Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KC Multi-week tourney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Hollowell
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: KC Multi-week tourney

Well, the final game has finally been played and the results of the first multi-week tourney are in...

23.8 Jon Cleaves - Polybian Roman
18.5 Charles Yaw - Sassanid Persian
17.2 Mike Lewis - Later Judean
17.1 Kelly Wilkinson - Camillan Roman
14.7 Todd Schneider - Araucanian
14.4 Mike Turner - LIR
11.1 Brady Kopek - Nik. Byzantine
3.6 Dave Clopp - Later Greek, Theban Sublist

Congrats to Jon. This should qualify him for Historicon.

Thanks to all others for participating. I hope everyone had fun and learned a bit about their army and is able to improve their game.

Look for the next Warrior multi-week tourney coming again after the new year.

sh

Last edited by Steve Hollowell on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Armies

Steve,

Why not include the armies that each person played? I'm sure the readership would be most interested.

Kelly
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: armies

Indeed, we would be interested to see the armies played. Hopefully there will be some after action reports posted here also.

Frank
joncleaves

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:

You'll note Steve has gone back and updated the post with the armies played.

This was a great event. The three rounds were played over six weeks (planned, turned out to be a little more) with each round's game played at the player's convenience. Given the length of a Warrior game, this kept games played at our local game store over a long period, but did not require anyone to give up a complete Saturday and Saturday night.
I know the DC crowd does this a lot and its a great format.

I played Polybians to work out some things before I start painting my 25mm army.
My list:
4x4E Romans
4x4E velites
2x4E Slingers
2x4E Numidian LC
1x2E Irreg D Elephants
2x4E Spanish foot
2xTarantine LC (2E, 4E)
1x2E Italian LC
1x2E HC Gen
2x1E HC Gen

Kelly's LI outclassed mine (and Poly velites are no slouches) and my over-tricky double flank march so no one enter, so I did not have the mass to take on his line anywhere and he played a solid game. 2-2 draw.

In the next two games vs Mike T's LIR and Mike L's Judeans were characterised by my abundance of lights eventually wearing down theirs and getting me inside the battleline on my terms. Oh and some seriously uncharacteristically good performance from my D elephants...lol

J

scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

The coolest thing to see in this list of armies were the two Classical Romans, Later Judean and a Hoplite list.

Whenever I see a tourney with army representation like that, I convince myself we at FHE did *something* right with Warrior.

Well, I'd talk more but I'm not done patting myself on the back.

scott

joncleaves

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Don't pat too hard. Remember next summer's theme....
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:

The army choices are neat; but the high point must be the conversion of Jon "Light troops are a liability" Cleaves to the forces of Light.

Well, ok, more like the forces of twilight, but still..
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:

And everybody, don't forget, that there will be theme rules. They will come from what I posted a while back and asked everybody to playtest.

Additional playing experience with the rules would be helpful. I'd like to get this settled as soon as I can so as to give folks the most lead time for the Theme.

scott

joncleaves

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Misnamer! lol

I am Jon "Light troops that suck are a liability when you have no loose order counter to the other guy's lights" Cleaves

With 1.5 rank Tarantines, charging through rough Numidian LC and Reg JLS LI that your HI can move through freely, you bet I loaded up on lights.

Also part of my promise to myself to stop experimenting in PA and do all of that in KS... Wink

J

Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Multi-Week Tourney

This was another outstanding KC event that really gave the players the freedom to get their games in a reasonable amount of time. Additionally, I'd like to note that I had a super time playing Jon in our "civil war" style game. The competition as usual was high and army choices were neat.

As Jon said, he and I met for our first game. What I think he meant to say was that our game was a 2-2 draw on the table, but his decent sized flank march failed to show up giving me a 3-2 narrow win. Basically like kissing your sister, but I'll take whatever win I can against a great player like him. By the way, Jon's Elephant corp and Numidians performed with distinction and merit. And yes he was Mr. lights being able to stretch out the line very well.

My Second game was with Charles Yaw. Charles puts quite a lot of thought into his lists and has a list that matches his style of play. Basically, he can choose his point of attack which confounds most opponents and ends with him winning by good margins. Unfortunately I got most of my flank terrain two woods on one flank and a major water on my right which allowed me to create a double line with LTS in the first line and HTW in my second line to finish up any fighting. This situation made it very tough for anyone wishing to go in with good odds to come out the victor (at least for the pants wearing Persians). Basically the only person to get a point out of our game was me as I had to chase down a couple of 2 element Li in the woods with my single 2 element MC JLS,Sh unit. Charles is a tough opponent and always plays a challenging match. 1-0 my favor.

Last round was against Brady Kopek. Brady was playing Nike Byzantines with quite a bit of Cav as I recall and two big units of Skuts. Basically, he went for broke and charged into the teeth of one of my LTS units with SHC and HC and successively got some up rolls and within a turn, broke it causing some lights and several other units to go down in it's vicinity. This was a fairly bloody affair with my Hastati beating his skutatoi and crushing some misquided Viking types who reminded my Early Romans of Gauls. 5-3 win for me.

As far as my army list goes. . . it was the same one I used at last Historicon that contained something like 268 or so LTS and HTW armed foot. The Leves aren't too shabby and get to use the nasty Roman infantry rules. And the really nifty thing about the list is that you can take all your Hastati and Princepes as Mi! Very sweet for those of us who like running Romans in three lines. The cool thing was, in my game with Jon, my army had the "feel and look" of a manipular legion with Hastati in the first line, Princepes in a second line, and my Triari defending my camp waiting for Jon's flank march which luckily for them, never arrived.

Thanks Steve for offering to set up the tourney. Smile

Kelly Wilkinson
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Charles' army

Oops! Embarassed ,

I forgot to mention that Charles was playing Sassanid Persian!

Kelly
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject:

I would love to take a look at what a Late Judean list would look like.

Any way we could see the list used at the tournament???

Todd K

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: