Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Wars 2020 Doubles Theme: British Isles in the Dark Ages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Cold Wars 2020 Doubles Theme: British Isles in the Dark Ages

1 -- Scots-Irish (No Romans). 2050 points.
2 -- Picts. 2000 points.
3 -- Early Saxon (Army must either be Invasion of Britain or Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms of Britain). Invasion of Britain: 2050 points. Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms of Britain: 2000 points.
6 -- Romano-British (No Alans). 1900 points.
7 -- Sub-Roman British (No Alans). 2000 points.
8 -- Welsh. 2000 points.
27 -- Viking. 1900 points.
29 -- Norman/Western Frank (CinC must be Norman). 1900 points.
32 -- Pre-Feudal Scots (No HK). 2000 points
33 -- Norman Conquest Welsh (No HK). 2000 points
34 -- Norse Irish (No HK). 1900 points.
35 -- Boran Norse Irish. 2000 points.
36 -- Anglo-Danish. 2000 points.

Theme Rules:

-No HK in any list. If we missed an HK upgrade in the above listing, don't buy it.

-JLS armed cav fight 1.5 ranks in HTH combat versus any foot when charging, counter charging and pursuing.

-Barbarian Foot Rules in effect with the following addition:
Under 2(a), add "following up" as a new condition for counting 3rd/4th ranks in HTH.

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Thoughts?

As I've posted on the Elephant theme for Historicon 2020...would love to hear thoughts on this theme.

How do you plan to avoid just having big foot blobs hitting other big foot blobs with the result being up to your die rolls...not your skill?
scott holder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject:

http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=80789#80789

scott

pitgamer
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: A new and splendiferous event?

Wait, we're having a theme for doubles? obvs missed the memo on this. -- Bill the Younger
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: A new and splendiferous event?

pitgamer wrote:
Wait, we're having a theme for doubles? obvs missed the memo on this. -- Bill the Younger

You'll have to think about what army you want to run...and with whom!
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject:

This is going to be a tough theme for which to field an army. Having inventoried my current figure collection, I'm about 150 figures short for what I'd need. I'm willing to do a moderate amount of painting and purchasing between now and Cold Wars, but I'm likely to need to borrow some figures in order to make this work.

I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. Hopefully our "lending library" is strong enough to support all this.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Mark Stone wrote:
This is going to be a tough theme for which to field an army. Having inventoried my current figure collection, I'm about 150 figures short for what I'd need. I'm willing to do a moderate amount of painting and purchasing between now and Cold Wars, but I'm likely to need to borrow some figures in order to make this work.

I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. Hopefully our "lending library" is strong enough to support all this.

It's usually possible to find figures you're missing to complete an army...there's also plenty of advance notice.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Theme

So I have a lot of lead as Todd and I will be getting lead from Scott - post waht you want or message me and I will see what I can do - I have about 100 awful viking figures, lost of knights, 200 LTS medieval figs etc
pitgamer
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Bring on the Normans?

I'm a past master at Norman "Guys Who Think They Are Knights but Are Actually HC, Poor Bastards." Well, to be clear, I am a past master of sending them on suicidal charges, my plan being that they roll up. A lot.

So a tournament where they don't have to face a million guys with bows, or lots of puffy brown clouds of dust which hide hordes (literally) of LC, or tons of guys with clubs with skulls on them, or huge alien beasts that they can't even hurt, or (and this is the absolute worst) actual knights in shining armor with lots of pretty flags sounds awesome.

But who's up for painting me a 25 mm Norman "Bunch of Violent Psychopaths and Their Servants (With Some Peasants) Who Imagine They Constitute an Army "? Aye, that's the rub. Very Happy

-- Bill the Younger
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm essentially loaning Rob and Todd my army.

There's plenty of Dark Age lead out there, that ain't gonna be an issue.

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject:

scott holder wrote:
I'm essentially loaning Rob and Todd my army.

There's plenty of Dark Age lead out there, that ain't gonna be an issue.

I've found an army that I didn't expect to find that will be fun to play. The lead is not a major deviation from the typical lists for this theme. And Alex and I have decided to re-unite our father-son team for the first time in far too many years. So I'm looking forward to the event.

I am a little worried that everyone will be looking to borrow the same type of lead at the same time, putting our lending library under strain. But if you think we are in good shape, I'll trust to that.

Should be fun. There won't be many low scoring games in this theme.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject:

Having (finally!) looked at a few lists for this now: flanks are not going to be in great evidence, but the tables may collapse under weight of lead! That is a LOT of figures.

I do suspect that the concern regarding pure dicefest may be valid. There are worse ways to spend a day Razz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: