Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feudal Spanish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwyight
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Feudal Spanish

I am interested in playing in the theme tournament. I have not played ancients in almost 4 years and I am not well experienced with WAB; so, I would appreciate feedback on the attached list.

1X CinC 1E EHK RegA L, Sh, PAS / Hidalgos 1E HC RegA L, Sh 188
2X SubGen 1E HK Reg A L, Sh, Ps/Hidalgos 1E HC Reg A L, Sh 30 107
2X Hermangildas 2E HC Irr A L, Sh/Crusaders 2E HC Irr B L, Sh 139
2X Crusaders 1E HK Irr B L, Sh/ Crusaders 1E HC Irr B L, Sh 85
1X Jinetes 6E LC Irr C JLS, Sh 97
1X Berber Mercenary Cavalry 6E LC Irr C JLS, Sh 97
2X Spearmen 2E MI Irr C JLS, Sh/Bowmen 2E MI Irr C B/Axmen 2E HI Irr C 2HCW, Sh 105
1X Bowmen 2E MI Irr C B/Spearmen 2E MI Irr C JLS, Sh 90
2X Crossbowmen 2E LMI Reg C CB 34
1X Crossbowmen 4E LI Irr C CB 41
1X Javelinmen 12E LI Irr C JLS 73
2X Bowmen 2E LI Irr D B 37
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject:

I'm going to comment on the assumption that you've picked the army, rather than discussing alternative army choices (a much bigger discussion).

So:

Quote:

1X CinC 1E EHK RegA L, Sh, PAS / Hidalgos 1E HC RegA L, Sh 188
2X SubGen 1E HK Reg A L, Sh, Ps/Hidalgos 1E HC Reg A L, Sh 30 107

So far, so good; you might upgrade these to EHK also but not critical. I would consider paying to upgrade the HC to HK solely for the improved dismount ability, on the subs.

Quote:
2X Hermangildas 2E HC Irr A L, Sh/Crusaders 2E HC Irr B L, Sh 139

I wouldn't take the IrrA option when you can have IrrB knights instead; you could take one 4E unit if desired but more large units than that of knights is probably not best. The IrrA guys are limited by only being HC and more difficult to control. On the other hand, they do give you a shot at glory!

Quote:
2X Crusaders 1E HK Irr B L, Sh/ Crusaders 1E HC Irr B L, Sh 85
1X Jinetes 6E LC Irr C JLS, Sh 97

You're only compelled to take 4E of Jinetes; however, there are not many good support troops for the knights on the list, so taking more is OK. I might run this LC type in 4E units, but 6E is fine - and that way they can ideally skirmish 3 ranks deep to shoot.

Quote:
1X Berber Mercenary Cavalry 6E LC Irr C JLS, Sh 97
2X Spearmen 2E MI Irr C JLS, Sh/Bowmen 2E MI Irr C B/Axmen 2E HI Irr C 2HCW, Sh 105
1X Bowmen 2E MI Irr C B/Spearmen 2E MI Irr C JLS, Sh 90
2X Crossbowmen 2E LMI Reg C CB 34
1X Crossbowmen 4E LI Irr C CB 41
1X Javelinmen 12E LI Irr C JLS 73
2X Bowmen 2E LI Irr D B 37

I would not take axemen, even as HI. I would minimise my points spent on the compulsory close formation foot; probably something like a 6E unit of IrrC JLS, Sh MI and a 6E unit of Reg C bowmen.

You get to buy LHI almughavars - do so! The cheap, good knights and these guys are what the list has that's good. Take them as HTW-armed (see Errata), half LHI and half shielded, and use them to destroy opposing close foot while your knights deal with enemy mounted. I'd probably go for 3 x 4E, but lots of possible configurations.

Your crossbowmen organisation is good, but these can be traded down if you need points. The mandatory LI JLS-only are a liability but probably less of one in 2 6E units; you need 6E of skirmishers, and I'd take the in one unit; again no shields, so take them as bowmen. 2E irregular units are not cost-effective. See Mark Stone's comments on Spanish light troops in another recent thread.

For a first attempt by a newish player, though, this was *excellent* - kudos.
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Dwyight:

Just to clear up any confusion, you mentioned you're not well versed in WAB, heh heh, neither are most of us since that's a different game! (Warhammer Ancients Battles).

Since you related what is clearly a Warrior army list, I assume we're not mixing apples and oranges here Smile

scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: