Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Echelon, again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject:

FWIW it helps me and easier to wrap my old grey head around!
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject:

Well Jon, I'm still not clear on all of this, but I'm getting closer. We have two separate discussion threads on related issues, and we have several different situations in each thread.

Let me try and summarize:

General situation (synthesized somewhat):
    * Unit A is a cavalry unit declaring a charge, and is at least two elements wide;
    * Unit 1 is a Roman legion (one element wide) within 160p of Unit A;
    * Unit 2 is a Roman auxilia (one element wide) within 160p of Unit A, but farther from Unit A than Unit 1;
    * If Unit 1 counter-charges, then Unit A can only reach Unit 2 with an echelon that would disorder Unit A; otherwise if I does not counter-charge, A could echelon forward without disorder to reach 2.

Unit A could declare a charge on Unit 1, or on both Unit 1 and Unit 2. It could declare the charge to be impetuous or not. As far as I can tell none of those choices matter, since a charge counts as declared on all enemy bodies in the path, and charge path extends out to the charger's tactical move once any wheels have been declared.

So it appears to me that the charge by A is against both 1 and 2, even if it is written down as just against 1.

Jon confirms all this by the way, when he states (in another forum thread on this overall topic):
joncleaves wrote:
they were in the charge path and therefore counted as having the charge declared on them - whether it was originally formally declared against them by the player or not.

So why doesn't 2 get a charge response, regardless of whether A chooses to echelon? Indeed why isn't 2 required to make a charge response? That's the part I'm hung up on. If you have a charge declared on you, you make a charge response. The rules seem black and white on that point. There are very few cases where you don't get a charge response when in the charge path, and the rules are quite clear on those limited exceptions. That may not be Jon's intent, but I know Scott will go by the black and white of what's written.

I know this is complex, and I know that, as Jon says, it isn't possible to write a clause for every possible circumstance. In those cases I look for some kind of underlying "game design" rationale that can guide interpretation. Jon has given us that:
joncleaves wrote:
Down on the ground, the men of what we call an LMI unit are watching some distant enemy cavalry body begin charging them. Without precise measuring instruments, these men do not know that a friendly cavalry unit off to their left will reach the enemy in time to prevent them crashing into their own line. A test of their manliness ensues. Perhaps the enemy cavalry actually reach them, perhaps not - but they take a waver test because at their level, it sure looks to *them* like the cav are coming...

But this underlying rationale again seems to confirm that Unit 2 must make a charge response prior to knowing Unit A's intent with respect to echeloning.

If I'm missing something explicit in the "black book" rules and/or official addenda, please point me to it. Otherwise, if there is something in the various discussion threads that will become official addenda that Scott will refer to, point me to that. And of course, if I'm just being dense -- always a possibility -- just say so, and I'll suffer with just not understanding how this is all supposed to work.

-Mark Stone
joncleaves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Body's not in charge reach do not respond or take wavers.

This from 6.162 on charge reach:

"Charge reach is measured to the
point of first contact with the target body. If the body cannot
legally declare a charge against a target or is prevented from
doing so by some obstacle such as terrain or an intervening
body, that target is not in the body’s charge reach.
For charge declarations, a player can make NO assumptions
about what happens once the charge actually occurs."

This means that unit 2 isn't in charge reach until A echelons and can reach it with that echelon.

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject:

joncleaves wrote:
Body's not in charge reach do not respond or take wavers.

This from 6.162 on charge reach:

"Charge reach is measured to the
point of first contact with the target body. If the body cannot
legally declare a charge against a target or is prevented from
doing so by some obstacle such as terrain or an intervening
body, that target is not in the body’s charge reach.
For charge declarations, a player can make NO assumptions
about what happens once the charge actually occurs."

This means that unit 2 isn't in charge reach until A echelons and can reach it with that echelon.

I think I have found the source of my confusion here Jon. You cite 6.162, which references "charge reach". However, 6.162G does not make any mention of "charge reach"; it only references "charge path". This creates the impression in the reader that charge path, not charge reach, governs who can or must make a charge response.

In other words, the rules seem to lay out a process like this:
    * the player determining what charges he will declare uses "charge reach" to determine who may make a charge declaration (6.162).
    * once declarations are announced, charge targets are determined not by "charge reach", but by "charge path" (6.162G, 6.162H).
    * the player receiving charges makes charge responses based on who is a charge target, which is determined by who is in the "charge path".

I now see that this is not how you want this section to be read, but it seems to me that nonetheless it's what the section in fact does say.

-Mark Stone
joncleaves

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Does an LMI body respond to a charge (not against evaders or routers) by a Knight body 161p away? No. Why? Its out of charge reach. If i went with your rules change, I could charge someone across the table and make him take a waver 3 feet away.

Charge path is not infinite.

In any case, I think you might have missed 6.162H:

"H. Charge Path. The charge path of a charge is a zone as
wide as the charging body extending out its tactical move."

This can change if the move becomes variable, but if it does not, that's it - you can't be in a charge path if you are beyond the tactical move of the charger.

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject:

joncleaves wrote:
Does an LMI body respond to a charge (not against evaders or routers) by a Knight body 161p away? No. Why? Its out of charge reach. If i went with your rules change, I could charge someone across the table and make him take a waver 3 feet away.

Knights do not have a tactical move of 161p. They have a tactical move of 160p. I'm quite familiar with clause H; indeed it is the part of this I'm getting hung up on.

Nothing in the rules says or implies that charge path is infinite. And charge path is clearly referenced where charge response is at issue. But nothing in the rules says that charge response is governed by charge reach. That's all I'm saying.

I know it's frustrating you when people don't read things the way you intended them to be read. And I do -- now -- understand how you want this read. I'm just saying I don't see the letter of the rules reflecting your intent, and I certainly don't want to be in the middle of the NICT with nothing better to say than "well, Jon said on the forum..."

If you think this is all sufficiently clear as stands, then of course I'll muddle along.

-Mark Stone
Terry Dix
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject:

joncleaves wrote:

This can change if the move becomes variable, but if it does not, that's it - you can't be in a charge path if you are beyond the tactical move of the charger.

Jon a followup question.
If I have an 3E wide HC lined up so that 1E will contact a LC 80p away and 2E are oppisite an LMI block 161, if the LC evade and I roll long can I contact or is it deemed beyond the charge range? Does it matter that if the LC are covering the LMI? I think if the LMI are uncovered I would be able to contact the LMI.
joncleaves

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject:

@ Mark - I am not giving up on you. I just don't see the issue. Path is what matters in a response and the outer limit of path is reach. I am willing to keep working through this with you if you show me the issue.

@ Terry - when a charge becomes a variable move, the extent of charge reach (and therefore the out limit of the charge path) changes. That may change who has to respond and/or take a waver.

John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: please excuse me butting in

I think I can cut to the chase here...

Repeat of example...
* Unit A is a cavalry unit declaring a charge, and is at least two elements wide;
* Unit 1 is a Roman legion (one element wide) within 160p of Unit A;
* Unit 2 is a Roman auxilia (one element wide) within 160p of Unit A, but farther from Unit A than Unit 1;
* If Unit 1 counter-charges, then Unit A can only reach Unit 2 with an echelon that would disorder Unit A; otherwise if I does not counter-charge, A could echelon forward without disorder to reach 2.

6.162:
"Charge reach is measured to the point of first contact with the target body.

6.162H:
"H. Charge Path. The charge path of a charge is a zone as wide as the charging body extending out its tactical move."

* once declarations are announced, charge targets are determined not by "charge reach", but by "charge path" (6.162G, 6.162H).
* the player receiving charges makes charge responses based on who is a charge target, which is determined by who is in the "charge path".

So the rules seem to indicate as written that even though the Aux are not in "charge reach" they are in "charge path", which does not mean that charge path extends three feet away it just means that it extends to the tactical move distance until a variable move extends it further.
But being in charge path, regardless of charge reach, would seem with the way the rules are written to mean the Aux would waver and make responses.

It sounds (?) to me like the "intent" is not what is written but rather that charge path extends to tactical move distance ***with an additional limitation to charge reach***.
joncleaves

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject:

As I believe both what you have written to be correct and the rules and intent to match in this case, I do not see whatever disconnect between intent and rule that you are seeing.

Please feel free to ask a question and use a diagram to do so.

Jon

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject:

joncleaves wrote:
Path is what matters in a response and the outer limit of path is reach.

Ah, at last! I think we've found the key phrase here. So: where is it stated in the rules that the outer limit of path is reach?

-Mark Stone
joncleaves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject:

I am just about done with the latest errata update and I will add a sentence stating it is explicitly so.
joncleaves

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject:

The following is new errata we have just approved. Sometime in the next few days a document consolidating this with previous errata and superceding all previous errata documents will be posted on this forum and on our website.
I am placing this here because some of it clarifies the discussion in this particular thread. The portion applying to this thread is highlighted in bold.

New Errata, 1 May 2007

6.163H (pg 43). Change “extending out its tactical move.” at the end of the first sentence to “extending out to its charge reach.”

6.7 (pg 65-66). Add: “A body that includes animals voluntarily moving (including maneuvering) in or into a very rough area must be and remain in column."

6.711 (pg 65). In the second paragraph, delete “until next bound. “

9.3 (pg 83). (Supersedes old errata). Add fifth bullet under JLS:

• "A foot figure armed with JLS and with no other close combat weapon but inherent SA always receives the JLS +.”

12.322B (pg 9Cool. Add: “A body that includes animals voluntarily moving (including maneuvering) in or into a very rough area must be and remain in column."

12.323 (pg 98-100). Gully sides, Hedges, Portable Obstacles and Temporary Fortifications (12.324) have a “line of effect” (LOE). This LOE is the actual line that, when crossed, produces the effects of the obstacle for 12.323 (and therefore also 6.7) and 9.5.
Warrior cannot hope to describe all the various ways these features may be modeled and does not want to restrict player creativity. The player placing the terrain feature, portable obstacle (PO) or temporary fortification (TF) must designate which linear part of the representation is the LOE. For example, a physical model of a gully will have gully sides that have varying degrees of depth to them, but the placing player will designate exactly where the LOE exists in the modeling of the gully side.
For PO’s the LOE will be the edge of the PO in contact with the deploying body at the time of deployment.

The on-table representations of these items may have the depths specified in their various rules, but it is only when the LOE is contacted that the feature produces its game effect(s).

For all rules the words “crosses an/the obstacle” will mean “crosses an/the obstacle’s LOE”. “Across an/the obstacle” will mean “across a/the LOE.”

For the purposes of 9.5, “defending the obstacle” is the same as “the (first) body in contact with the LOE.” “Entering combat” is the same as “contacting the LOE as part of a charge.”

12.323E (pg 99). Tethered animals may be destroyed in the same way as TFs. This is done in the same manner as in 12.324E with the following exceptions:
1. The PO must be shot at as a whole.
2. Each element counts as 3 figures for CPF calculations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: