Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fall In 2019 Events

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Fall In 2019 Events

Players must check in 30 minutes prior to listed start time.
GM: Scott McDonald

Friday:

Warrior 25mm Mini Open
Noon-9:30pm
1200pt army, 2.5 hour rounds, 6x5 tables
Round 1: Noon, Round 2: 3:30pm, Round 3: 7pm

Saturday:

Warrior 25mm Open
9am-11pm
1600pt army, 3.5 hour rounds, 8x5 tables
25mm
Round 1: 9am, Round 2: 1:30pm, Round 3: 7pm

One list. Generals must be rolled (see below). Fair and open (no weather rolls). Preset terrain.

All games will end abruptly on schedule with the exception that the current phase will be finished (e.g., if the game is in the charge phase, then it will be finished; the game ends without playing the H-T-H combat phase).

Special Rules:

-JLS armed cav fight 1.5 ranks in HTH combat versus any foot when charging, counter charging and pursuing.

-Barbarian Foot Rules in effect with the following addition:
Under 2(a), add "following up" as a new condition for counting 3rd/4th ranks in HTH.

-X-Rules 2.512, 2.52/53, 5.11, 6.2, 11.1 and 17.1/2 in use.

-Biblical, Dark Age and Holy Warrior lists must come from the new lists.

-New World Beta lists allowed:
http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17275

-African Warrior lists allowed:
http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17284

-Roman Civil Wars Theme lists allowed:
http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17498

-Armies with Army Standard and an option for a Sacred Standard may upgrade to the latter for free.

-General character of 5 can be Bold or reroll on Special General’s table (CinC can choose to roll regardless): 1 Bleeder. General has a physical defect that makes him more prone to a catastrophe. In Hand to Hand, if the Bleeder's unit takes 2 CPF or more, and makes a unmodified melee roll of -2, -3, or -4, forces a catastrophe. In preparatory shooting, if the Bleeder's unit is takes 2 CPF and the missile fire die roll is +2 or higher, forces a catastrophe. 2 Inattentive. General is sick or wounded. General gets only 10 prompt points a turn. 3 Efficient General gets 20 prompt points. 4 Brave, General’s unit always adds an additional +1 in melee (So a down 3 roll for a Regular B General is even). 5 Inspirational. Unit with general is never uneasy. If the General is the CIC then all units within 120 paces are never uneasy. 6 Great. General is Efficient, Brave, and Inspirational.

All morale grades for troops MUST BE DEFINED DURING DEPLOYMENT.

Deployment Rules:

http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17378
and use the section DIFFERENT METHOD FOR PLACING COMMANDS. Basically, do it like we did at Hcon.

If you need a loaner, post here and see what Bill Low can bring.

scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Entry edited to note slight change (test) in the Barbarian Foot Rules.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Fall In - mounted with Javelin

I see monted with Javelin fights rank and a half against foot but not mounted - thought last year the ability to do both went well. Interested as I would love to see some of the Jls armed troops that dont get cheese in lists - not sure this does it
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fall In - mounted with Javelin

lilroblis wrote:
I see monted with Javelin fights rank and a half against foot but not mounted - thought last year the ability to do both went well. Interested as I would love to see some of the Jls armed troops that dont get cheese in lists - not sure this does it

There are some few JLS mounted who get 1.5 ranks already.

Lance certainly does.

Making all JLS mounted get that would be...not something contemplated for reasons of gameplay and utility across armies, as well as history.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Mounted and jls

So history says that numidian cavalry was elite for its day, as an example there are many more - but they suck.
Persian cavalry was feared for hundreds of years, and lst to macedonian lancers - but the macedonians did not romp through them - however you will not see a persian army with its elite cavalry on any warrior table - becaus ethey just get ridden down - ther is no contest. The great ancient scribes assigned the arrival of armored lances as the demise of jls armed cavalry - not just lance armored lance.
Jls armed cavalry replaced chariots - some economic some because they were better - not in these rules. My problem is the rules select out most armies that have jls armed cavalry as being competitive despite their being world beaters in their time - I would like to see them on the board. I have run the numbers elsewhere - one rank jls cavalry are just a target - try charing 3 points more for lance or rank and a half and maybe they are usable - otherwise you have eliminated most of you ancient and dark ages armies from seeing th ebattlefield.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounted and jls

lilroblis wrote:
So history says that numidian cavalry was elite for its day, as an example there are many more - but they suck.
Persian cavalry was feared for hundreds of years, and lst to macedonian lancers - but the macedonians did not romp through them - however you will not see a persian army with its elite cavalry on any warrior table - becaus ethey just get ridden down - ther is no contest. The great ancient scribes assigned the arrival of armored lances as the demise of jls armed cavalry - not just lance armored lance.
Jls armed cavalry replaced chariots - some economic some because they were better - not in these rules. My problem is the rules select out most armies that have jls armed cavalry as being competitive despite their being world beaters in their time - I would like to see them on the board. I have run the numbers elsewhere - one rank jls cavalry are just a target - try charing 3 points more for lance or rank and a half and maybe they are usable - otherwise you have eliminated most of you ancient and dark ages armies from seeing th ebattlefield.

We don't see ancient Persians because they're worse than...their opponents, most of whom through their period had little to no lance cavalry (Hoplites).

Are JLS cavalry better than chariots? that is, were they? I don't know the history. They certainly aren't better than chariots in Warrior.

We're not blanket giving JLS cavalry 1.5 ranks, ever.

There will be poor lists always, pathetically struggling, look at the good things you've got.
scott holder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

I've led an extensive email discussion with Bill and Frank about the historical issues I have with what Rob suggests. I'm comfortable with my analysis and how we're currently doing things.

However, "the guys" at Hcon who proposed what we're going to do at FI (and what they're doing at C5K) made sense in terms of the "systems approach" we've always taken with Warrior. While I was fine with how (crappy) non-wedging JLS-armed cav compared to other cav, the entire cav-on-foot dynamic was a different story, hence this trial.

Remember that bringing chariots into any overall picture when looking at historical context ignores the underlying (poor) economics of chariots when compared just to cav (ie, If chariots were so much better, why did they get abandoned? Easy, stoopidly expensive to produce and maintain plus transport plus tactical limitations of battlegrounds) and the biological development of the horse (chariots began to disappear when horses were finally bred large enough to effectively mount a rider). Combine those two factors and you see why, for the most part, chariots went away.

Okay, we've gone off the "Events" issue and into one of these meta, philosophical disccusions that we all know I love. Rolling Eyes

scott

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Fall in - who is attending

I will not be at Fall in this year - hope it is a good event however
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: