Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Close foot - what is it good for?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Close foot - what is it good for?

I've been struck by the (surface, at least) disparity between recent comments on Alexandrians (based around pike, the quintessential close foot; very highly rated) versus those on taking close foot in a Nikephorian Byzantine list (which is being panned).

Why?

Yeah, I know that this has been debated before. But I was particularly struck by Mark's recent comment that he's never even heard of someone actually managing, in a tournament game, to push a lighter army off the table with close foot. That's pretty close to my experience, too. Are all the close foot players ('all' not being a very large number!) just deluding themselves? Is taking Alex relying on opponents being reluctant to fight a no-score draw?

So: if close foot can't catch an opponent, and can't force them to fight, what good are they? Just mobile road blocks? Maybe so - and of course missile-armed close foot can at least project some force. But is there really not a way to win with non-missile close foot?

[An example would be the earlier Romans, feeding back to another thread. And note that I'm talking about being able to force a win, or at least a chance, rather than relying on cooperative opponents.]

Some simplifications, of course...
joncleaves

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject:

I have a plan to do this with one of the earlier romans in a future year. Still working on the details, but feel it can be done.

Note though that Patricians and Alex have won three recent NICTs...

J

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Close foot - what is it good for?

Ewan McNay wrote:
I've been struck by the (surface, at least) disparity between recent comments on Alexandrians (based around pike, the quintessential close foot; very highly rated) versus those on taking close foot in a Nikephorian Byzantine list (which is being panned).

Why?

Yeah, I know that this has been debated before. But I was particularly struck by Mark's recent comment that he's never even heard of someone actually managing, in a tournament game, to push a lighter army off the table with close foot. That's pretty close to my experience, too. Are all the close foot players ('all' not being a very large number!) just deluding themselves? Is taking Alex relying on opponents being reluctant to fight a no-score draw?

Well, I've often said since the publication of Classical Warrior that I thought Alexandrian Imperial was a top caliber list. However, I've never said that I thought this because of the pike. Were I to play Alex Imps, I would take the minimum amount of close order foot. Now, the close order foot isn't a negative -- it isn't one of those minimums I regret having to spend points on -- but it isn't going to win any games either (I feel the same way about the Companions, by the way). No, the strength of the army is:
    - quality light infantry (regulars, shields, and a mix of weapon types)
    - quality light cavalry (some regulars, some guys who fight rank and a half)
    - pike-armed elephants
    - Hypaspists (taken as loose order)

I'd also refer people to Ewan's victory in last year's theme tourney with a pike army, and his subsequent comment that he won by keeping his pikes as far away from the fighting as possible.

Speed of attack is crucial to success with strike troops. By that I mean being able to march to a position in one bound, and approach to charge reach in the next. Initiative is also a big part of success, and foot must always go before enemy mounted regardless of the initiative roll. Finally, if something can evade away from you, you have to have some chance of catching it. Close order foot just doesn't cut it by any of these measures: it needs an extra bound to approach to charge reach, performs poorly in gaining initiative, and has no chance of catching even the slowest evaders.

So close order foot have no value as strike troops. They can play a supporting role, but you have to be careful that they don't become too expensive because... they're not the strike troops!

Do your support troops have to have shields in the rear rank?
    Do they all have to be at least C class, or even some B class?
    Are you going to have to double arm some of them?
    Will some of them need to be upgraded to HI to be effective?
    Are you going to have to play them in more than two ranks?

If your answer to any of these questions is yes, then you're spending more points than you really want to on support troops. One unit of Phalangites isn't too bad. You're wasting at most 44 points if you take the minimum, and being entirely C at least has some redeeming value. But that Byzantine close order foot? Forget it. Those guys are a huge waste of points.

-Mark Stone
Mike Turner
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:

An "X"-rule has been mentioned before, and possibly should be looked at. REGULAR, close order foot being able to move 120 p in open terrain, and possibly this should be restricted to A-C level troops.

We are talking regular troops, men who soldiered for a living. This may more accurately portray the military capablity of what were seen as good troops on the battlefield, but now are poor troops in a wargame.

Mike
joncleaves

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Indeed such an x-rule is in the works..
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject:

As one of those rare close order foot guys, I will chime in here. I have seen, even in 15mm, some talented players (not me) forced march 7 or 8 pike units to midfield and just move straight ahead, sweeping their enemies before them (and "hearing the lamentation of their women"-Conan).

The conventional strategy in this game (Warrior), as epitomized by the tactical doctrine explained often and well by Ewan and Mark is to have a substantial mobile strike force (read cavalry, elephants, or Irr A/B foot), excellent light infantry and/or light cav to pin the opponent and delay him in several places you don't want to fight, and a reasonable number of cheap (usually close formation) foot who can shoot and hold frontage, either cooperating with the lights in delaying half or more of the oponent's line while the attack is concentrated elsewhere, or (if lucky) shooting well enough to create an opportunity for the "mobile strike force" to charge in and cause isolated carnage followed by cascading waver tests.
Ideally, use some leftover army points to buy elephants or chariots to cause unease Sad and presto!, the classic winner Warrior army.

Now all this is fine. But there are a few wily Greeks Cool (and others I'm sure) out there who know all this and are contrarian by nature. Mark's and Ewan's way is tried, true, and quite valid. But it is not the only way, and like all "ways," it has it's weaknesses (one hopes Embarassed ). Unfortunately, I suspect it will take a much better player than yours truly to demonstrate that hypothesis.

joncleaves

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject:

One must remember that this discussion of the utility of close foot has been framed in an open environment primarily by tourney players.

I am interested to see how next year's Punic theme goes at HCon. I think it will be very telling...

J

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Bill Chriss wrote:
The conventional strategy in this game (Warrior), as epitomized by the tactical doctrine explained often and well by Ewan and Mark is to have a substantial mobile strike force (read cavalry, elephants, or Irr A/B foot), excellent light infantry and/or light cav to pin the opponent and delay him in several places you don't want to fight....Now all this is fine. But there are a few wily Greeks Cool (and others I'm sure) out there who know all this and are contrarian by nature. Mark's and Ewan's way is tried, true, and quite valid. But it is not the only way, and like all "ways," it has it's weaknesses (one hopes Embarassed ). Unfortunately, I suspect it will take a much better player than yours truly to demonstrate that hypothesis.

I think the weaknesses of the skirmisher/mobile force approach have been shown, or at least hinted at recently. Derek's last three armies -- 10 Indpendent States, Khmer, and Silla Korean -- all make a real mess of an army with any measurable amount of cavalry in it, particularly light cavalry. And I suspect the tactical doctrine Christian is beginning to deploy with Skythians shows another approach.

What won't beat the conventional skirmisher/mobile force is an army that relies heavily on non-missile armed close order foot. Force march 7 or 8 units if you want. Heck, cover the frontage from table edge to table edge. Do it in 25mm where I have even less room to fall back. I really don't care. I'm going to pin you in several places, concentrate in one place, and watch your line fall apart. Because every good skirmisher army has at least one way to beat one close order foot unit straight up, if other forces can be kept from intervening, and preventing intervention is exactly what skirmisher armies excel at.

-Mark Stone
wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject:

I believe there are; and probobly always will be certain circumstances when close formation foot will excel. They may be slow but man for man they are still the toughest foot in the game.

Playing close formation foot is like using any other troop types, they need to be correctly played and correctly supported. I.E find somthing that will allow them to get where they need to get to, when they need to get there.

Although out of vogue at the moment, only recently the warrior world was in flames over the Moog. These march the same distance as close foot and only approach 40 paces futher. They are being under-utalised if they spend their time chasing evaders. So the 40 paces movement doesn't make a great deal of difference in many situations.

Paul Collins
Devotee of MI.
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject:

I ran my Arauanians with a lot of LTS, B MI. You have the option to make them Irr or Reg, and I've tried both. For now I've settles on a mix. If opposes by LI I can Usually shoot them away, same with LC. I think a lot of it also has to do on the players stye of play, and how well Close Order Fits into the list. Sometimes it will only have one or two specific uses, you just have to know what those uses are.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject:

Todd Schneider wrote:
I ran my Arauanians with a lot of LTS, B MI.

Giving close order foot a missile weapon that reaches farther than their charge reach completely changes the dynamic. Ewan's original question was specifically about non-missile armed close order foot.

I ran over 250 figures of close order foot in last year's NICT, and might do the same this year. Note, however, that my list from last year had only 16 figures of close order foot that lacked a bow. With bow you have the ability to march move to a spot and immediately begin doing damage. That's very different from having to approach for a minimum of two bounds, assuming your opponent isn't countering or evading away from you.

And with a missile weapon, close order foot has some advantages over loose order foot. True, it can neither skirmish nor operate in rough terrain. But it doesn't take a waver for being charged by mounted. Given the vulnerability of most mounted to missile fire, that absence of a waver test is generally enough of a deterrent to keep mounted from charging in hoping for the luck of the dice.

Of course there's a great deal of enemy foot that cares little about missile fire (Romans in testudo, Phalangites with their spiffy new list rules, peltasts/Aztecs/Incans in skirmish). So having a one-trick army of just missile fire isn't going to get the job done (hence the problem with the Aracunians). This game always comes down to combined arms. In this context, you have to have something to combine your missile troops with.

-Mark Stone
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Mark Stone wrote:

Of course there's a great deal of enemy foot that cares little about missile fire (Romans in testudo, Phalangites with their spiffy new list rules, peltasts/Aztecs/Incans in skirmish). So having a one-trick army of just missile fire isn't going to get the job done (hence the problem with the Aracunians). This game always comes down to combined arms. In this context, you have to have something to combine your missile troops with.

-Mark Stone

True. The thing I like about Araucanians though is that their Base troop type is Irr C MI or LMI B. The you can add LTS, JLS, HTW, 2HCW in varying amounts, upgrade several stands to Irr B,and up to 8 stands as Irr A, so if you're looking to make an Infantry force with a lot of variety, these guys will fit the bill.

I usually run them in a couple of blocks of MI LTS, B, Sh; then a couple of units of LMI 1/2 HTW, B, Sh, 1/2 JLS, B, Sh (Half Moogs as it were), and a couple of Units of MI 1/2 2HCW, B, Sh; 1/2 JLS, B, Sh (Good Anti El troops). That and some good LI and you have a challenging force for most opponenets. Although I played it for a year plus, I just haven't played it enough to really become competent with it, which is something I hope to remedy here in thenear future.

Todd

Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what all those Alexandrian players from last H'con have to say about this. Surely they cannot all have "hidden" their phalangites behind trees or somesuch Shocked
Tim Grimmett
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Our group plays with 480p rear zones, which seem to help.

We experimented with the 120p movement/charge for close order foot, but the group did not take to it.

John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:

nothing like this should be considered in isolation...

Take any troop type in Warrior and someone, even a newbie, can come up with a viable tactical means to defeat it or reduce it to irrelevance.

Sure, LMI can evade away from CO foot all day. So what happens if the CO foot has mounted support in its gaps? Drastically changes the equation if the LMI are chicken to go into skirmish because of the prospect of being caught in a compulsory evade by a mounted charge and getting chewed up from the rear (so even LMI LTS won't help here) and broken (even if they DO pass their waver) - and that CO foot will suddenly be chewing up LMI within a couple bounds.

Just one very obvious example.

Just like knights or elephants - sure if you just hang your troops out to dry without the needed supporting combined arms then even a not very skillful player is going to make them a useless waste of points at best or an outright liability at worst.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: