for the Whisky. Winning Story: Scott bashing in his face and then running 25+ miles, very bloody.

DRIVE DOWN:

I had the luxury of Driving down with Herr FRANK, Todd (NICT CHAMP) and Matt. Frank made it enjoyable with his running commentary on lists. (which I think I agreed with 50% of what he thinks). Pretty sure Herr Frank didn't like my lists (go figure Smile)

MINI:
I decided to run Early Indian, I wanted something fun (not a killer list) and that had Elephants, lots of EL and nothing else it turns out. Early Indians might be one of those lists that work's well in 1200, but not 1600 points.

MINI:
1: Neo Assyrian (Fred): Really hard matchup, I got lucky on a shake or two
2: Don Carter: it was a close slugfest. EL broke through!
3: Late Tang: (Kroupa) When I play Rich, something wacky always happens.
(Cataphract CC mixed it up with the EL...and it turned the game)

THE HECKLER (Scott) started giving me grief about running early Indian with all my EL, right around bound 1 of my last game. He Kept stopping by, something to do with TIME....you are taught to drown out the Hecklers pretty quick in this Sport Smile. He was encouraging Rich to Kick my Butt...Which Rich was trying and Gladly doing!
NEXT TIME I NEED TO PLAY THE HECKLER!.....The Heckler Challange!

TEAMS: (with MATT): First Crusade : It was really enjoyable! I was not sure in the beginning if I was going to enjoy a theme Teamed Cold Wars: Turns out I was wrong and it was a lot of fun. Mainly because of people taking totally different builds of similar armies.

TEAMS:
1: Don Carter and Bill Chamis, Arab Dynasty: Some timely up rolls and two HC charges won the day!
2: Scott McDonald and Mike Kelly, First Crusade (CIVIL WAR): In the end, We clashed in the middle with a number of HK charges...and we routed less.
3: Greg Hauser and Chris Schulitz, Fatimid Egyptian: Matt saved my bacon and took Greg head-on in most of the game's combat. Matt and Greg mixed it up pretty hard..and when the dust settled we came out slightly on TOP! I faced the dreaded SCHULTIZ screen...which was very effective!

Overall very fun!

DW

Last edited by Dan Woyke on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
scott holder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Dan is still a putz.

Post-show hang: The one time I stayed across the road at the Continental with y'all, we had a great post-show hang outside. The entire backside of the facility had families, a pool, playground, etc. This was obviously at a Historicon and I'm guessing it wasn't godawful hot/humid outside. It wouldn't work in either case for Cold Wars. Plus it's closed for renovations. But yeah, Tru worked nicely.

1200pt armies: Dan makes a great point that unfortunately gets overlooked in the fixation on 1600pt lists in the game, namely that a different set of armies comes into play at 1200pts. I have been fixated on Thracians since I played them several years back at a Mini. They would have been a good rock-paper-scissors counter to Dan's E Indians. I mean I'd just flood the board with barbarian blocks and eventually I'd a) find meaningful targets and b) roll up with the A's. Plus there's fewer moving parts in terms of the tactical machinations that make Warrior "complex" to the untrained and uninformed eye.

scott

Dan Woyke
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: I agree with the old wretch (above)

Scott brings up a good point here, I agree with him that some lists just play so much better at 1200 points. (You can even make the argument that warrior might work/play better at 1200 points). I think it opens up to more armies! (See why below)..waiting for a FRANK-Diatribe on 1600 points. (NICT 1200 points????? Smile )

The reasons why 1200 points might work better
1: Some list...make you buy crap after 1200
2: Some list...have too many choices!
3: The Game seems a little more streamlined.
4: LI battle is less

Started making a list of Armies that work well in 1200 points (please add to it)

Early Indian: The EL and Bow blocks work well
Moldavian: Great use of HK, and LC is one of the best in game
Thracians: Might be one of the best (if not the best) barbarian armies.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Lists in 1200 points

Carthaginian, Alex Imperial
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject:

1st Crusade
Post Mongol Russian
Feudal French
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject:

There are armies with high minimums that feel penalized at 1200 points. To use the 1200 point format more widely I'd really want to be convinced that we gain more variety in armies than we lose. I am far from convinced.
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Please start a new thread somewhere else if you want to continue this conversation.

If I were king, we'd be using 1200pt tourneys as the standard singles format and going from there. Oops, I should save this comment for when somebody (I'm looking at you Effing Yankees Fan Woyke) starts a thread devoted to this topic.

scott

Dan Woyke
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: NEW Thread

****MOVED THE THREAD TO ARMY LISTS****...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: