Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historicon 2022 AAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Historicon 2022 AAR

NICT

1) Dave Stier, French Ordonnance, 52.6
2) Ewan McNay, Khmer, 40.7
3) Greg Hauser, L Ottoman Turk, 37.2
4) Dave Markowitz, Komnenan Byzantine, 25
5) Scott McDonald, Mongol, 24.7
6) Dan Woyke, Inca, 24.5
7) Frank Gilson, Middle Elamite, 21.9
8) Todd Kaeser, Rajput, 20.7
9) Bill Low, Aztec, 20
10) Mark Stone, Shang Chinese, 19.9
11) Rick Kroupa, Kushan, 18
12) Chris Schulitz, Later Paleologan Byzantine, 15
13) Nick Rowe, Han Chinese, 14.3
14) Matt Kollmer, Timurid, 10.7

Elephant Theme

1) Dave Markowitz, Marian Roman, 20
2) Frank Gilson, Khmer, 17
3) Dan Woyke, Early Indian, 12.3
4) Scott McDonald, Burmese, 12
5) Ewan McNay, Late Carthaginian, 11.8
6) Todd Kaeser, Sultanate of Delhi, 11.7
7) Bill Low, Viyan Indian, 11
8) Scott Holder, Numidian, 7.2
9) Nick Rowe, Ghaznavid, 4.7
10) Rick Kroupa, Khmer, 3.8

Sportsman: Todd Kaeser. Other nominees: Scott McDonald, Ewan McNay, Dave Markowitz.
Best Camp: Matt Kollmer (Timurid).

If you have a detailed, round-by-round battle report, please post it in the Battle Reports sections.

scott

Last edited by scott holder on Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject:

FYI, HMGS just sent out an e-blast saying somebody attending the full weekend went home and tested positive for the plague.

Which shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody who attended.

Do with this info what you will. Rolling Eyes

scott

Last edited by scott holder on Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Not detailed, but:

* Carthage was OK. Known problems of not having shooters either to inflict damage or to act as a priority target that was not my own elephants. Hannibal led from the front every game. First combat of the tournament I had IrrA Scutarii downhill into a 2E el unit, and lost - they did not roll up at any time all day. Oh well. Foot worked fine in general.

* Khmer was also OK and would have benefitted from my ever seeing the army before Thursday Smile. Even so, 4 decent wins (3 5s and a 4-0 vs Frank); the one loss was to Dave S but really to the frozen lake, which devoured a big El unit on the first die roll (turns out I didn't need to make it, as the rules had an exception for 40p moves, but I didn't know that at the time!) and caused the Sub adjacent to fail and the whole command to insta-flee the table in retirement. That was rapidly followed by the first combat dieroll of the game being a +3 against my Khmer CinC with his sacred standard. Game over on two dierolls in about 30 min tops! Otherwise it proved very durable and especially so on the Sat where the more limited frontage of combat generally favoured me; in all games the Burmese were the shock troops and very effective as such.

* We need to do more planning and find a better spot to hang out after the gaming next year!
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject:

We could have moved operations up to the second floor hallway/balcony area. All the games were done by then, lots of chairs, very quiet. I scoped it out after I got back Sat night and made a mental note.

Personal booze would have been easy there. Wink

scott

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject:

In NCT Elamites just take too long to set up (huge army) and too long to gain advantage, which is purely through shooting. Moving all the troops took a lot of time too...only got through 4 bounds with Todd.

The Unreliable general dicing a 1 and going to Wait...unfixed until Bound 4 didn't help against Dave.

Also, on a narrowed frontage due to terrain, not much I can do against Khmer other than shoot bows at generals and hope for a good die roll wounding one...or a failed waver for 2 CPF to an elephant unit...none of which occurred.

Did scare Ewan with a successful flank march, though...
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject:

For sure. Khmer is *not* a manouvre army, and a 6E reg LMI bow block appearing behind my flank bound 2 was a pain to deal with.

I was surprised that you did not go for more density of shooting, with massed HCh/LMI units.
theblackprince
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:29 pm    Post subject:

I was fortunate against the Khmer for sure, 16 elephants is no kind of favorable matchup for a knight army. I actually had some decent shooting, but Khmer are very resistant to that.

Joan pretty much single-handedly defeated the Elamites by rolling +2 on command and then countering to ride over some tenacious LMI that has already seen off another SHK unit.

My main stratagem overall coming in was to not try to fight over the entire table, rather concentrate on about a 10-12 element area where I could mass my 6 SHK units and two strong 2HCT and B units. Use terrain and reasonable lights to screen off the other parts of the table.

Thanks to all for an enjoyable event and especially to Scott for umpiring and all the others who brought extra lead, terrain etc. Many people came a *long* way to attend, and I salute them.
Nicholas Rowe
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject:

I think I did pretty well for my first time in person (which, just as people said, is very different from what we do in roll20). My Han did pretty well after I got into the groove, but my Ghaznavids did not. Irregular C cavalry in an elephant theme was a bad call, elephant-proof or no. Often I didn't have enough time to grasp significant results, and rolling 1s about half the times I tried to counter or waver with reg A/B troops did not help me one bit. In any case, I had fun.

Kudos to Todd for my camp, the dragon procession. It was very well-painted and it drew attention and comment from nearly everyone who passed by. I was honestly surprised it didn't win the award!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: