Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

generals and fractions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: generals and fractions

Tried this under rules and Jon requested I post it here under its proper place

Following does _not_ apply to a case where generals are added to a similar-armed unit with a fractional upgrade of some kind, I understand how that works.

What happens when you have generals of armament/equipment type A, and the natural troop type for them to go into has a designation of half and half PER UNIT (not one 'up to', strictly half and half) between weapon/quipment type B and type C? By extension, what happens without the general if the unit has an odd number of elements?

This case arises in, for instance, Boran Norse-Irish where the generals are 2HCW,Sh (without the added JLS option) while the nobles and bonnachts are both half 2HCW,JLS and half JLS,Sh PER UNIT (without the option to add shields to the 2HCW,JLS). There is no match for the genral's type so how do you arm the other element if it is a 2E unit (the most extreme case)?
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Part of this might need fixing in eratta. I'll need to check on that so don't hold me to it.

Remember that "Generals' elements count towards fractional or numerical limits in a list only when they are part of a unit".

Thus, in another section of your question about what to do if you have odd number of elements (no General issue), remember, half means half. Fractions aren't rounded. Heh heh, check the archives, you'll find a late yahoo posting by to that effect.

I'll hafta check the Norse Irish lists to see if I need to bring the Generals' elements "in line" with likely troop types.

scott

John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:

But what about odd numbers of elements in a troop type specified as half and half per unit?

Say, for example you made a unit of 3E of bonnachts, you arm 1E each of the half and half ways then what do you do with the 3rd element?
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Literally, half means half. The 3E unit you describe is not allowed in the list because.....half means half.

scott

scott holder

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Okay, in this specific instance only (Boran Norse Irish list, DAW #35), take the general's element as you end up purchasing it. What's it come closest to being when compared to the Irish Nobles? For example, if you purchase the general as JLS, Sh and put him in a unit of Irish Nobles *totalling* 2E, then the other element would have to be 2HCW, JLS. Obviously you could then give that other element a Sh per a seperate line item in the list.

If the General's element is 2HCW, JLS, Sh (via a seperate line item on the list) and you want to do the same thing as above, then the other element in the unit would be JLS, Sh.

I don't think I need to erratasize this.

scott

John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:

And what if you take the generals as just 2HCW,Sh? Without the seperate line item to add JLS? Which is an option given in the list.

Then how do they fit into a unit of nobles or bonnachts?

The same exact thing is in the (non-Boran) Norse-Irish list as well. Haven't checked the Medieval Irish for it yet.

Quote:
If the General's element is 2HCW, JLS, Sh (via a seperate line item on the list) and you want to do the same thing as above, then the other element in the unit would be JLS, Sh.

So you are saying the 2HCW takes precedence over the Sh in your reply?
Does this also apply for the non-JLS case? I would suggest, humbly, that without reading your replies there may be no way for "John Q Warriorplayer" to know this without errata.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: