Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rajputs - the new elephants of doom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Rajputs - the new elephants of doom

Wasn't sure whether this should go under "Lists" or "Rules", but it seems more of a rules question, so here we go:

Now that 1HCW is fully integrated into the rules proper, instead of relegated to list rule and errata status, things are much clearer. Of note is this distinction:

On p. 83, in section 9.23 "Ranks after the first eligible to fight", the usual restrictions apply to JLS: a second rank at half effect behind a front rank of foot, cav, or chariots. Notably absent from the list is elephants. So no JLS foot fighting from behind your elephants.

Interestingly, 1HCW is not handled in the same way. All it says is a second rank of foot w/1HCW fight at half effect behind a front rank armed with any weapon. No restriction on just cav, foot, or chariots; could be any, including elephants.

No big deal, right? Who the heck gets 1HCW-armed foot that can be in the same unit with elephants? Well, Rajputs do. In fact, here's an intriguing little unit that will beat the crap out of virtuallly all enemy elephants and virtually all enemy foot:
2 stands of Irr B El with crew of 3 with bow, + 2 stands (detachment) Irr B LMI 1HCW,D,Sh.

Arranged with the elephants in the front rank and the detachment as a second rank, under 9.23, the 1HCW fights at half effect behind the elephants. The result is a very powerful shock unit that is also fairly good at absorbing missile fire.

So my question is whether this is an accidental result of one person writing rules and another writing lists, or if indeed it is the intent of FHE to have the above unit fight in the way I've described?

-Mark Stone
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Oops, what you just discovered is not what I wanted.

Yeah, it's not currently written that way but that's gonna change.

1HCW cannot fight in a rank behind El, they are to be treated no differently than let's say a deatchment of JLS-armed infantry behind El.

Before I make some sweeping statement for other cases, ie., can 1HCW fight behind chariots, I need to review if there are any instances of that occuring. We can see how good a job me and everybody else did in this case. Embarassed

scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: