Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coomand points question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Coomand points question

Something I have been wondering about, a design question more than anything else.

Why are command points values "set in stone"?

That is, a 2E body of Irr Light Troops pays 25 points for it's command. A 12E unit of Irr LMI will also pay 25 points. Admittedly not putting alot of thought into it, it would seem on paper that the larger body would be harder to control/handle than the smaller body, and therefore should be paying more points for command factors, and smaller bodies should pay less.

Todd

joncleaves

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject:

Ok, Todd, this is a why question - which it is our policy to only answer, if at all, on a case by case basis. But since I am feeling very accomplished about Warrior today - having approved the revised rulebook for printing - and since I will be making some free online designer's notes soon that will include this answer, what the hell...

Command factors represent the command and control effort required to articulate your army. Meaning, the more separate actions you have to undertake, the more effort your command and control system has to exert. 12E of Roman HI in one unit takes less effort to get going in one direction than the same 12E in six 2E units doing a bunch of different things.

The game engine is also saying that it takes two and a half times the effort to get irregular troops to act in a coordinated fashion than it does regular troops.

Jon

Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject:

I understand...just seems, odd somehow. It seems, at least on paper anyways, it would take less..effort perhaps, to control and order around a smaller body of troops, while a larger body can rapidly degenerate into a mob if not tightly controlled. Its an abstraction issue that I'm not getting I think.

Thanks for the reply,
Todd

joncleaves wrote:
Ok, Todd, this is a why question - which it is our policy to only answer, if at all, on a case by case basis. But since I am feeling very accomplished about Warrior today - having approved the revised rulebook for printing - and since I will be making some free online designer's notes soon that will include this answer, what the hell...

Command factors represent the command and control effort required to articulate your army. Meaning, the more separate actions you have to undertake, the more effort your command and control system has to exert. 12E of Roman HI in one unit takes less effort to get going in one direction than the same 12E in six 2E units doing a bunch of different things.

The game engine is also saying that it takes two and a half times the effort to get irregular troops to act in a coordinated fashion than it does regular troops.

Jon

joncleaves

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Todd, there's nothing wrong with the direction of your thinking, but the CFs are showing an army-wide effect. How much effort (represented by a total of all the CFs you use in your army) do you have to spend to be able to have the ability to perform separate functions?

No argument a smaller body of men is easier to control, its just that this is not what CFs are about.

No more why questions today - I am working on the optional and experimental rules! Smile

Jon

OGS-Vintage
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Command Factors

My thinking (please feel free to apply rapid fire M2HB rounds to me again if you wish Smile) is that the command factor is the cost of a commander (captain, good Sergeant, etc) for the unit.

I have never Quibbled over the cost - regulars are easier to command (they take longer to train) and irregs are harder to command as they are very independent and can only see their own point of view (you want me to charge WHAT? - get knotted).

I believe economics came into a previous discussion - certain things cost more to make than others - a regular commander has an easier job and thus gets paid less than some poor sod who spends 99% of his time making sure the troops focus on the desired action.

Once again, thats my colourful 2 bob worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: