Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Council of 5 Nations (Official Update - 1 week away)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWA-Gaming
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject:

Gents,

Two days until the event. Just checking in. Very happy to see we will have an excellent turnout this year!

I want to apologize, especially to 2017 winner Todd Kaeser, that we have not yet engraved the 2017 winners plaque for the Council Cup trophy.

Yours is not the only trophy to be neglected. Here's the story...
We have a Star Fleet Battles event every summer (The Ithaca Cup), and there is a trophy for that. And there is our other Star Fleet Council tournament trophy too. So we usually get the engraving done for all three trophies after the Ithaca Cup event.

But, this summer, the Ithaca Cup event was postponed until winter.
Since I didn't have the event to trigger the action, I forgot to get the engraving done for the other Star Fleet and Warrior trophies.

But we will definitely get the Warrior trophy engraved with both the 2017 and 2018 winners in time for next year's tournament.

Meanwhile, here are some recycled photos of the trophy...

Front View
Front-View by Dave Cheng, on Flickr

Roll Call - Past Winners
Names09-15 by Dave Cheng, on Flickr

Close-up of the Hoplite
Hoplite-Closeup by Dave Cheng, on Flickr

Side View
Side-View by Dave Cheng, on Flickr

We have also created a custom carrying-box to protect this priceless artifact!
Padded-Box by Dave Cheng, on Flickr

Council of Five Nations, our annual convention (October 5-7, 2018)
http://www.swa-gaming.org/Council
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

Awesome trophy...and best wishes to all for the event this weekend!
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Council of five nations

Fun tournament - learned some stuff about short games - played to a 1:1 a 0:1 and a 5:0 - full terrain on the first two games meant very little fighting as we had to manoever to get troops into battle - should have lost the first game- who knows on the second - but full terrain prevented either side from fighting - for these type of tournaments you almost have to pick an up front army - as there is not time for anything else
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

We really do need some pre-set terrain standards so 'we got a draw because there was too much terrain' doesn't realistically happen.

I know Rob does his best to close and fight and very rough terrain in the central sector as well as on flanks really does mess things up for whomever is playing.

Also, we don't know what flavor of terrain we'll see prior to an event we may have traveled quite some way to attend...so our army choice may be, poor or enlightened, randomly given terrain.

Frank
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Council of five nations

To be clear I used a B- list - and game 1 with fighting combat we were reduced to fighting in 1 14" wide gap - and it just took too long, but given another turn or two I would have lost, game 2 was brush, no better for me we switched armies after deployment - and nothing much happened - I failed a waver test giving him a 1 - with mainly loose foot - the terrain and my opponent not wanting to concede by doing dumb stuff the game made it too slow for anything much to happen.
An A list by its nature can typically deal with some of these issues - guess taking fun lists to these tournaments has down sides - they are not multi-dimensional enough to handle all terrain types. Still had a blast though
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. You're saying that an abundance of terrain makes it less appealing to go outside the "A" lists, which is contrary to the conventional wisdom of denser terrain widening the range of tournament viable armies. Having not been there, I can neither agree nor disagree, but if your assessment is correct, then that's something to think about.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Terrain

My opinion is that a significant amount of slowing terrain (very dense and vision range impairing) is good for exactly no one, particularly near the middle of the table.

Randomly ending up on such a table or not ending up on one makes a big difference in your event experience.

We see relatively little close order foot as it is...although that's for more than one reason terrain is one of those reasons.

It currently feels like we all have to run armies and only armies with some significant amount of top quality loose order foot...and even then if there's a heavily terrained table the result may just be a draw, particularly against an opponent whose army cannot make use of the terrain and takes a defensive position due to that fact.

If I were setting pre-set terrain I would personally put no more than 2 very rough (woods/marsh like) terrain on any table, and no majority of any such feature anywhere in the central sector forward zones.

Frank
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Council of five nations

Mark - neither army I faced wa an a list either, but with high morale irr foot rough terrain hurts as much as it does for people who cannot fight in that terrain, I am quite comfortable that with a normal NICT army I would have had no issue on either board - as I have troops who can fight effectivekly accross most boards - no terrain would also be a challenge - I guess I would advocate for Mama bear terrain, especially in low key tourneys
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject:

There certainly was a fair amount of terrain and most people found ways around it or through it. All of my games were a 5-something score (see AAR if desired). In a "fun" tournament I would think that most people found a way to get into contact as best they could. We even had an "army swap" between Robert (E. Indian) and Dan (Hawaiian) on a heavy board which was fun to see.

I think that some balance is needed in armies to do at least ok in terrain. Later Crusader has some terrain troops.

Todd

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: more terrain

'A fair amount of terrain'...I did look at your AAR and you appeared to have enough frontage to send your knights into your opponents...that is, there was enough frontage to fight over.

I don't claim that all tables always have too much terrain, just that various terrain slow games and some tables have too much...and that this pushes army choices in certain directions.

All I want is sensible placement of the quality pre-set terrain we have in a manner that facilitates gameplay and army choice.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: