Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Wars 2023 AAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Cold Wars 2023 AAR

Fast Warrior

1) Dan Woyke, Early Indian, 18
2) Greg Houser, Sultanate of Delhi, 15
3) Scott Holder, Khmer, 12
4) Rich Kroupa, HYWE, 12
5) Chris Schulitz, Catalan Company, 9
6) Jim Bisigani, Alexandrian Macedonian, 5
7) Mark Cribbs, Sub-Roman British, 5
8) Bill Low, Sultanate of Delhi, 3

Above reflects tie breaks using head-to-head results.

Doubles

1) Scott McDonald & Mike Kelly, Japanese, 13
2) Greg Houser & Chris Schultiz, L Ottoman Turk, 9
3) Fred Stratton & Keith Stratton, Neo-Assyrian, 9
4) Bill Low & Dave Markowitz (and Scott Holder), Late Carthaginian, 8
5) Dan Woyke & Don Carter, Dacian, 8
6) Rich Kroupa & Rob Turnball, Hussite, 8

Above reflects tie breaks using head-to-head results.

If anybody wants to post a blow-by-blow battle report, please do so in that section of the Forum, not here.

Hussite playtesting was again very helpful. Rich and I did our usual shake-of-the-rust game Thu evening, Hussites vs Khmer. Fantastic visual on both sides that had everybody stopping to take photos.

Hussite playtesting is covered in another thread.

scott

ghauser90
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:52 am    Post subject:

Thanks Scott for running the show again. The Fast Warrior Tournement on Friday was a blast. Please run it again. and I encourage everyone to try it.
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Although I was bummed that Matt Kollmer couldn't make it, that had a silver lining in that you and Chris could then play Fast Warrior and discover why I push it.

Everybody else: we learned that at 825pts, 2 hours is a good time limit on the game. The 1.5 hour limit was originally for 750pt armies.

Dan Woyke described it best in that the format is the same...but different.

Given the positive feedback from everybody (Rich Kroupa said he was sad we didn't end up playing a 4th round he was enjoying it so much), I think it'll definitely be repeated at Cold Wars 2024. Given that Doubles makes for a looooong day, this pairs well.

As long as the NICT continues to get 12+ participants, I'm loathe to cut it back to a 3-game event. If I did, that would bring Thu back into play. And, given how Fall In is a wonderfully low-key event (I'll be there again this year), the Mini/Open Fri/Sat sequence isn't necessarily a slog.

I hope that the New England guys follow up on their ideas about running this at some point this year and inviting Mark and Jim up to play.

Regarding Doubles, it was a wonderfully eclectic mix of armies. Dave M had intended to team with Bill running Marians but he got in Fri evening and was literally sucked into work from the moment he arrived until the 3rd round on Saturday. Thus, Bill pulled out Late Carthaginians with a list he's run for years and the two of us played, first vs Hussites (tough 2-2 game and there was plenty of combat), then against the Strattons where Fred had an incredible, never-ending series of +2 and +3 rolls in shooting and HTH that send my poor command packing in two hours.

Loads of fun. Good seeing the people who came and was very nice that Mark and Jim "came back" to play Fast Warrior.

scott

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Looked like a lot of fun - sad that I missed it. Fast warrior looked pretty cool as well - Elephants galore eh? Great to see Mark and Jim playing as well.

Hussites looked awesome as well - their battle vs. Sammies and Dacians looked ferocious. I appreciate all who sent pictures and updates throughout.

Looking forward to Historicon and I'm painting as usual.

Todd

scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Alas, Hussites didn't fight Dacians. I wanted to see how a barbarian-based army would do but the pairings didn't work out that way. They fought, in order:

Later Carthaginian
Japanese
L Otts

Also, Hussite games were far from boring affairs, totally opposite. They are still a work in progress both in terms of making sure we have the rules where they need to be but also how people purchase and use the army.

Fighting them is also a work in progress. Bill and I afterwards discussed how we could have done better with Carthaginian and at no point did we feel the game pointless or that we didn't have a real shot at winning.

Oh, and a cool thing that came up with the "enemies all start with Attack orders", I rolled by Sub as Rash and sure enough, he rolled up, Rush orders! It didn't change much in terms of how we were going to approach my half of the table but it was a nice touch.

scott

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the event AAR notes...all in all seems like a great Cold Wars. Glad Fast Warrior was such a success.

Sorry I couldn't make it...hopefully Historicon.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: