Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Theme Rules Playtest
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Warrior Playtest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Theme Rules Playtest

Along with this post is a file of barbarian foot theme/list rules we're examining for use not just for next year's Hcon theme but possibly for wider inclusion in Warrior, most likely as list rules.

I would like any commentary to be *after* you've played some of these.

scott

Tim Grimmett
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Scott--

For the purposes of these Theme rules, is "barbarian foot" defined as any irregular foot unit? Is there a geographic limitation? For example, are irreg Meso-American, Japanese, and Chinese considered "barbarian"?

Tim

scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject:

For right now, any Irr foot unit.

scott

Adrian Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject:

i like it!
Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject:

WhoooHooooooo....here come the Saxons Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers.......Geoff
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

I cut and pasted the rules from the .doc file, I had a little trouble with it as I don't have word on my computer at home. Posting the rules as an additional .txt file would be nice in the future for those of us too pigheaded to load word on all our computers.

I've seen some of these rules in use a little in two games, one Japanese calvary army against a late roman calvary army and in a Steve's gym game.

Movement:
1) Irr Loose march 3 segments (instead of 2) - Saw the Japanese foot marching on three instead of two march bounds, so they were quicker to get to the center line. To me the effect of this rule is convenient for the barbarian foot player as it helps the army deploy at a reasonable speed.
2) Loose/Open force march for only 1 FP (instead of 2) - Didn't see this one being used in either game so no comment. Would seem a little lopsided in use, a unit of ID MI B can force march for 1 fatigue but RD MI B has to play two fatigues.

Combat Related:
1) Counter-charge vs. enemy foot may be impetuous - Didn't see this one in use as all the irregular foot in use was LMI.
2) +1 for each pair of elements over 8 in a body in HTH if charging, counter-charging, pursuing or following up - Saw this one in use a lot, made barbarian foot charges by 12 element units a lot more competitive. I usually play against barbarian foot armies but I like this rule for charges and countercharges, but I think I would drop the following up and pursuing bonus. Need additional clarification on who qualifies, seems silly to be giving this bonus equally to ID MI B, ID LI B, or IB LEHI 2HCT B. Adding a qualifier such as only applies to loose or close foot equipped with melee weapon (1HCW, JLS, 2HCW, 2HCT, HTW, LTS, P, or 2 SA) and morale grade D or above (no IE troops).
3) 3rd and 4th ranks of troops eligible to fight count 1/3 figures if charging, counter-charging, pursuing or following up - Didn't see this one in use so no comments
4) Only 1 FP per CPF in first round of HTH - I'm ambivalent about this one, I can see the intent is to help the durability of irregular foot in combat. I think my main objection is that this should be helping a foot unit that is taking reasonable losses in combat, but shouldn't apply after a limit is reached. So I would go for a rebate rule of some kind, along of the lines of a unit that got the +1 or +2 for barbarian foot charges doesn't have the first (ten elements) or second (12 elements) casualty per figure fatigue doubled in the first round of combat. So a big unit in combat would be helped but a 6 man unit of naked berserkers charging a steady unit of legionaires would still be properly fatigued into exhaustion.

Morale:
1) Bodies are eager while any friendly body within [240] [160] [120] paces can be seen to be in combat but not shaken/broken friends - Didn't see this rule in use.
2) Bodies test for seeing routers only if they are of the same nationality [and not of a lower morale grade] - Didn't see this one in use
3) Bodies do not test for seeing a general in line of command killed; rather, they are eager in the subsequent round of HTH combat [does not apply if general is only routed or wounded and carried off the field] - Didn't see this one in use

Thanks,

Jamie White
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Deleted to cut down on posting errors

Jamie White

Last edited by jamiepwhite on Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I deleted this post to cut down on posting errors.

Thanks,

Jamie
Dennis Shorthouse
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Scott,

under COMBAT RELATED: 3rd & 4th ranks eligible to fight count 1/3 figs
if..........

would a 3 wide by 4 deep unit of MI Galatians/Saxons etc
get 1/3 of the 3rd & 4th ranks ie 1/3 x 8 figs = 3 rounded up?

thanks, Dennis
Dennis Shorthouse
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Scott,

under COMBAT RELATED: 3rd & 4th ranks eligible to fight count 1/3 figs
if..........

would a 3 wide by 4 deep unit of MI Galatians/Saxons etc
get 1/3 of the 3rd & 4th ranks ie 1/3 x 8 figs = 3 rounded up?

thanks, Dennis
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Dennis: See above.

Jamie: Thanks!

scott

scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Only 1 FP per CPF in first round of HTH - I'm ambivalent about this one, I can see the intent is to help the durability of irregular foot in combat. I think my main objection is that this should be helping a foot unit that is taking reasonable losses in combat, but shouldn't apply after a limit is reached. So I would go for a rebate rule of some kind, along of the lines of a unit that got the +1 or +2 for barbarian foot charges doesn't have the first (ten elements) or second (12 elements) casualty per figure fatigue doubled in the first round of combat. So a big unit in combat would be helped but a 6 man unit of naked berserkers charging a steady unit of legionaires would still be properly fatigued into exhaustion.

Jamie: Could you elaborate on this one a bit? I'm not sure I follow what you mean.

scott

jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject:

Sure, let me make a table of fatigues taken for a few conditions. Basically, if you are getting a plus in combat for being large (10 or 12 elements), then 1 or 2 cpf do not have their fatigue doubled for that bound. So here's a quick chart

1 CPF taken 2 CPF taken 3 or more CF taken
9 elements 2 fatigue 4 fatigue 6 or more fatigue
10 or 11 1 fatigue 3 fatigue 5 or more
12 1 fatigue 2 fatigue 4 or more

Jamie
Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject:

I played a game this weekend using Scots Isles vs Marian Roman. After viewing the proposed rules we decided to go with just these two;

2) [color=red]+1 for each pair of elements over 8 in a body in HTH if charging, counter-charging, pursuing or following up
4) Only 1 FP per CPF in first round of HTH [/color]

It was a great game. I rolled more than my share of plusses Very Happy but came unstuck when my C in C with the army standard died Crying or Very sad .
From a situation where close formation barbarian foot ( not armed with HTW ) had virtually no chance front on against legionaries, the above two changes put them right back in the frame. Even without luck the Barbarians are a big show - it all comes unstuck once the Barbarians lose momentum which is as it should be.
I think it would be great for the - Only 1 FP per CPF in first round of HTH - to be universally applied to all irregulars. The - +1 for each pair of elements over 8 in a body in HTH if charging, counter-charging, pursuing or following up - would be best reserved for true warband style armies.

Cheers....................Geoff
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. It appears that some selectivity will need to go into this but for now, everybody, go with the broad brush approach and tell us what you think.

Thanks again, this is really helpful.

scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Warrior Playtest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: