Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Later Crusader - new rendition of Holy Warrior

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Later Crusader - new rendition of Holy Warrior

Thought I would throw out a few lists from the new Holy Warrior in the spirit of its release.

I've run Later Crusader a few times and really like the list. Fair close foot for stability and ability to push a bit. Decent number of knights - some of which are Irreg A and now the Military Order knights can be impetuous without the need of a general.

The light cavalry is very good - being bow AND lance armed and a good mix of regular and irregular.

There is also the flavor of the time period - I am often inspired by history as well as playability and this army covers both.

The Assassin LMI B,Sh unit is very important - it serves as a nice flank support for the close foot, is an anti-elephant unit, able to go into terrain, etc.... you get the point.

Steve and I have debated the close foot Cb unit. Apparently in the Deep South that unit has been exposed and destroyed often. It is a costly unit for its purpose but I like it a lot. Certainly there are time when it is out of place but I've used it to stabilize a flank or even keep cavalry at by with a mix of LC and the Cb. Steve's idea was to drop the HI component and add at lease 4E to the unit making it a 10E unit. Certainly an option to do so - I can play around with that.

Later Crusader
1571 points – 54 scouting 

CinC 2E Ir B EHK/HK L,Sh + PA (178)
2E Ir A HK L,Sh (97)
2E Ir A HK L,Sh (97)
4E Turkopoles Ir C LC L,B,Sh/L,B (73)
6E Foot Sold. Ir C MI LTS,Sh (97)
6E Syrian Archers Ir D LI B (37)

Sub 2E Reg A EHK/HK L,Sh + P (138)
2E Military Order Reg A HK L,Sh (94)
2E Military Order Reg A HK L,Sh (94)
2E Military Turkopoles Reg C LC L,B,Sh (50)
2E Military Turkopoles Reg C LC L,B,Sh (50)
6E M.O. Foot Reg C HI/MI Cb (106)
6E Europeans Ir C LI B (49)
4E Assassin Civ. Militia Reg C LMI B,Sh (74)

18 units at the moment and 1574

you could take the 6E of Syrian Archers and get 2x 4E Syrian archers Ir D LI B - 31 each for 62

1599 55 scouting

Todd

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Later Crusader - new rendition of Holy Warrior

Cool way to take the list...I typically prefer a larger CB unit to HI front rank, but HI does make it able to shoot it out with enemy lights its width.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

What I like about the Later Crusader list is a very specific use case for Crusader Order: Fighting Meso Americans. What you'll want is at least one 16 figure unit of Reg C HI/MI LTS,Sh foot. Crusader Order allows the knights to get to 40p, in effect, without getting shot at. This creates a dilemma for the Meso American player. Does he skirmish, and get charged and caught by the knights, or does he stand, and get recoiled disordered by the LTS, who then do not follow up (thus negating circulating combatants), and then charges next bound with the LTS in the rallying disordered Mesos, routing them?

Obviously this is not trivial to set up. The Meso American player will counter back, doing so successfully 5 times out of 6. But it does create a place where the Crusader player can drive forward relentlessly, putting the pressure on the Meso American player to make all counters, cover all flanks as he falls back, and have enough room to the rear in which to fall back.

I'm still not sure what the Crusaders do in the face of elephants. Irr A dismounted knights maybe? No list matches up perfectly against all opponents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: