Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making a list and checking it twice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Making a list and checking it twice

In the lead up to Historicon and the NICT, I find myself rehearsing in my thoughts over and over again the things I have to be ready for. It's easy to fall into the pattern of thinking about particular army list matchups, and what to do about various "A-list" armies out there. And it's easy to spend a lot of time fretting about how I would play against particular opponents.

When I look back on past NICT performances, however, those aren't really the things that matter. I haven't lost because other people had better army lists than me, nor are there particular players I worry about being matched up against.

We say it over and over again on this list, but by and large for each of us our destiny is in our own hands. It's a matter of focus, concentration, and getting the little things right. So I've been making a list of those little things. It isn't "what to do against Hypaspists", or "how to handle pike-armed elephants". It's more like this (and I think each of my NICT losses over the last several years can be attributed to failure to abide by one or more of these reminders):

- Remember which of my units have not approached, and consider for each whether it needs to counter or retire;
    - Before spending prompt points on retirements or march moves, think ahead to how many charges I will have to prompt;
    - Consider at the end of each bound whether "Wait" orders need to be changed;
    - Remember to staff move any eligible generals;
    - Any time I have units that must approach before enemy mounted, look at the 320p approach+charge range for enemy cavalry, particularly knights;
    - Don't move that last rear element of a body until I'm sure that's the approach/counter/retirement move I want to commit to;
    - Consider carefully who needs to be in skirmish;
    - Leave an evade or recall path for units that will require it;
    - Make sure the flanks of non-skirmishing, non-evading units are protected;
    - Leave channels for reserve strike units to move up, and avoid traffic jams.

Most of all, as Jon says, "Roll up and win!"

-Mark Stone
joncleaves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Actually, when I say "roll up and win!" that is shorthand for "go read this post of Mark's and heed well."

J

workingman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

Well said Mark. For the record I am one of the original Old timers so I can say that I have lost many many games by NOT adhereing to your list. See you next week. GREG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: