Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midianite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPPB2007
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Midianite

A couple of HCons ago there were some Midianite lists. Anyone have a sample I could look at? Any general thoughts on the list? Tactics with it?

Also, am I reading it correctly in terms of shooting? A 4 element MCm unit with 2 bow armed riders per fig would have 24 figures shooting at 80 paces? Aka 6 figures shooting per element? Second rank shooting at full effect over first rank at 80 paces?

Please advise! Thanks!

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Midianite

JPPB2007 wrote:
A couple of HCons ago there were some Midianite lists. Anyone have a sample I could look at? Any general thoughts on the list? Tactics with it?

Also, am I reading it correctly in terms of shooting? A 4 element MCm unit with 2 bow armed riders per fig would have 24 figures shooting at 80 paces? Aka 6 figures shooting per element? Second rank shooting at full effect over first rank at 80 paces?

Please advise! Thanks!

Yes, you are reading that correctly in terms of shooting. That is the Midianite "gimmick": the highest density of shooting you can get in Warrior. There are several drawbacks to the Midianite list, however:
    * Dense shooting is all there is to the list - no shock troops of any kind;
    * The shooting is being put out by the troop type in Warrior most vulnerable to shooting, namely MCm/MC, so the Midianites have issues themselves with armies that put out a lot of shooting;
    * Camels are slow mounted, meaning they cannot successfully evade away from well-played knights or cav who have a longer tactical move and who can be shielded from Midianite shooting by support troops who use the shooting priorities to draw fire;
    * Mounted only have a shooting range of 160p, meaning well played regular foot shooters (say, 100 Year's War English) can often position themselves to shoot the camels up from long range without fear of shooting reprisal.

As with many other lists in Warrior, the Midianites are too homogeneous on their own list, and often work best as a component of some other list. As I recall, Derek Downs has had considerable success running Midianites as part of a Neo-Babylonian army, and Tim Brown has had success running Midianties as part of a Neo-Assyrian army.

-Mark Stone
Dave Markowitz
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Here is a 1600 point list

Amalekite Nomad/ LIST 13 CLIMATE-- DRY
LIST I
Points (1601) Scouting: (87)
Scounting
C&C and 2 Mcm B 106 1
Sub-general and 2mcmb 56 1

16 Javelinmen Irr c li jls 57 4
16 Javelinmen Irr c li jls 57 4
20 Javelinmen Irr c li jls 65 5

24 Slingers Irr C LI S 49 6
24 Slingers IRR c LI S 49 6

24 Bowman Irr D LI B 49 6
24 Bowman Irr D LI B 49 6

18 Camels 2 irr c B crew 133 6

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject:

I remember the conversation Dave and I had regarding Midianite. Many have taken a unit or 2 of Light Camels, but we disagreed. Taking as many MCms as possible is best since they are what makes the list go. Light camels are slow and are likely to be caught by enemy LC or even LMI. They also don't have the same fire power as the double armed camels.

You will not find a problem w/ board coverage and with the cavalry rules you can fire your mc units 3 ranks deep in skirmish very effectively.

It does have its major problems - Inca, Aztec, and other shooting armies. Interesting army though.

Todd K

Dwyight
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: MIdianite Army

I have played this army for a number of years and I have done better with this army than other armies. Patience is the key to playing this army. The trick to this army is to NOT commit the MCM 2w/b until there is an opening. This is easy to do because there many light infantry in this army that can be used as screens. Also, the light infantry is so cheap that you can actually exhaust an opponent by allowing him to repeatedly attack the LI by converting into units of light infantry and breaking the LI. Also, large blocks of MCM are useful because the army is vulnerable to missile fire. Finally, knights and other cavalry are not a problem. resist the impulse to charge with the MCM. They are there for shooting not shock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: