Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decapitation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Garlic
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Decapitation?

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with decapitation (figures Smile. I am trying to remove 25mm heads neatly, but not sure how. Also does anyone know of any companies that make nice 25mm casualty figures (Romans, Greeks, Medievel)?

Thanks,
John Garlic
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Hi John,

Believe it or not, I have simply cut them at the neck with wirecutters and finish with a little X-Acto whittling.

Adrian Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Surely the real question is how does one accurately paint/ model the remaining stump gore?
Michael Bard
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:

Wargames Foundry makes Greek casualties, I use them for unit status markers. As to popping off heads, I'd use either a razor saw (if you wanted to keep the head) or a pair of heavy wire cutters if you didn't care what was left of the head when it came off.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: the power of light!

You could, of course, use a laser...
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Head Cutting

Frank,

I much prefer the Interstellar Condordium PPD. "Thwaaack---Thwaaack---Thwaaack....!

Kelly

Captain Frogboy

http://reptor7.tripod.com/jackryderisc.html
Noel White
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

I would advise using a "jewelry saw". They are designed for sawing metals with precision. You can cut straight across, or undulate to fit.

The blades are available in different thickness such a 0.1-0.3mm (pick a thicker one -- breaks less) and are quite cheap. All you need is a handle.
You could find all this stuff at a jewelry supply store. While you were there, you could find plenty of superior tools suitable for model making. Files, rotary tools ... it's like a candy store.

Noel.
Ambrose Coddington
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject:

The process depends on what you are planning to keep.
The head. Cut off the body with some wire cutters and clean up with a dremel and an exacto knife. The body, cut off the head with the snippers and clean up the neck region again with a dremel. Pay close attention to things like shirt lines and the like. They are good to keep and if you are not proficient with modeling putty hard to repair.

I tend to use a round burr and a pointed burr. Expect to only get about 3 minies worth of life out of them however. The burrs fill up with lead/ralidium (Depending on what company you are using) very quickly.
martin h

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject:

I disagree I find the best way is the score round the neck with a shape knife and then the work the head backwards and forwards until the neck snaps. Embarassed The two 'broken' halves can then be cleaned with the same sharp knife. I do this when replacing heads. I have dome a Burmese army using heads from Chariot and bodies from Xyston. To join the new head back on drill a small hole with a hand held pin vice in both bits - a bit fiddly in the head - many slips into ny thumb end!! Then glue ( with Araldite rapid) some piano wire into the head, cut of with pliers, and then glue into the body.
Hey presto!!
OGS-Vintage
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Casualties

I ran thracians and decided to "Decorate" my elements.

I did have the luxury of having some casualty figures but here's what I did.

Take casualty and snip off desired appendage - trim with sharp hobby knife - paint - end of lib is painted red, white dot for bone, tiny black dot for marrow/gore etc - of you really want to be graphic put some sticky glue on it like tarzans grip, tease it a bit and dry brush appropriate colours.

Slash wounds - grab a knife and push hard onto the fiure - decorate the wound with red, gore etc.

Never tried entraills.

Scattered heads and severed limbs really made the thracian 2HCW troops look like name takers and cheered up some opponents (you're sick! unquote).

The beauty is they add to the elements appearance and one figure can go a long way (once dismembered).

If you have No dedicated casualty figures - remove the base - squash flat with hand to make it look sort of deadish then follow above.

Make sure you trickle the blood out to make it look realistic and add flavour to the appearance. Dried clear wood glue, once painted, tends to look like pooled blood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: