Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plastic Figures
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Wesnoth

Wesnoth is a good game, basically...and a tremendous effort by a group of volunteers...especially as it runs on almost anything.

Yet, it does run into game design 'issues'...which we may call out as flaws?

1) It uses leveling up for your units.
This is at face great. Your units aren't just faceless masses, but can now improve through use. They cost more gold to maintain at higher levels. All fine. So what's the problem? Oh my when one of your leveled up guys dies that sucks...you can't get them back. This leads to lots of saving/resaving/reloading and overly cautious play to preserve special units, especially across different campaign levels.

2) Your leader must remain on the keep tower in order to summon more units.
How am I supposed to fight with and level up my leader if I have to keep it in one place? Sure, presumably I can 'learn' what the 'ideal' army size is and also try to direct or permit some enemy near my keep...but that's far from ideal, especially concerning beginning players.

3) There's no mechanism to resurrect dead leaders/heroes, and in fact campaign defeat conditions often include their loss.
We learned during Warcraft III development that this sucks sucks sucks. People want to play with their named/powerful/key units...and they will lose them. Losing the game or never having use of that hero again is terrible and frustrating. Some 'resurrection' method needs to be in the game design.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Boy are we off-topic here Smile. And in a rare display of lawfulness, I'll hence refrain from continuing the discussion... seriously, we should probably take this to -

- wait, there *is* no place, now. On the YahooGroup, it'd have been in the realm of general chat, but there's no such forum here. Well, in that case Twisted Evil ...

...well, just to note that the features Frank sees as flaws are good things to me: there's a reward for skill (in e.g. levelling units, maniulating the battle-line, retiring wounded troops, and so on) and a penalty (you lose) to make it have a point Smile. Probably a 'ymmv' case, though.
Ambrose Coddington
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: proper plastic priming/painting

Frank Gilson wrote:
There's got to be a primer/painting method for the various plastics (I know different types of plastic are used) that even with flexing/bending of plastic parts prevents flaking and chipping...anybody?

As a matter of fact Frank, there is.

Use Testors Model Master paints. They thin really well and actually asdhere to plastics (Thats what they were designed to do) so priming is not necessary. (Beyond using a spray basecoat)

I've been using Testors for my Flames of War figs and it works great. I also use them for actual plastic models. The neat thing is that because the stuff actually bonds to plastic it can withstand a real beating.

Ambrose
machiavelli
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Plastic Primer

As mentioned before, prime with a plastic specific primer.

1. Krylon Fusion
2. Rustoleum (same as Krylon, sorry don't know the name of the product)

Have also heard that watered down white glue/PVA helps paint cling and is flexible to avoid chipping.

Scott's Minwax technique would also help with chipping. If you don't want the darkening effect, just get the clear and coat the figure after you have finished painting. The water based one will also really cut down on the fumes in your house. The clear can also be mixed with you own dark colors to get the the 'dip' effect with your own desired shade using inks or paints.

I am curious as to what brands are the larger HO scale plastic figures mentioned? Using plastics would certainly ease the price of entry to the NASAMW.

A sore subject to be sure but there are many more folks that have 15mm figures and they are looking for other rules systems to play in. Plastics may be the best way someone with a limited budget could participate in 25mm tournaments. The price of most 'modern' 25/28mm figures really makes the barrier to entry in this scale prohibitive to a good amount of our potential gaming population.

Chris
wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Another method that works resonably well on the 1/72 plastics in un-diluted PVA. Simply brush it on thickly as a varnish. It dries clear and hard.
It also works well on weapons of lead minis too.
Paul
Ambrose Coddington
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject:

Heh.
The major drawback to using any non water based paint system is the fumes. For painting plastics it really is the best way though. Trust me I have tried all the techniques mentioned above. Testors remains the best in my opinion.

As for the PVA idea... As a base coat I think it is really terrible. It tends to muddle the details really badly. (OK not so badly but I hate ANY detail loss)

The only thing I haven’t done is use PVA as a gloss coat. Sounds interesting. I wonder if it is comparable to a simple varnish coat? Or a lacquer based gloss coat? (They make ones that remain flexible)

Another note:
Don't be afraid to mix your mediums. Acrylics will stick to lacquers. Lacquers will stick (Though not as well and wind up very fragile) to acrylics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: