Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ed Kollmer Has Passed Away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Ed Kollmer Has Passed Away

His son Matt emailed a group of us Thursday night. In part:

Quote:
Dad passed late last night of unexpected (at least in that exact moment) complications with his respiratory system leading to ultimate heart failure.

Dad truly thought the world of our “band of brothers” .... our small hold that is our Warrior family. Remember him fondly as he fondly held you each dear.

When my grandfather died, my father recited this to me, attempting to comfort, which on some strange level, it did.... in dads own quirky way:

Lo there do I see my father,
Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers
Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning
They do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla
We’re the brave may live forever.....”

Take care my friends until we cross paths again.

I figured "Battle Reports" was the best place to announce this sad news given Ed the Rash's frequent posts here over the years.

I'm sure the gang at the July event at Bill's place will pause for a moment to remember a man who was universally loved by those who crossed his path over the years. I'll do the same when we all eventually get back together.

scott

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Ed the Rash

He will be missed - RIP
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject:

As it has been 2 years since Ed passed, I wanted to share my thoughts here as well.

Ed's number still comes up when I text Matt, so I think of him often.

The funny thing about the nickname Ed the Rash is that we gave that to him in order to encourage him to attack more often. Ed was defensive in nature, and he took the new nickname to heart - being the attacker allowed him to have more fun in his battles I believe. He embraced it as he embraced life.

Ed loved mediocre armies that touched his historical heart.

Hoplite Greek - Spartan

Andalusian - El Cid (how many times did the Cid die in combat we may never know, but it was frequent)

Nikephorian Byzantine - he loved playing it before all the Byzantine rules made it a good army and so many of his battle reports are of this army and Michael.

Medieval German Princes - Otto of the Silver Hand

When Ed began to have struggles medically, I found myself making 1-2 trips year out to western Mass to have a battle with him. A lot of driving, but worth the trip. Ed had a gaming table set up in his garage and we would try to have fun games.

They are, of course, found here in battle reports. Ed loved playing his Nik Byzantines with loads of cavalry and 3 generals. I met him multiple times with Christian Nubian, Early Bulgar, Abbysinian, KoSJ, etc.... Every trip was worth the joy of sharing Ed's company. Bill also sponsored events at the Barrington Library and the Red Lion. One of my greatest joys was painting a 25mm army (lead provided by Bill of course) for Ed as his "presentation" army. Andalusian and El Cid - of course. Sadly, he only got to play it a few times before he passed, but the Ed's love of El Cid will live on.

Ed passed during the height of Covid - and of course we were involved in a game of Diplomacy that Matt was running through texting across New England. Ed was the Great Russian Bear and I was Germany. A shaky alliance I was just beginning to make my move north when he passed. Fitting that Ed passed during a game - something he loved.

If you find yourself in need of some joy then take a look through battle reports and enjoy reading Ed's work. He spent a lot of time with back stories and characters. True love of a hobby.

RIP Ed the Rash - you are missed.

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Nothing to add; just a note of appreciation for Todd's post. Which shows you how often I visit these fora.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: