Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Story of an Incorrect List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: The Story of an Incorrect List

Six years ago this coming weekend at Cold Wars, I played in the Mini. I typically did not play while umping but there was nothing I could do about the odd number of players. Bill had brought lead (of course) and suggested I play Thracians. He had an army list ready to go. Twas a no-brainer as the army was easy to run, quick for most results and fun to play.

I was right on all three counts. I even did well:
http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=77242#77242

At no point did anybody question the list. I certainly didn’t given the time constraints of getting ready to play. Two months later (May 2013), I asked Bill to send me the list as I wanted to use it as a possible template for an ancient Spanish list. It was then that I noted that he’d costed the 12E LMI mobs incorrectly; he added enough points for the front rank to be Irr B, not Irr A as they were listed in the list. Therefore, I had a list that was 27pts over, not to mention the entire different tactical approach of Irr A vs Irr B in the front rank.

At some point, I played them again after having made adjustments per above but leaving everything else more or less the same. I’d swear I played in another Cold Wars Mini but don’t see me in any of the results. But let’s assume I did. The list then would have been one or two that Bill subsequently developed per the above. I think I played one that had 2 LI units and one LC unit instead of the other way around. Again, nobody questioned anything.

Earlier this month, in anticipation of being the odd player in the Mini, I again asked Bill to bring Thracians and I again sat down to look at the lists…to see that they were *still* incorrect.

The list is Early Hill Thracian. And yet, the list I last used had two generals, each being a 2E HC unit. Hill Thracians can’t have any HC other than the general’s element. Furthermore, I noted that the LC were shielded, another no-no for Early Hill Thracian. If you want shielded cav, it’s everybody and then you’re in the Mid and Late periods.

Thus, back in 2013, I had a list that was over-costed, had troops not available for it *and* had total flexibility with shields on cav. Good thing I didn't win!

I dutifully notified Bill of this. His hysterical reply: “Here is the line-listing of the troops in the box…pretty sure this covers everything, but let me know if you want some Elephants or scythed chariots. Evidently, no one will notice.”

Thus, I’ve got this killer Thracian list ready with P-armed El and 12E barbarian mobs with Irr A in the front rank. Y’all better hope there’s an even number of players.
Shocked Very Happy

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Scott,

While I can't speak for everyone, I know that mistakes are certainly made and some of them even bigger than yours. I don't think anyone would speak ill of you for your unintentional mistake - it happens. I screwed up a list 30 years ago that was about 200 points over..... and it was caught DURING the tournament.

Todd

It is not like your figures were based on the wrong bases and had extra figures fighting....
Wink Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Lists

I have been as much as 100 over and under - to my chagrin - either double counting a unit or not counting it at all - and it is always embarrassing- I also played an entire tournament with one unit never deployed - guess they were on R&R
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

I’ve managed to avoid this sort of difficulty. and have helped others do so...happy to look over lists as usual
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: