Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Samnite JLS/HTW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Samnite JLS/HTW

Jon,

I'm posting this in the rules section because I not only want your take on this, but you always respond in a record time. As you are aware, I'm very interested in Early Itallian lists lately and have been steadily painting my Romans. Recently I have noticed something in the notes section of the Samnite list that has bedeviled me. First let me quote from Classical Warrior page 57,

Quote:
"Livy also states that Rome's adoption of the pila came from contact with the Samnites, but there is no archaelogical evidence to support this. The option to give Samnites HTW is intended not to represent an actual pila along the Roman/Etruscan lines, but rather to simulate the mass of javelins they hurled during a charge whose effect would be comparable. This weapon option, and classifying them as Regular, constitutes the best representation of the record and their performance against Rome."

This qoute is what gives me pause to consider the possiblilities. Since these troops are only armed with JLS and the HTW is a mechanic to simulate large quantities of JLS,

1. Should Samnites receive the JLS plus in subsequent bounds, after all, they are only armed with a boatload of JLS?
2. Considering that the HTW is a mechanic to simulate lots of Javelins, would the Samnite infantry count as other weapons only verses SHC,SHI,EHK, or SHK?

I realize this is a list rule thing, but I am always interested in your take on this kind of stuff.

Thanks,

Kelly Wilkinson
joncleaves

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Kelly, my take is that we have it working fine. We spent more time trying to get Samnites right than 90% of everything else it seems. It was a consensus decision after long deliberation and no change is planned.

J

Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks Jon

Jon,

You are the fastest and most responsive rule's guy ever. I agree that you likely think it is not broken. But, considering the quote that Samnites are only armed with JLS, it seems reasonable to think they would get the JLS bonus in subsequent bounds of combat. Yes, I'm sure many emails have passed between you, Scott, and Bill regarding this issue, but was curious all the same since it is mentioned in the notes section that they just have lots of Javs which the list rule takes into account by making them take a minus 2 from facing steady P or LTS. Since this was taken into account it would seem fair to grant them the JLS bonus in subsequent rounds of combat. I just wish there was a Samnite figure that had craploads of Javelins moulded to the fig's shield hand. Then I could accurately portray them for my games of Warrior.

KW

PS My chess club kids are meeting and I plan on doing something Warriorish, do you have any suggestions for something fast and easy to take the place of Warrior battles? I want the kids to be introduced to miniature gaming with a Warrior product rather than something from Warhammer, WRG, Armati, etc. . . The main reason many play WAB is that they are familiar with that system (which was their first dose of miniatures in many cases).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: