Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deployment when outscouted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhill4913@comcast.net
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Deployment when outscouted

As a player new to Warrior, I find most of my recent defeats seem to be the result of poor initial deployment. Assuming minimal terrain and using my 1600 pt HYWE army, can someone provide a few basic guidelines for deploying against the various basic army types? I run 7 knight units and a variety of LB units with a pair of LI units.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Deployment when outscouted

jhill4913@comcast.net wrote:
As a player new to Warrior, I find most of my recent defeats seem to be the result of poor initial deployment. Assuming minimal terrain and using my 1600 pt HYWE army, can someone provide a few basic guidelines for deploying against the various basic army types? I run 7 knight units and a variety of LB units with a pair of LI units.

You will want to deploy a minimal set of troops forward, to prevent the opponent marching past and pinning your rear troops.

Some/all of these units may need to force march, which you can certainly do outscouted, you cannot force march closer than 240p to center line, however.

Your other troops can then deploy in position to march where they will be most useful.

Terrain will be your friend...breaking up the battlefield and giving your longbowmen some places to operate more safely.

Do not try to fight across the entire table frontage, again, make use of terrain.

Last edited by Frank Gilson on Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Also..we all make deployment mistakes all the time...I freely admit to that.

Try to take a photo of your deployment when its done and then you can take notes about what went right, and what went wrong.
jhill4913@comcast.net
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Those are helpful guidelines but more specifically;

how should I deploy against an army of pike and elephants as opposed to an army of dense missile troops like the Aztecs? (Assume terrain neutral with a bit of woods on one side and some scrub on the other)
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject:

jhill4913@comcast.net wrote:
Those are helpful guidelines but more specifically;

how should I deploy against an army of pike and elephants as opposed to an army of dense missile troops like the Aztecs? (Assume terrain neutral with a bit of woods on one side and some scrub on the other)

I don't know that deployment is any different between those two scenarios. Execution will be different in some details, but will unfold from a similar deployment.

In all cases your longbowmen represent a puzzle for your opponent to solve. Unless he can project force to drive them back, they will wear him down by steadily pouring missile fire into him, with the perpetual threat of a timely +2 or +3 roll that creates an instant vulnerability. Take enough prep shots, and those up rolls become virtually inevitable.

For the pike and elephant player it's particularly difficult because the elephants don't like taking missile fire and longbow has a close range of 120p, making it difficult to get the elephants to any kind of useful charge range without taking a close range prep shot. Nothing in your army beats steady, fresh elephants straight up, but if you have some (not most) LHI LB with 2HCW you're in a much better position against tired and/or disordered elephants. Dismounted knights are also pretty happy against tired and/or disordered knights, and dismounted knights are happy to face pikemen.

Against Meso-American armies you are going to gradually lose the shooting war because they shoot shielded and your longbowmen do not. On the other hand you won't be outscouted, so you get more room to operate. This becomes a cat and mouse game where you try to counter back outside of 120p and accomplish something with long range shooting when your opponent can't shoot back. Even better if he just has dart; you can try to be between 80p and 120p where you get a close range shot and he gets nothing. If he's LTS,B then you should actually have the upper hand in shooting because his shooters are more expensive than yours so you will be more numerous. In all of these scenarios he is ultimately going to have to try and press and advantage with his best and highest morale foot troops. Your mounted can't just ride him over (because circulating combatants). But they can keep him from going into skirmish (because free waver test for you -- mounted charging foot in the open). And your dismounted knights will wreak havoc with anything in his army. So that's the dance.

The common denominator to both of these scenarios is that you have a core reserve of counter-punching troops: either knights who will dismount alongside LHI longbow, or a mix of mounted and dismounted knights. You want to harrass with a broad frontage of longbowen with well-anchored flanks, forcing your opponent to make a frontal push somewhere, and then you want to be able to quickly react (march moves one bound, approach moves the next) by moving your counter-punching troops to where he is trying to punch.

So the same deployment strategy is dictated in either case:
(1) Force march your LI to buy maneuver room;
(2) Protect your flanks with some combination of terrain and/or ditch;
(3) Spread your LMI longbow fire across a broad frontage between the anchored flanks;
(4) Have a reserve of counter-punching troops you can quickly move to the action once your opponent commits.
theblackprince
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

The big key with longbowmen is that they should almost always be in skirmish. This reduces the amount of things that can go wrong by a large amount.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: