Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Wars 2022 Cancelled -- Alternatives ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Cold Wars 2022 Cancelled -- Alternatives ?

HMGS just e-blasted the news that they're cancelling Cold Wars 2022 primarily for two reasons: 1) the Ocean City location met with an apparent ton of vendor resistance, meaning "vendors weren't coming", and 2) the 1 April date is the weekend after Adepticon.

So, what can we as a group do about this? We go to these cons to play Warrior and not much else. Thus, we could attempt to do this on our own in March around the time Cold Wars typically happens.

I'm thinking that it would be a 2-day event like we always do: Mini on Friday, Doubles on Saturday.

Obviously this would have to occur in a centralized location in/around PA, or even further north. Somebody would hafta find a facility, we wouldn't need much. It's not the kind of coordination/research I can do from out here. But if some folks want to look into this, I'd be more than willing to come back.

scott

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject:

For me, that would be an *improvement*. I'd go, whereas I was not likely going to CW.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject:

I was going to go...but primarily as I have not face-to-faced in a very long time, grumbling all the way about the location.

It would seem the HMGS brass should have presented potential location surveys in regard to interest?

This seems like a huge ball dropped scenario on their part.

Anyway...I'd be likely to attend a two day Warrior thing, depending on the details.
ghauser90
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject:

I was planning on coming North for Cold Wars. If we have an alternative I would be willing to travel from Tampa.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Wars 2022 Cancelled -- Alternatives ?

scott holder wrote:
HMGS just e-blasted the news that they're cancelling Cold Wars 2022 primarily for two reasons: 1) the Ocean City location met with an apparent ton of vendor resistance, meaning "vendors weren't coming", and 2) the 1 April date is the weekend after Adepticon.

So, what can we as a group do about this? We go to these cons to play Warrior and not much else. Thus, we could attempt to do this on our own in March around the time Cold Wars typically happens.

I'm thinking that it would be a 2-day event like we always do: Mini on Friday, Doubles on Saturday.

Obviously this would have to occur in a centralized location in/around PA, or even further north. Somebody would hafta find a facility, we wouldn't need much. It's not the kind of coordination/research I can do from out here. But if some folks want to look into this, I'd be more than willing to come back.

scott

You'd want to check with Florida folks...as if they'd not be attending, it could be farther north than PA.
theblackprince
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject:

I think the idea of a seperate Warrior spring event is a good one. I might suggest something closer to the NYC/New England area based on proximity to people and airports. With the convention and usual table fees put towards it, we might well be able to get a large conference room in a 3 star-ish hotel.

Maybe push it a bit also, late April/early May perhaps.

We should get a headcount for general interest and then eventually would need some money upfront for the space.

Rochester might not be the very best call because of the relative remoteness to airports (a good airport ROC, but a connection from many places) and people (4 hours west of Albany,
6.5 hrs from NYC/Boston), but I could do some leg work here on possible options and likely reasonable. Magnolias are in full bloom here in early May though, or better yet, the Lilacs in mid-May (a legit thing to those who haven't been here- google Lilac Festival). Bona fide wine country as well (I am starting to sound like the tourist board).

The old "Rochester group" (Frank, Mark, Greg, Jevon, Sean, Chris S, myself others?) would get a +1 on all terrain picks for home climate.

Get Scott that garbage plate again for old times sake...
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject:

I won't come back for anything in April or later. This needs to happen in March, otherwise, count me out.

This focus on airports shouldn't be a factor just like it wasn't for Ocean City--these events have few people actually flying in for them, people like me, Mark and Frank are rare exceptions.

Our geographic center means we should stick to the general area we've been in, mainly PA. NJ would work but when you start moving further north, it potentially hits the VA folks.

Not going to Rochester either, too far north.

This will come down to initiative on people in the general region finding some place that allows us to be there until 11pm-ish on a Saturday night. And has sufficient tables on site.

Don't get me wrong, if somebody wants to host something in April/May, knock yourselves out. I won't be there.

scott

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm in for March as well - PA/NJ is fine as we can gather in basecamp Woyke or basecamp Low the night prior to the trip. March is easier for me with baseball coaching.

I'd love to have something to look forward to - even willing to ump the Theme if Scott wants a break and wants to play. I can play with Robert and be called away allowing Robert to take over if needed while I answer questions. Happy to just play as well.

Todd

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Cold wars

I would come - probably Saturday only - MY 40 year High School reunioin in SA, maine and Gaming - something has to give - Friday of a con seems the best answer right now
Dan Woyke
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: alternatives

Gents,

Let me get together with a few people and look at the surrounding area's
(CT, NY, NJ, PA towards us..if that worked) and see what I can find or we can explore

1: March-ish time frame
2: Centralised around some major airports

Give me a few days and I will report back to the group with a few ideas

DW
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Todd Kaeser wrote:
I'd love to have something to look forward to - even willing to ump the Theme if Scott wants a break and wants to play. I can play with Robert and be called away allowing Robert to take over if needed while I answer questions. Happy to just play as well.

Todd

No theme, Mini/Doubles.

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Cold wars

Thanks Dan
I could probably organize in Ohio - but Cleveland appears to be Miniature gaming Siberia
Dan Woyke
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Robert,

Believe-land is great!

Siberia not so much!

DW
Dan Woyke
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Gents,

Made some calls! (Price/Distance/airports)

1: CT (Checked two places I know (waiting to hear)
2: Albany/Schenectady area (seems far, it is not, and anyone flying in can be grabbed easily from NYC airports.and driven up) (waiting to hear)
3: Looking at NJ/PA

DW
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Dan Woyke wrote:
Gents,

Made some calls! (Price/Distance/airports)

1: CT (Checked two places I know (waiting to hear)
2: Albany/Schenectady area (seems far, it is not, and anyone flying in can be grabbed easily from NYC airports.and driven up) (waiting to hear)
3: Looking at NJ/PA

DW

Awesome, thanks, Dan...let's keep tabs on the emerging Omicron situation as well...as if it gets bad again there's not going to be much flying anywhere.

Apart from that, these cancellations and whatnot are good reason to keep playing with us on Roll20, as many have done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: