Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oriental Flesh?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Garlic
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Oriental Flesh?

What color mix/manufacturer do most folks use for oriental (Chinese/Japanese) flesh?

John Garlic
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject:

I've only gone down this route once, back when I was at the USMC Command and Staff College and painted up a single 25mm Samurai figure for the Japanese major in our class. I ended up taking the lightest olive color I could find, then mixing it with either white or the lightest shade of yellow I could find. It took me several tries until I got a shade that I liked.

And after all of that, I figured it wasn't worth it. Smile I use plain ole Warrior Flesh (or whatever the equivalent might be) and with the stained polyurathane overcoat, they figs simply look tanned and weathered. And I assume that my armies are all full of weathered, hardy veterans, thus, skin tone and color aren't all that different than a European counterpart. Heh heh, except for hair color of course!

Okay, it's probably a bit more caucasoid than it should be but at the army scale, it's never bothered me in 25mm. And I have two major figure pods (from which I derive various armies), Khmer and Song.

scott

Greg
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject:

I've taken to using Citadel "Pallid Flesh" as a base coat for all skin. I like to apply it with an airbrush, in order to get nice even coverage, and to get in all the cracks. Bonus, I prime in white and this color is so light, it doesn't cloy with the white primer effect.

Then you just have to pick your wash color. Citadel makes a washing ink called "Flesh Wash" that serves as a nice base. You can add a touch of another color to get the skin tone you want. Use a darker brown for desert folks, and add a bit of yellow (and I do mean A BIT) for oriental types. For very pale folks, thin the ink out a bunch and put in a SMALL smattering of blue ink.

Useful tip with this technique ... after you do the wash, let it dry in cool shade for an hyour, then put in in a window and let direct sun shine on it for a few hours. This dries the @#$% out of it and allows you to paint eyes, etc ... without having your paint pull up the washing ink, which is a hiuge problem and major negative for washing ink. I learned this while doing 90mm display figures.

I would hightly recommend Citadel paint for flesh, washing inks, white, and for airbrushing. Other than that, avoid it like the plague.
Macbeth
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject:

I have the same problem - usually I mix varying amounts of flesh, brown and yellow until I get something that "looks right". However what looks right is often different between batches.

When I was first putting together my Sung Chinese army I was house sitting for a workmate who was renting space in the house to Mainland Chinese students who were studying English.

I would sit with my paints and mix the colours, regluarly looking up at my bemused housemates at their studies.

Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: