Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2005 NICT Lists Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: 2005 NICT Lists Up

Cross posting here. Scroll down to the files section and you'll find the 2005 NICT lists. I'm sure we all eagerly

Rolling Eyes

await Ewan's commentary.

scott

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Ah, subtle sarcasm.

By popular demand - Scott notwithstanding Rolling Eyes - here's a set of comments. Feedback hugely welcome, even - especially! - if you're as snarky as I.

Anyone whose list I insulted who feels hard done by... that and $2 will get you a coffee, but I'd be delighted to discuss!
joncleaves

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Excellent as always, Ewan.

I am even surprised to have the Han rated so highly, but the issue is that the team list from that year is the real boner where we tried to get fancy with Artillery with the extra 400 points instead of possibly the Xiong-nu. I will be back with Han when I have figured out exactly how best to deal with the minima....I think there's a good if not great list there, but this was not it.
The LCh generals caused a lot of unease fits and can also join LC or HC to charge (certain) LMI...
Unfortunately instead of facing knights or LTS/El armies, I faced Dave with Alexandrians in round one and both did something idiotic with terrain and forgot a list rule. Not to take away from his excellent play, but I will be glad when all this writing is final and I don't have to remember which version we are on....lol

As for the Hohenstaufens, there is some disgareement over whether the words 'German/Siculo-Italians' means all things labeled with the word 'German' or just the single German/Siculo Italian Knights line. Scott and Bill were looking into this even before Todd brought it up on the forum and the last word on list 18 has not been heard. In any case, that one list is still illegal.

Jon

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Ewan has once again done a great job of reviewing/analyzing the NICT lists. And, once again, while I agree with a lot of what he says, I do think there are some points of disagreement or at least things he's overlooked.

So, let me offer a bit of comment on his comments:

Alexandrian and other pike armies:
This is much more Ewan's area of expertise than mine. I don't think I've ever played a pike/elephant army, not even in a friendly pick-up game. I'll simply note that Frank Gilson's list and Dave Markowitz's list stand out as the best put together of this whole lot.

10 Independent States:
I find it interesting that Ewan gave Derek's version a 4 and my version a 6, yet Derek finished 2nd overall and I didn't even make the cut. I think there are several lessons in that:
    Ultimately the player, not the list, makes the army;
    There's suprise value in playing a list that constitutes an unexpected style. It can work to the player's advantage (Derek clearly confounded a number of his opponents), but can also work against a player (my game plan was not as well thought out as it should have been).

A couple of comments about this list. Both Derek and I made mistakes in how we constructed it. I learned a few things from Derek's list, namely how to create an effect rough terrain force out of available troops, and how to judiciously use regulars and C-class troops to beef up the army.

But I just don't think you can play this army with only one general, the way Derek has it; you're going to hit prompt point overload in some key bounds between a desire to prompt charges and a possible need to retire some troops. And although EHC is not my favorite shock troop type, I think you have to upgrade the generals all the way to EHC to get as much mounted shock power as you can. This costs only 4 points per general's stand, so it seems well worth it.

Both Derek and I made a major mistake in only taking one unit of fire lancers. They are one of the best things in the army, you can get two units, and you should take them both. To elaborate a bit further: this is the first army in Oriental Warrior that gets fire lance, and the presence of fire lance is one of the things that makes this list better than Later Tang. With fire lance, you get some legitimate shock foot, whereas the Tang really only have shock cav. Further, the fire lance foot can charge together with the elephants; a very nice combination. That combination is only available on two lists in all of Warrior: 10 Independent States and Ming Chinese. And getting it to work properly on the Ming list is highly problematic.

And for those of you wondering, yes, I may well reprise this list at this year's NICT. I've been deciding between three lists:
    10 Independent States
    Shang Chinese
    Knights of Saint John

I've made my decision about which of the three to take; you'll see it in July.

Only a couple of comments about Hohenstafen:
    If you want a mix of regular archers and Almughuvars, play Medieval Spanish;
    If you want an abundance of less expensive knights (EHK/HK rather than SHK) and regular archers and other quality support troops, play Siculo Norman. I no longer see any reason to play Hohenstafen.

Nikephoran Byzantine: One criticism applies to both lists that were entered. You must take the SHC to make this list viable. Not only does it give you a better shock cav unit than HC or EHC, it reduces your minimum for the other cav. Note that a combined charge by non-impetuous SHC and impetuous, double-armed Varangians against a pike block should almost always have the result that pikes will recoil disordered. This same combination will also ruin peltasts, particularly since the SHC don't care about potential javelin fire from peltasts.

Take all the Varangians, and take them as LHI half 2HCW,JLS,Sh and half JLS,Sh. These are the best shock foot against elephants in the game (with the possible exception of Boran Norse Irish who can get the same armor and armament but as Irr A with a general).

I would never take any of the Byzantine close order foot, but that's a personal preference to some extent. Certainly I would make sure I had enough Varangians, adquate light troops, and then see about points left over for close order foot.

Incans: I disagree somewhat with Ewan's high praise for this rendition of the army. While I agree that the overall choice of LTS as a hand to hand weapon makes sense for the reasons stated, you can and should get several small units with HTW and several small units with 2HCT. Both can be held in reserve and used selectively where LTS just isn't going to get the job done.

Papal Italian: yes, this was Sean's list (he didn't play Swiss this past year). It's completely contrary to my playing style, but I like it nonetheless. Sean has that knack for taking an approach to an unexpected extreme, and suprising people with it. Nor do I think this army is as entirely helpless against elephants as it might seem. There's a reason for having the Reg A LHI JLS,Sh unit, particularly in tandem with dismounting knights. Elephants aren't the preferred matchup here, but there are things you can do to try and neutralize the elpehants and kill the rest.

Sassanid Persians: not much to say here. Against anything but an Alexandrian army Sassanids should be devestatingly effective, having great light troops, solid missile fire, and shock mounted with both reach (EHC/HC) and power (SHC/El). The head-to-head matchups against Alexandrian armies are a little difficult, and the complete lack of terrain troops concedes a real advantage to the Alexandrians as this is an area where they excel. But arguably it's better to do a few things superbly than a lot of things adequately; by that count, Sassanids excel. I remain convinced that anyone trying to chart their path to the NICT title must figure out how they are going to beat at least one pike/elephant army and at least one Sassanid army.

Han Chinese: I have looked extensively at the early Chinese lists, and while Han jumped out as my initial favorite, after time and further analysis I don't much care for it. While the minimums aren't as high as on lists like Marian Roman, you still end up paying a lot for required troops, and you have a bunch of desired troops that you want to get that are nonetheless quite expensive. The result risks being either too compact, or having light troops that are spread too thin. I think this army is at serious risk of being overwhelmed by sheer quantity in some opponents (of the lists in the NICT, Prussians comes to mind as one that might cause trouble). Of the early Chinese lists Qin is probably the best and best balanced, though I have a personal fondness for Shang and Zhou.

Medieval Spanish: It's a mistake to buy the longbowmen this way. If you are going to give longbowmen 2HCW, then you need to upgrade them to LHI so they have some staying power in hand-to-hand. Being shieldess LMI from bound 2 of combat on is just not a good thing. And if you're going to keep them as LMI, then you need to buy shields for the front rank. Reg Cs fail a counter 1/3 of the time, so worry about this scenario:
    Bound N, you go into skirmish and evade away from some shooting-capable opponent.
    Bounde N+1, you complete rallying but fail your counter to get into skirmish. Now you're shieldess LMI with shooters in front of you. Expect to be taking a lot of waver tests from here on out.

And that's my $.02 worth. Perhaps not as snarky as Ewan, perhaps not as valuable, but at least another perspective.

-Mark Stone
Steve Hollowell
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Finishing last in my first ever Nict was not exactly the high point of my Warrior career, so knowing Ewan's review was coming was kind of like knowing a car wreck is about to happen. You just have to stop and stare even though you know the outcome will be awful.

Having said that, I am not shy about constructive criticism, so I will go ahead and post my list and Ewan's review here, followed by my questions and commentary. Feel free to join in the fun. I like to hear many perspectives.

Quote:
NIKEPHORIAN BYZANTINE
1 CINC 2E Reg A HC, L, B, Sh, PA
2 SG 1 2E Reg A/B HC, L, B, Sh, P
3 SG 2 2E Reg A/B HC, L, B, Sh, P
4 2 Reg B HC, L, B, Sh 88
5 2 Reg B HC, L, B, Sh 88
6 2 Reg B HC, L, B, Sh 88
7 2 Reg B LC B 38
8 6 Reg C LC B 82
9 4 Irr B LHI, 2hcw, JLS, Sh/ JLS, Sh 103
10 6 R. C HI/MI LTS, JLS, D, Sh/B,Sh 154
11 6 R. C HI/MI LTS, JLS, D, Sh/B,Sh 154
12 4 Reg D MI, LTS, JLS, D, Sh 1/2 B, Sh 74
13 6 Reg C LI 1/2 S, Sh, 1/2 B 52
14 6 Reg C LI 1/2 JLS, Sh, 1/2 B 52
15 4 Reg D LMI, B 1/2 Sh 50
16 4 Reg D LMI, B 1/2 Sh 50
17 4 Reg C/D LI, JLS, Sh 38
18 2 Reg B LC B 38

[Ewan] This is another of the regular lance/bow cav armies that I seem to rate highly (yet never use!); but I really hate the way that this has been taken. Those close foot units can’t fight, can’t shoot, and can’t do anything other than sit there and die; in general, units of the type with a front rank of spearmen backed by a rear rank of missile troops are of minimal value in Warrior. [Again, this is an overstatement. The missile output of these units is significant, especially within 80p for the darts. But that’s only really going to help against enemy mounted, who are not going to come near you. Enemy foot are going to roll right over you without pause, and so in that case you’re a very expensive close-formation bow block that doesn’t shoot very well. Much better to focus on *either* shooting *or* close combat - here you want to take the spear troops and give them darts so that they can project missile fire; now you have a unit that scares mounted and can actually fight foot.] I also dislike the LI organisation, although not critically so - again it’s a question of focus, so that (for instance) a LI S, Sh unit does *not* want to be half bow - that means that there is no ability to go into skirmish and absorb enemy fire effectively/optimally.

Byzantine armies, in general, struggle with getting both the close foot and the mounted into play, and that’s their biggest weakness; plus, the ‘hammer’ is not that tough, really. When - as in this list - your anvil is fatally flawed, you have almost no chance of a decent outcome. The LHI are actually perhaps worthwhile here, given the double-arming, but I suspect still not: the close foot if taken sensibly can run over enemy elephants, so you don’t need irreg loose foot to do so, and your army should be focussed on regular manouvre. I give this one a 3, which is a little low but reflects squandered potential!

Many of Ewan's comments have already been implemented into this year's plan. I was not happy with the way my LI were, S/Sh, B. The inclusion of the LHI Varangians was a point I often debated, but considering the list doesn't offer anything better (nor do I have the lead for another Kontaratoi unit) I opted for a unit that could fight in terrain decently well.

I think maybe my list isn't clear on the composition of my Kontaratoi units or someone (besides me) didn't check the 2/3 LTS 1/3 bow requirement before they reviewed it! I am assuming the latter, but then, I have already had my coffee today. They are front rank HI, LTS, JLS, D, Sh, second rank MI LTS, JLS, D, Sh and third rank MI B, Sh. This seems to be the crux of the argument of why this particular lists sucks. I thought I would point it out. Although the argument still isn't clear to me.

At the last minute I made a change to my list. I also included a small blocking force of Kontaratoi which is, of course, where I made a mistake in my list, even though I looked at it thousands of times before I sent it in to Scott last year. How embarrassing. My blocking force is 1/2 Spear- 1/2 Bow. No 2/3, 1/3. Not at all legal and most likely what caused my last place finish. Or not.

Main troop options I am reconsidering for this year's iteration:

Irr A HC - Don't like it this year either
Reg B SHC w/out bow - Need to play with these guys and see if I can make something work.
Fire Syphoneers - Always interesting, but expensive and must be employed flawlessly for only potentially good results.
Artillary - forces late list use where the Kontaratoi lose JLS
Irr LC that doesn't get a rank and a half fighting- yuck

Most of this stuff lacks the really killer punch most of your tournament armies have: knights, SHC/Elephant/unease... hard hitters capable of breaking units on contact.

I believe I will be spending this year dancing as well, just hopefully not with sling-wielding 1HCWs again Smile

Suggestions and comments welcome.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Steven said:
Quote:
Many of Ewan's comments have already been implemented into this year's plan. I was not happy with the way my LI were, S/Sh, B. The inclusion of the LHI Varangians was a point I often debated, but considering the list doesn't offer anything better (nor do I have the lead for another Kontaratoi unit) I opted for a unit that could fight in terrain decently well.

Mark is a bigger fan of the Varangians than I am, it seems; fair enough. I was expecting more knight armies, perhaps, and I take Mark's point on their use in combination with e.g. SHC.

Quote:
I think maybe my list isn't clear on the composition of my Kontaratoi units or someone (besides me) didn't check the 2/3 LTS 1/3 bow requirement before they reviewed it! I am assuming the latter, but then, I have already had my coffee today. They are front rank HI, LTS, JLS, D, Sh, second rank MI LTS, JLS, D, Sh and third rank MI B, Sh. This seems to be the crux of the argument of why this particular lists sucks. I thought I would point it out. Although the argument still isn't clear to me.

OK - I missed that requirement (obviously). Good - that's a better structure, in my opinion, although it would be better to not be forced to buy the bow guys. (Close foot can't avoid, in general, getting into a combat their enemy wants to happen, so my argument is that a unit where only the front rank fights is a sitting duck for enemy foot with two - or more! - fighting ranks.)

Quote:
Main troop options I am reconsidering for this year's iteration:

Irr A HC - Don't like it this year either
Reg B SHC w/out bow - Need to play with these guys and see if I can make something work.
Fire Syphoneers - Always interesting, but expensive and must be employed flawlessly for only potentially good results.
Artillary - forces late list use where the Kontaratoi lose JLS
Irr LC that doesn't get a rank and a half fighting- yuck

Yeah, I would kind of echo those feelings. I do think that the SHC are worthwhile, as Mark suggests, and would not take any of the rest (although I share the interest in the potential for fire syphon guys!)

p.s. I recall, now, playing this list; I remember after the game that you made a comment on some jousting for who would get the best rating from me Smile. Rest assured I didn't have good enough memory of whose lists I was ranking to pay attention to that... who won? Smile
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Mark said:
Quote:

10 Independent States:
I find it interesting that Ewan gave Derek's version a 4 and my version a 6, yet Derek finished 2nd overall and I didn't even make the cut.

Yes, I was aware of this as I did it Smile.

Quote:
Incans: I disagree somewhat with Ewan's high praise for this rendition of the army. While I agree that the overall choice of LTS as a hand to hand weapon makes sense for the reasons stated, you can and should get several small units with HTW and several small units with 2HCT. Both can be held in reserve and used selectively where LTS just isn't going to get the job done.

I'll buy that.

Quote:
Papal Italian: yes, this was Sean's list (he didn't play Swiss this past year). It's completely contrary to my playing style, but I like it nonetheless. Sean has that knack for taking an approach to an unexpected extreme, and suprising people with it. Nor do I think this army is as entirely helpless against elephants as it might seem. There's a reason for having the Reg A LHI JLS,Sh unit, particularly in tandem with dismounting knights. Elephants aren't the preferred matchup here, but there are things you can do to try and neutralize the elpehants and kill the rest.

The ability to dismount effectively is, in general, a *huge* benefit to playing knight armies, and I should have mentioned it. Very difficult to effectively deal with SHI Smile.

Quote:
Sassanid Persians: not much to say here. Against anything but an Alexandrian army Sassanids should be devestatingly effective, having great light troops, solid missile fire, and shock mounted with both reach (EHC/HC) and power (SHC/El). The head-to-head matchups against Alexandrian armies are a little difficult, and the complete lack of terrain troops concedes a real advantage to the Alexandrians as this is an area where they excel. But arguably it's better to do a few things superbly than a lot of things adequately; by that count, Sassanids excel. I remain convinced that anyone trying to chart their path to the NICT title must figure out how they are going to beat at least one pike/elephant army and at least one Sassanid army.

See, I don't rate my own army as highly as Mark does Smile. And I don't use EHC; not that I don't think it might be sensible, I just haven't fit it into a list I like. And there's a lot of troops and tactics that I find difficult to face. but I'm not about to tell you what they are...

Quote:
And that's my $.02 worth. Perhaps not as snarky as Ewan, perhaps not as valuable, but at least another perspective.

Ha. If Mark and I disagree, believe Mark Smile
Steve Hollowell
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Rest assured I didn't have good enough memory of whose lists I was ranking to pay attention to that... who won?

I am awaiting a re-rating before I open that can of worms.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Quote:

Rest assured I didn't have good enough memory of whose lists I was ranking to pay attention to that... who won?

I am awaiting a re-rating before I open that can of worms.

OK. Up yourself to a 6... minus 1.5 for being illegal, netting 4.5.
Steve Hollowell
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Boo. I lost even without the illegal. The bet was either with Charles or Jon. I think it was Charles. Byzantines vs Sassanids.
joncleaves

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject:

It wasn't with me, I knew I ws going to get slammed....lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: