Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plastic Figures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Plastic Figures

Frank Gilson and I have been having some debate over email about the merits of plastic figures. While there's an obvious reluctance to use plastic figures, the price is very tempting, and there's a variety of figures available that's tempting as well. See, for example, http://www.michtoy.com.

One problem is that plastics are done in 1/72 scale, and my question to the group here is what does that correspond to? I think it works out to something like 22mm, which is passable for 25mm provided you don't mix them with other 25/28mm figures.

What do other people think?

-Mark Stone
cloppdave
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Hi Mark
As a person who started his 1st real army (after micro tanks) with plastics I used the Arfix Ancient Britians for the army about 30 boxs if I remember and they scaled out to around 21mm so I used the 20/25 mm baseing. Painting was very hard as they have to be washed several times in warm soapy water and then you have to use alot of fixative to try and keep the paint on. I had to repaint after every battle. The paint I used was Humbrol as there was not even Poly-S at that time.
After trying for a year I ordered 20mm Greeks from Garrison as being yound and dumb I said heck with the cost ease of use was worth it.
Being and old lazy guy I will stay with metal.
Yes guys I am that old and no I did not come with Lief the lost to America.
Dave
Ambrose Coddington
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure that you and Frank have hashed out many of the pros and cons of plastic minies. Having built armies with plastics and lead I think the only real merit in plastics the ability to modify them easily. If you intend to do something that includes a whole bunch of conversions then I would say go with it. (25mm is 1/70th scale I think...) The difference in scale will not be really noticeable if your entire army is composed of figures of the same scale.
Plastic figs don't feel the same when you game with them. There is something really inherently nice when moving lead figures. The extra weight makes them feel like they are worth more. (Shadows of 40K and having plastic and lead figs mixed together)
Plastics and lead figs actually paint much the same if you prime properly. Also if you use Testor's Model Master paints the plastics actually paint easier.
Lead figs are also much more durable. (Tim and I don't even seal our figures. And they hold up to my clumsiness quite well!) My 40K army has been repaired several times from drops and crushes.

So cost aside I really feel the lead figs are the better choice.
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject:

I *think* there are several companies out there that make 25mm+ plastic figs. I know Darrell Smith in St Louis has some medieval longbowmen that he picked up in the flea market a couple of years back. They're very nice figures and fit in perfectly with all his other lead-based medievals. What I don't know is who made em. Perhaps somebody on TMP would know.

I just couldn't see going with 1/72 scale figs and I say that as somebody who prefers true 25mm figs. They're just too small to look decent in today's [nominally] 25mm world, particularly since so many people are in effect playing with 28mm armies.

Unlike Ambrose, I don't mind moving around lightweight stands but yeah, that substantive feel of lead is a big attraction to most folks. But if you don't care *and* can find figs in the right scale that also paint up well, yeah, plastic is a viable alternative.

scott

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Attractions of plastic

Plastic figures are enormously cheaper than metal...of course I'm talking about the prices I've seen for older smaller (22mm or 1/72 scale) figures, and not more modern, larger plastics (which I don't even know where to look for.) I've seen useable packs of 30 foot figures for $10 in plastic.

The light weight issue is a plus for those of us who have to carry things on a plane and through an airport.

Does anybody have links for good information about plastic figures? Recent ranges? etc.?
chrisbump
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject:

I also started with plastic Napoleonics and airfix Britons, Romans and their mile fort. I probably still have them all in a box in the barn somewhere.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/

is a reasonable site. They have links and if you select manufacturers it allows you to see all that each of literally dozens of manufacturers of 1/72 make. You should know that some of the Eastern European manufacturers just make knock offs of the Western European and Far Eastern lines.

The biggest aesthetic value of plastic is detail. It is far easier to reproduce detail spinning plastic into moulds than molten metal. Although with some of the plastics knock offs there is a considerable denegration in the detail.

Price is a consideration, but I do not think that travel is. Too many of the appendages, esspecially weapons bend with the slightest jolt of your transportaion method and once the plastic bends the primer chips and takes with it your time consuming paint work. The bigger the figures, the thicker the appendages, the less that they bend and alas the less that they chip.

I believe that most 1/72nds are made as toys and not the models that we push around the table. Otherwise the figures would be less "wide open" and thus more likely to flex and chip.

Written by one who spent too many years painting Airfix, ESCI and other plastic Napoleonics only to have them chip and display that sickly yellow moulded color with each battle.

I recall some years back Scott making the comment that he was going to have to police some of what was being put on the table and called painted armies. I wonder if after an arduous journey and multiple battles if the chipped plastics would fall into that same category.

Chris

Chris
chrisbump
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject:

I also started with plastic Napoleonics and airfix Britons, Romans and their mile fort. I probably still have them all in a box in the barn somewhere.

is a reasonable site. They have links and if you select manufacturers it allows you to see all that each of literally dozens of manufacturers of 1/72 make. You should know that some of the Eastern European manufacturers just make knock offs of the Western European and Far Eastern lines.

The biggest aesthetic value of plastic is detail. It is far easier to reproduce detail spinning plastic into moulds than molten metal. Although with some of the plastics knock offs there is a considerable denegration in the detail.

Price is a consideration, but I do not think that travel is. Too many of the appendages, esspecially weapons bend with the slightest jolt of your transportaion method and once the plastic bends the primer chips and takes with it your time consuming paint work. The bigger the figures, the thicker the appendages, the less that they bend and alas the less that they chip.

I believe that most 1/72nds are made as toys and not the models that we push around the table. Otherwise the figures would be less "wide open" and thus more likely to flex and chip.

Written by one who spent too many years painting Airfix, ESCI and other plastic Napoleonics only to have them chip and display that sickly yellow moulded color with each battle.

I recall some years back Scott making the comment that he was going to have to police some of what was being put on the table and called painted armies. I wonder if after an arduous journey and multiple battles if the chipped plastics would fall into that same category.

Chris
chrisbump
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject:

Chris
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: proper plastic priming/painting

There's got to be a primer/painting method for the various plastics (I know different types of plastic are used) that even with flexing/bending of plastic parts prevents flaking and chipping...anybody?
vdal1812
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:

Take it from someone who has a RAFM true 25mm Indian Army. Plastics are not compatible with lead. I also have a lot of WWII 20mm figures and it's easy to spot the plastic figures among the lead without having to pick them up.
The only advantage I see is cost.

Vidal
Mike Turner
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Frank,
There are some newer spray paints that literally bond to plastics, these were designed for lawn chairs, etc. , which I have used the paint for, and I think this would work on plastic figures as it doesn't crack when bent.

Mike
Noel White
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject:

I might be tempted to use plastic figures if I supplied both opposing armies.
Not a bad idea if you are playing with yourself (snicker), or your aunty.
Looks kinda funny at a tournament/club though when you show up with an army of Greek hobbits...

No seriously, all the plastic sets seem to me to have less paintable detail, since the surfaces tend to be less sharp. They also bend, break and melt easier than white-metal miniatures. Maybe ther have been some changes, but the plastics I remember were quite "bendy" and the paint tended to flake-off when the figures flexed.
After all, we are mostly in this hobby for the little figures (a proper computer game could simulate all this rulebook nonsense with half the brain-pain) so I say go for the best ones you can afford and take the time to paint them well!

Noel.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:

Noel White wrote:

No seriously, all the plastic sets seem to me to have less paintable detail, since the surfaces tend to be less sharp. They also bend, break and melt easier than white-metal miniatures. Maybe ther have been some changes, but the plastics I remember were quite "bendy" and the paint tended to flake-off when the figures flexed.

So, the consistent theme of this discussion thread seems to be "plastic quality sucks, and the scale is a bit off, so don't use them." Let me try and put this back in perspective: the price difference is enormous. So the quality difference would also have to be enormous not to make the price difference tempting.

And if I think about a high profile regular in our hobby (*cough* Frank *cough*) actually having his own figures instead of constantly mooching from whoever is kind enough to have figures to spare... well, plastics might be the way to go.

Noel White wrote:

After all, we are mostly in this hobby for the little figures (a proper computer game could simulate all this rulebook nonsense with half the brain-pain) so I say go for the best ones you can afford and take the time to paint them well!

Noel.

And now I'm gonig to launch into a brief, off-topic rant.

Not one single computer game I've encountered -- and I've dabbled in a lot of computer games -- has anywhere near the realism of even a second-rate miniatures or board game. Take one simple aspect: terrain effects. "Red Alert", "Age of Empires", "Age of Conquerors", "Rise of Nations" (to name a few): none of these have anything in the way of meaningful terrain effects. Don't get me wrong; they're all entertaining games in their own way. But when it comes to any kind of simulation or functional representation of actual combat, they flat out suck.

No, the "old school" of board games and miniatures is way, way ahead of anything I've seen in computer games when it comes to getting a remotely realistic sense of military conflict.

Of course it doesn't have to be this way. A computer game should be inherently better at simulating any number of things. Top of the list would probably be fog of war. But as long as gaming companies are following the Hollywood model of over-priced production that emphasizes glitz over substance, we aren't going to get computer games that do justice to what that gaming medium could offer.

-Mark Stone
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Mark ranted:

Quote:
Not one single computer game I've encountered -- and I've dabbled in a lot of computer games -- has anywhere near the realism of even a second-rate miniatures or board game. Take one simple aspect: terrain effects. "Red Alert", "Age of Empires", "Age of Conquerors", "Rise of Nations" (to name a few): none of these have anything in the way of meaningful terrain effects. Don't get me wrong; they're all entertaining games in their own way. But when it comes to any kind of simulation or functional representation of actual combat, they flat out suck.

Mark, just out of curiosity, did you ever give Wesnoth a try? They seem to have a reasonable handle on fog of war (the 'shroud' effect) and at least some implementation of terrain (via effects on different races/troop types, ambushes, etc.). No argument that human opponents, and Warrior, are more fun, but one possibility. [I know that one of the best UK players is involved in Slytherin Software's games, too - http://www.slitherine.com/ - but have never tried any].

Ewan, always up for an off-topic rant Wink
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Ewan McNay"]Mark ranted:

Quote:

Mark, just out of curiosity, did you ever give Wesnoth a try? They seem to have a reasonable handle on fog of war (the 'shroud' effect) and at least some implementation of terrain (via effects on different races/troop types, ambushes, etc.). No argument that human opponents, and Warrior, are more fun, but one possibility. [I know that one of the best UK players is involved in Slytherin Software's games, too - http://www.slitherine.com/ - but have never tried any].

Ewan, always up for an off-topic rant Wink

Wesnoth rocks. I just finished the Eastern Invasion campaign, and I'm stumped on what must be one of the final scenarios fo the Rise of Wesnoth campaign. Meaningful combat system, good use of terrain effects, a very nice "feel" to the game play... good stuff all around.

But Wesnoth is not a product of a big media game producer like EA or Blizzard. It is a volunteer, open source effort. Having worked in the open source community for most of the past decade, Wesnoth represents exactly the quality and trend-breaking approach I would expect.

-Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: