Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sam Houston and the Greeks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> History Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Sam Houston and the Greeks

For any interested in the subject, below is anm exchange you might enjoy from the "modeling" sublist:

Dave Clopp wrote:

Hi Guys
Thanks I will use my lunch hour to do some shopping.

And Bill, how did you know my early life heros were Sam Huston and Pelopidas (whom I still hold a high esteem for) as far as tournaments go I just do the local Kansas City one know I hope to make H'con next year (depends on youngest teen and her antics).
Thank You All Dave Clopp

Greek responded:

Bill Chriss
Centurion

Posted: 29 Jul 2006 03:42 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great, Dave. One of the subjects I teach is Texas history, and I, too, am a huge fan of Houston's, and he has long been one of my scholarly interests. A little known fact you might appreciate: Houston's first speech on the floor of Congress after being elected from Tennessee in 1823 was on January 22, 1824. It's subject: Houston's wholehearted support for the Greek Revolution. he remarked to his biographer, C. Edwards Lester, that the main reason he had run off to live with the Cherokees at age 16 was so that he could "read Pope's translation of the Iliad in peace."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> History Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: