Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Wars 2023 Events

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Cold Wars 2023 Events

Players must check in 30 minutes prior to listed start time.
One list from published army list books.
African Warrior draft lists allowed.
Generals must be rolled (Doubles only).
Preset terrain. 25mm only.
Barbarian Foot rules with following addition:
Under 2(a), add "following up" as a new condition for counting 3rd/4th ranks in HTH.
Deployment rules in effect.
X-Rules 2.512, 2.52, 2.53, 5.11, 6.2, 8.6, 11.1, 17.1 and 17.2 in use.
Roman Rules Players Guide (Sep 2022) and all X-Rules contained therein.
Armies with Army Standard and an option for a Sacred Standard may upgrade to the latter for free (Doubles only).

We will continue experimenting with Hussite playtest rules. I'll publish those in this thread at some point.

Friday

Fast Warrior
Noon – 7:30pm
Download variant: http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17469
Four 1.5 hour rounds. Start times after Noon variable. 5’ x 3’ table.

Saturday

Doubles
9am-11pm
4 hour rounds, 8x5 tables
Round 1: 9am, Round 2: 2:00pm, Round 3: 7pm

Last edited by scott holder on Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Note the Fast Warrior entry instead of the Mini. I've been threatening to do this for years.

Humor me. For those of you who don't typically come down by noon on Friday, this doesn't impact you. But everybody else? I urge you go still come down and give this a go.

I've got commitments from 10 players thus far. Two of them are Mark Cribbs and Jim Bisigani who, I'm sure everybody has observed, have bailed to another system. Fast Warrior is potentially a way to keep some players and1 bring some others back into the fold with this format.

I get why guys bail so this is a good test on how the format works, what tweaks might still be needed, etc. We talk about getting some people to play but our system is a big hurdle on a variety of levels and I want to finally see how this plays out with enough players and armies to make the experience telling.

scott

Raiderd
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Fast Warrior is great way for me to get back to playing Warrior. I plan on attending Fast Warrior event.

Dale Laughing
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject:

While we're on this, I'm puzzling thru if to segregate armies into types, mainly "infantry" and "mounted".

What I'm looking to avoid is something like Mongols vs EIR. I wish I had more data points on this kind of tournament. What I know is when the four of us played a round-robin of this, we all just happened to show up with essentially cavalry armies.

If such a segregation were warranted, the next question would be how to determine what army is what. Then I'd need to limit participation in each bracket so as to ensure equal participation.

It's also (highly likely) that I'm over thinking this and just see what we get and then maybe pair accordingly.

scott

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject:

scott holder wrote:
While we're on this, I'm puzzling thru if to segregate armies into types, mainly "infantry" and "mounted".

What I'm looking to avoid is something like Mongols vs EIR. I wish I had more data points on this kind of tournament. What I know is when the four of us played a round-robin of this, we all just happened to show up with essentially cavalry armies.

If such a segregation were warranted, the next question would be how to determine what army is what. Then I'd need to limit participation in each bracket so as to ensure equal participation.

It's also (highly likely) that I'm over thinking this and just see what we get and then maybe pair accordingly.

scott

I don't think that's necessary, really...let folks do their thing and see what happens. We already have primarily (or entirely) infantry armies meeting mainly mounted armies.
Mark Cribbs
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject:

I would suggest in order to keep the games to conclusion in the time period and to keep the irregular armies from having a huge disadvantage that all armies should be under Attack orders.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Mark Cribbs wrote:
I would suggest in order to keep the games to conclusion in the time period and to keep the irregular armies from having a huge disadvantage that all armies should be under Attack orders.

I believe Fast Warrior is being discussed which I don't think has any Orders?
Mark Cribbs
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Its just a suggestion as it's an alternate with the rules and forcing more of a meeting engagement instead of letting one side hold back can effect army composition and viability.
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Everybody needs to go to the link and download the latest version. Shocked

Attack or Probe orders. And who knows, between now and then I might simply say "Attack" if somebody comes up with compelling reasons why Probe shouldn't be included.

As I look at Rule 8h, it's not as clear as it should be. Basically, if you are only armed with a missile weapon like B, CB, S, LB, etc., you can't charge (I'd probably allow it if they start behind a flank) unless you also have have JLS. This means medieval longbowmen also armed with 2HCW can't charge (that's deliberate at this point but who knows; that being said, I don't see medieval armies making an appearance in FW). There might need to be an El exception to that, again, not sure.

It's why I want more playing experience with FW, to work out bugs like this.

scott

Raiderd
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:31 am    Post subject:

I think at teaching level no orders make sense, can concentrate on teaching combat factors and outcomes first. Add more complexity with more points. I think FW is a really cool way to introduce Warrior. with easy list construction and small army size makes it ideal. Keep it simple is my opinion.
Dale
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Old wars teams partner sought

Good Morning Gentlemen
I am looking for a partner for teams at Cold Wars - probably will only be there Saturday - but ioen to playing with anyone who just wants a good time - we can discuss armies
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Cold wars

Looks like maybe Frank and I playing teams
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Cold Wars - looking for a partner

Back to looking for a partner
scott holder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject:

I've emailed you.
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Rich and Rob will be running Hussites. I've created a dedicated page to Hussite playtesting:

http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17927

FYI, unlike in recent years, I will be there as a potential team mate. That should provide some flexibility should we have odd numbers or somebody looking to play.

scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: