Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roll 20 African Tournament Lists

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> List Lore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben M
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Roll 20 African Tournament Lists

Hello friends! I figured now that the tournament is(almost) done, we could all post our lists here for discussion and/or help for those revising the book. Had a lot of fun!

I choose Riverine Trading Cities(a very unique choice, I know....) as I was excited to toy around with the HG list rules and see how my HK would match up against the inferior(mainly) EHC.

Here is my list:

Name Cost
2 CinC Rg B HK L, SH 161
2 Sub Rg B HK L, SH 103
2 Rg B HK L, SH 88
2 Ir B EHC/HC L, SH 85
2 Ir B EHC/HC L, SH 85
4 Rg B LHI/LMI HG/CB, 1HCW, SH 122
4 Rg C LMI JLS, B, SH 90
4 Rg C LMI JLS, S, SH 90
12 Ir D(1C) MI LTS, SH/LTS 101
6 Rg D LMI B, SH/B 70
6 Rg D LMI B, SH/B 70
2 Rg C LC JLS, SH 42
2 Rg C LC JLS, SH 42
2 Rg C LC JLS, SH 42
6 Ir D LI JLS, 4E SH 47
1604 w/ 25 scouting

The two main things I felt dissatisfied with were the LI JLS, SH(should have been sling or bow, and maybe all C class) and the two units of 6E Rg D LMI B(two out of my three games one of these guys was stuck in column in my backfield trying to get into the action).

Exited to hear your thoughts!

Young squire
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Ben
Good tournament - I will post my list - but I love the lmi, B 1/2 sh - but I tend to be aggressive on deployment - its hard to get into combat with foot unless they deploy to approach IMHO - others run very differently of course
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Kanem Borno

CinC wPA w EHC L,Jls, sh reg B 118 10 199
Sub EHC/HC L,Jls, sh Reg B 25 124
EHC/HC L,Jls,Sh Irr B 25 91
Li,jls, sh Reg c 26
LC, L,B,sh Reg C 50
LC, L,B,sh Reg C 50
LC, L,B,sh Reg C 50
Li,sl,sh Reg c 42
Li,jls, sh Reg c 26
Lc B Irr C 25 89
MI, 1/3 LTS,JLS, D,Sh, 1/3 LTS,jls,d IrrD/c 4 25 113
LMI, LTS, JLs, Sh Reg B 122
LMI, B, 1/2 sh Reg D 70
Ghulam Guards LMI HG,jls,sh Reg B/C 48 98
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject:

Reg B LMI LMI has dart as well
Ben M
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Kanem Borno

lilroblis wrote:
CinC wPA w EHC L,Jls, sh reg B 118 10 199
Sub EHC/HC L,Jls, sh Reg B 25 124
EHC/HC L,Jls,Sh Irr B 25 91
Li,jls, sh Reg c 26
LC, L,B,sh Reg C 50
LC, L,B,sh Reg C 50
LC, L,B,sh Reg C 50
Li,sl,sh Reg c 42
Li,jls, sh Reg c 26
Lc B Irr C 25 89
LMI, B, 1/2 sh Reg D 70

Reg B Peltasts! With Dart! Awesome troops, those guys. I think it's really interesting how our three K-B players decided to run the list. Frank ran little foot entirely, perhaps his list was the best suited for this particular tournament. However, maybe if you're bringing K-B to an open you use some of the high-morale dual-armed foot?

In regards to your previous point about the LMI B, one of my problems was that with only 25 scouting, I had to deploy first in two of my games. With the Reg B and C guys, that's mostly ok, as you can deploy them on the front line without much worry. However, I was nervous about putting my Reg D guys on the front lines with my opponent being able to get an armored lancer charge off bound 1. These guys are great, though, when you're able to deploy them second and slap them in front of some enemy LC.

Riverine doesn't have a ton of other LC available, they do have options with Irr B LC L, JLS, SH(basically the Lithuanians from Feudal). Great LC, but expensive.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: My Kanem Bornu

I decided to use one of the most flexible and efficient lists in African Warrior, Kanem Bornu.

I also decided to run it in a manner designed to defeat enemy African lists.

CinC 2E Irr B EHC/HC L,JLS,Sh (no standard)
Sub similar (again, no standard)
3 units of 2E Reg C LI JLS,Sh
2 units of 6E Irr C LC L,JLS,Sh
8E Irr D(1 C) LI S,Sh/B
4 units of 2E Irr B EHC/HC L,JLS,Sh
2 units of 2E Irr B SHC/HC L,Sh/L,JLS,Sh
4E Reg C LMI JLS,B,Sh
4E Reg B LMI JLS,B,Sh
2 units of 9E Irr D(1 C) MI LTS,JLS,Sh(4)/LTS,JLS(4)/LTS(1)

This is as point-savings-efficient as I could make it...and I reasoned that being mostly mounted with some armor and JLS in conjunction with Lance would permit several strong attacks against various infantry opponents.

My infantry, excepting the MI, are designed to hold some terrain or against enemy infantry, open space, here and there.

The LC are designed to attack if possible, or just evade.

At 57 scouting points, that should be enough to have deployment advantage against many armies...and it was.

The two MI units are special purpose, being attacking units capable of using full Barbarian Infantry Rules. I deliberately didn't equip them with Dart or rear Bow because they're designed to charge...and be 2, 3, or 4E wide as necessary. I also don't need dart as I can charge things that might otherwise prove a problem with my lancers.

Thus, the MI can force enemy loose into skirmish (or destroy them if they choose to fight), while the lancers can charge said skirmishers, causing wavers and perhaps dicing long in pursuit and hitting shieldless LMI in the rear (which did happen, although only once).

As for enemy HK on Riverine lists, the lancer on lancer combat isn't that big a deal given the supports around my lancers...also, if I can put 1 CPF with a little shooting on the HK, they hit tired and it's 5@6 in both cases.

The cataphracts ignore JLS + and can charge things with Dart or Bow that might give pause to the EHC (particularly those also with LTS).

Also, no army standard is needed as eagerness is either from being Reg B, Irr B or for the MI, Barbarian Rules.

This is, of course, not the version I would run in an Open event with SHK and Elephants running around...that would be:
CinC 2E Irr B EHC/HC L,JLS,Sh 152
Sub similar 102
2x2E Irr B EHC/HC L,JLS,Sh 182
4x9E Irr D(1 C) MI LTS,JLS,D,Sh(3)/
LTS,JLS,D(3)/B(3) 500
8E Irr C LC B 89
3x2E Reg C LC L,B,Sh 150
2x2E Reg C LI JLS,Sh 52
12E Irr D(1 C) MI B,Sh/B 101
3x4E Reg C LMI JLS,B,Sh 270 = 1598
18 units, 2 cmds, 52 scouting

Note in this version a much greater use of missile weapons, including Darts for the MI who can now be 2E or 3E wide and shoot well (from 80p) in conjunction with fighting well, and oppose at least Elephants quite capably, if not SHK so much (who would typically dismount as SHI for such a fight). There's also a big space holding MI B,Sh/B unit...highly efficient. Some terrain units exist (LI and LMI) not intended to win, but keep enemy from advancing. The lights are also not intended to fight, but fade on the part of the table you don't have plans to attack on.

Would I run the list in an Open anyway? Well...personally probably not...I have too many other lists higher on my priority 'list' of lists to run.

If you run Kanem Bornu, I encourage you to have 9E Barbarian Infantry Rules capable MI units...not 6E or 8E...fill in with cheap Irr D MI B.

Yes, Reg B LMI LTS,JLS,D,Sh are great guys...but...can be ignored or in some cases defeated...while concentrating a lot of your points in a small space...still, there is probably a Late version of the list using them that can work well. I personally would rather have one of the 9E MI units...just don't waver test with them!

Frank
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reg D bowmen

Ben - I typically put them near terrain or on flanks - where I dont care - unless knights charge them they ahve a decent chance of winning or taking the unit out of the game - for 70 points a good outcome - I lost two games badly - my reg D lmi never even took a waver test - never mind failing one - they are great at what they do, but they are certainly not varangians
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> List Lore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: