Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roman Rules Players Guide

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Roman Rules Players Guide

The file (you must be logged on to download) contains updated Roman Rules to include which lists get what.

More importantly, it includes a set of Roman X-Rules which are our latest attempt to deal with the age old problem of "How To Make Early Imperial Romans Viable".

I encourage folks to use all of these X-Rules and provide feedback.

scott

Last edited by scott holder on Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Suggestions

A table so that you could see directly which troop types get which rule. I think I understand how that is going but I could be wrong that you intend for Late Imperial Roman legionairres to get the X rule to move 120 and march on 3 and no other rules, but I might get it wrong.
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

Hmmmm, I need to plow back thru emails on this. At the very least you have it backwards. LIR Legionaries get the 5 pt Command pt rule.

And the lists with Auxilia get the 1 Scouting Pt rule (and such Auxilia pay 5 Command Points).

What I'm not sure about is the movement for legionaries starting MIR Post-Severan. We might have goofed in the flurry of emails.

scott

jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Really, LIR legionaires deserve the speed boost so they can run down skirmishers like medium camels, loose foot, and light infantry. Smile
scott holder

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Revised for clarity. Table added.

Now dated 3 May. If you are one of the three people who downloaded the 1 May version, you need to download again.

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:50 am    Post subject:

scott holder wrote:
Revised for clarity. Table added.

Now dated 3 May. If you are one of the three people who downloaded the 1 May version, you need to download again.

Thanks for this, Scott. The table is very helpful.
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject:

New version of this has been posted. New Roman X rule:

X 5.51 (R). Troops checked in the table and those named “Roman Legionaries” in lists Classical Warrior #36 (Numidian), Imperial Warrior #3 (Early German), #6 (Nabataean Arab), #8 (Bosporan), #14 (Later Judean) and #16 (Ancient British), add “1” to any waver test die roll.

Nicholas Rowe
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:16 am    Post subject:

scott holder wrote:
New version of this has been posted. New Roman X rule:

X 5.51 (R). Troops checked in the table and those named “Roman Legionaries” in lists Classical Warrior #36 (Numidian), Imperial Warrior #3 (Early German), #6 (Nabataean Arab), #8 (Bosporan), #14 (Later Judean) and #16 (Ancient British), add “1” to any waver test die roll.

I can't help but feel that this is a step too far in trying to make Romans more playable. It doesn't reflect any unique factor of Roman arms or tactics; it's just a buff for the sake of buffing. Romans, even Praetorians, did not automatically stand in the face of danger. I think that either this x-rule should either be scrapped or the beneficiaries should be shifted to Reg D troops like Raw Legionaries or Penal Legionaries.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Nick - I don't disagree with you on this. This new X-rule makes the Romans able to experience a break and then no one fails around them if they are B.

However, as an x-rule - it does not need to enter play unless the umpire allows it.

Locally, as I am typically the umpire, I LOVE the Roman rules, but probably wouldn't go for this one.

Todd

scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Nothing new that gets posted get's "scrapped" before it gets played.

You don't think we don't put a *lot* of mental effort into this? Bill and I don't just pull this crap outta our butts and post for the hell of it. The "Roman Issue" has plagued this system for decades, this X Rule won't throw things outta whack.

The problem in the history of the development of this game is that we take tiny steps when we should be taking big steps and *then* potentially walking stuff back. Given where we are with this game, that's the idea going forward.

It's an X-rule. If somebody wants to implement it at an event, then the players simply deal with it.

And yes, any event I run, this X-rule will be in play. If we find out after time that's it's nuts, me and Bill can revisit it. If it means we see more EIR armies, that's a feature, not a bug. Also too, we're familiar with the mechanics and interplay here, again, it's written as we intended it to play.

Everybody feel free to *play* this many times to see how it works. Then I take opinions with such experience behind them seriously.

scott

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject:

scott holder wrote:
Nothing new that gets posted get's "scrapped" before it gets played.

You don't think we don't put a *lot* of mental effort into this? Bill and I don't just pull this crap outta our butts and post for the hell of it. The "Roman Issue" has plagued this system for decades, this X Rule won't throw things outta whack.

The problem in the history of the development of this game is that we take tiny steps when we should be taking big steps and *then* potentially walking stuff back. Given where we are with this game, that's the idea going forward.

It's an X-rule. If somebody wants to implement it at an event, then the players simply deal with it.

And yes, any event I run, this X-rule will be in play. If we find out after time that's it's nuts, me and Bill can revisit it. If it means we see more EIR armies, that's a feature, not a bug. Also too, we're familiar with the mechanics and interplay here, again, it's written as we intended it to play.

Everybody feel free to *play* this many times to see how it works. Then I take opinions with such experience behind them seriously.

scott

Generating data by playing games and testing these things is important...however...we don't play nearly enough games.

Not going to calculate the exact volume for a statistical significance...etc...but honestly around 40 games between the very same two armies, played by the very same players, would get there.

Otherwise we're talking anecdotes, mostly.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: