Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monty Hall hasn't been kind to the long sticks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Jon quoth:
Quote:
So, let me get this straight - you bought a bunch of figures. Sometime after you bought those figures another army list book is published and in that book a list rule gives abilities to a troop type that has a morale/training/type/weapon equivalent in your list and now - what? You wish you had bought those figures instead? Does that mean you bought the original figures thinking they were good in an open tourney setting but found others you now want more - meaning you have no historical attachment to the originally purchased figures? And were not planning to play them primarily in historical matchups? Do I have the issue right?

If I do, what exactly has that got to do with us?

Well... actually, it does: you (personally and FHE) have noted several times that one of your aims is _never_ to devalue a player's investment in figs by making an army less useful. Fine: but 'tis true that if armies B,C,D through ZZ are made more useful, army A is hence less useful by comparison - and by comparison is the only standard that matters.

Mark is of course right that you're not aiming for points = troop value, even though many of us (a different 'many' from the one Mark is in, on this occasion Razz ) think that should indeed be the aim. But I think you overstepped the mark on this response.

And anyway, I thought *I* was the (brutal and thuggish) bad cop?
Terry Dix
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Ewan,
I would like to get the points to get closer to equal in value, but having invested a lot of free time into it I don't think the fix going to be a simple one.
The system has blips, MC is very overvalued, to the point that you only see required mininmums. RA is overcosted, indeed all of the morale classes have some costing issues. I don't have the system fully analyzed so I'm not ready to put forth a complete system. I'm not sure it can be done in a fashion that makes list construction easy, and keep the mistakes down.
Ideally weapons would be purchased and morale would be purchased last as a modifier of the base cost. I don't think that that would fly, nor do I think it would be a lot of fun to do the math that way. The question is is there a way to do a change that is effective and managible

Last edited by Terry Dix on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
joncleaves

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject:

"Less useful" has always been shorthand for "we won't go back and change a list to make it less powerful than it was originally against historical opponents" meaning, if we find that we got it wrong, we will only fix it to make it better, not worse.

How a list does compares in an open sense is not a major concern in any decision I have made or will make.

Noel White
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject:

Pardon my unrelated interruption....

Who is "Monty Hall"?

Noel.
joncleaves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject:

There was a game show in the 70's with Monty Hall as host. He gave away prizes based on some simple games, the most famous of which is take door 1, 2 or 3 and you get what is behind it - a shell game.

Monty Hall (or Monty Haul) became slang for a roleplaying adventure where the GM just gave stuff away easily without serious effort by the players.

Using it in reference to Warrior is both inaccurate and trolling.

Jon

AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Basically, this argument is over whether a historical rules set is or ought to be "fair". Tournament players want a "fair"set, by which they mean that in theory 1600 points of Later Hemophiliac Nuns played well can beat 1600 points of Western Stone Killers played less well. The Horsemen basically say they care a lot less about "fairness" than they do about historicity. Some aremies are going to be better than others. There are going to be "dog" armies and "killer" armies; deal with it, say the Horsemen.

Personnally, I'd rather have an accurate game than a fair game, and if that means I lose a few where I outplay my opponent, that's life. If you care most about winning, play a killer list and be done with it. If you play because it's fun, play what you love and quit whining. This is easier said than done. The new List Rules are jarring for some of us crusty old 7th players, no doubt about it. Personally, I find myself puzzled and a bit disoriented with some of the weird stuff Romans and Swiss do in HTH, but this is more a comment on my own lack of mental flexibility that one on the rules. On balance, those list rules end up producing a historical result, even though they arrive there by a route I find difficult to understand, so I just have to suck it up, smile, and roll up 3.

This is a great game. Not a perfect one, but damn good. Learn to quit worrying and love the Swiss.

Last edited by AntiokosIII on Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Terry Wrote:
The system has blips, MC is very overvalued, to the point that you only see required mininmums. RA is overcosted, indeed all of the morale classes have some costing issues. I don't have the system fully analyzed so I'm not ready to put forth a complete system.

This is one of my favorite parts of Warrior. A player has a huge degree of flexibility to choose an army that reflects his style. No single troop type is without it's place. The list rules help to bridge the gap between the inherent limits of troop classification and historic performance.
I think MC is valued perfectly. I won a competition last year with 36 of them and none were minimums. Likewise a Swiss unit without an element of Regular As is no where near as useful. The points difference between EHC and SHC is quite a jump but you often see them in a Sassanid list.
Romans and Swiss are 2 perfect examples of why list rules were needed to balance the costing structure. They both get lots of list rules, they will do well against historic opponents. Yet they are really expensive and have poor support troops, therefore not often seen in competition. Not a fault of the list rule rather the nature of open tournament play.

Paul Collins.
vdal1812
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject:

1600 points of Later Hemophiliac Nuns

Hang on, are you telling me I'm painting Nuns for nothing? Well I guess I'll be pushing for list rules for my Nuns! You hear that Scott? Give me killer nuns!

Vidal
joncleaves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject:

I have Western Stone Killers on my iPod.....
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject:

I think they get a -2 for distraction under such circumstances, and prompts take an extra 2d5 [unless said Killers are also teenagers, in which case all routes from general to the unit are treated as impassable terrain]

Sorry...
QBeamus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: distinct lack of concensus

Quote:
You will have a difficult time demonstrating that "the present trend regarding gadget rules on army lists [is] a bad one." No one in a position to change anything at FHE believes they are "gadget rules". No one at FHE reacts to the words "gadget rules" or "monty hall" with the thought that the speaker is truly engaged in a useful discussion. No part of any of your posts has proven that the list rule concept is a bad one, while to the contrary, sales and feedback have provided us with much data that we are doing it right.

The falacy of this argument is obviously. Taken seriously, your argument would suggest, for example, that Windows is a flawless product, because it sells a lot of copies. The absurdity is self evident.

Nor would I expect you to claim that the product cannot be improved, when the question is put to you in those terms. So let's move past this non-argument, and address the real question: Is it a good idea to have a bunch of gadget rules on the army lists. (Incidentally, while you apparently seem to believe this terminology is inappropriate, I'm not really sure why. Still, if it will help you to address the substance of the issue, just let me know what terminology you might find more politically correct.)

Quote:
Before we start, let me summarize some things you may not know.

1. The point system does not perfectly reflect pure tournament combat value, but is rather a hybrid system primarily concerned with matching combat value to 'effort' required by the army in question to field the troop in question.

Yes I'm familiar with this fact. But if you want point systems that reflect two things that are unrelated to one another--in this case, combat effectiveness and economic cost--then you should have two separate cost lists. I'm not sure how often anyone who plays this game needs to be able to compare the economic cost of different forces, but, if and when that happens, then they could look at a cost list that is designed for that purpose. And, in the other 99.99% of cases, when people are seeking to balance forces to make a fun scenario, they'd have a list designed for that purpose. At present, as the various posters' comments make clear, you've got one list that doesn't do either one right.

Quote:
3. No list rule was written to make a list "more viable". All list rules were written to make their troop type perform as we believe it did historically and where the basic game engine fails to reproduce the correct effect.
You are correct in one area for certain. We have no real desire to worry about whether the point value of medieval spanish spearmen is precisely correct with respect to open-tourney combat value of hoplites.

Why say this much, but hide from the obvious question? Did Spanish spearmen perform significantly differently from a Greek phalanx? What's your historical evidence for believing so? And, if so, why even class them as the same kind of troop? My bet is that there isn't any such evidence. If there were, those careful historians who built the system wouldn't have treated them as the same kind of troops. (Still, perhaps new evidence has been discovered in recent years.)

As for the argument that the gadget rules on the new lists were created to fix problems with historical matchups, I guess I have to admit I don't really know what you're talking about. From my earliest days of experience with this system, I always heard people complaining that there were certain historical match-ups that didn't work the way they historically did. In most cases, I found those opinions to be based on a rules error (such as the fact that the German barbarians fighting Roman troopers took 2 fatigue per CPF, while the Romans only took 1). The rest seemed to be based on an understanding of what was historical derived from fantasy role playing games. Not to say that there were no historical inaccuracies in the system--just that, in my anecdotal experience, there were a lot more complaints about them than there were genuine flaws. All of which I say to advert to the possibility that I am underestimating the benefits of the gadget rules.

Still, it's hard to understand why all such problems couldn't have been solved with a cost system that accurately reflected the value of troops.

Quote:
So, let me get this straight - you bought a bunch of figures. Sometime after you bought those figures another army list book is published ...? Do I have the issue right?

If I do, what exactly has that got to do with us?

Except for the fact that you've personalized it to me, yes, I think you've got the issue right. And I think Ewan's response was just about perfect, so I won't try to improve upon it.
joncleaves

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject:

Sorry, dude, *I'm* not the one saying we got the history wrong. I think we got it right. I don't believe any of these rules are "gadget rules". I think they are fine. In fact, I am VERY happy with Alexandrians, Romans and Thebans. Therefore, if someone needs to show what lists need work and why - from an historical standpoint - its you.

Any time you're ready...lol

And really, since none of your posts have any facts in them, if some are not forthcoming, the benefit of the doubt will expire and you will indeed be trolling and I'll be done with this thread. The fact I have been on it this long, given the speciousness of the "issue", is quite above and beyond the call.

And no, windows is not flawless. Neither is Warrior. But we have yet to have a flaw of either actually pointed out in this thread. "It has gadget rules and I don't like them" isn't a flaw - it is a perjorative unsubstantiated claim.

Stop the name calling and being overly clever and state your issue or prepare not to have anyone from FHE responding to your trolling.

Jon

QBeamus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: vietnam?

Quote:
Sorry, dude, *I'm* not the one saying we got the history wrong. I think we got it right. I don't believe any of these rules are "gadget rules". I think they are fine. In fact, I am VERY happy with Alexandrians, Romans and Thebans. Therefore, if someone needs to show what lists need work and why - from an historical standpoint - its you.

Any time you're ready...lol

And really, since none of your posts have any facts in them, if some are not forthcoming, the benefit of the doubt will expire and you will indeed be trolling and I'll be done with this thread. The fact I have been on it this long, given the speciousness of the "issue", is quite above and beyond the call.

And no, windows is not flawless. Neither is Warrior. But we have yet to have a flaw of either actually pointed out in this thread. "It has gadget rules and I don't like them" isn't a flaw - it is a perjorative unsubstantiated claim.

Stop the name calling and being overly clever and state your issue or prepare not to have anyone from FHE responding to your trolling.

Firstly, I have never called you a name--despite the fact that you have not been so courteous (some might say "mature"). Secondly, I decline to bow to threats. FHE is welcome to respond to me, or not, as they please, but I'm not going to refrain from criticism to curry favor, and I can't say it reflects well on anyone who'd even make such a demand.

Which brings me to your putative response to my points. And if you were lol, I have to say I find your response equally comical. It appears to be a rhetorical analogue to the end of Viet Nam. Just declare victory and go home, and hopefully no one will notice that you lost. You claim ignorance of any facts in my posts, so let me cite a few key ones for you:

1) Your changes to the system have devalued figures people had already invested in

2) Your point system is used to balance scenarios, whether or not it is well designed for that purpose

3) There is no justification for, on the one hand, calling two historical types of troops the same thing, but then using a gadget rule to make one perform 50% better than the other

4) You have offered no historical justification for the significant increase is the bloodiness of melees created by all the gadget rules letting additional figures fight

Apparently, your response is that "it's a feature, not a bug." If you've got something better, well, I'm still waiting to hear what it is. (I'm afraid just saying "sorry, dude" can't be confused with a cogent response.)
joncleaves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject:

I did not mean to imply you had called *me* a name. You call list rules "gadget rules". The name has a pejorative connotation and does not help a useful discussion in any way.

I do not threaten. I am a mod here and I will ban or ignore trolls as the particular situation warrants. The name troll is indeed a name and yes I am using it for its commonly understood internet connotation as shorthand for a poster who asks a controversial question without any more purpose than to stir up trouble. To date you have shown every characteristic of a classic internet troll and if you continue to do so, you will be ignored and if you continue after that you will be banned. This forum enjoys an excellent rep for its lack of endless internet drivel and bad behavior, so common on other game fora. And it will stay that way.

We haven't changed any FHE list to devalue it to my knowledge. If someone bought things under 7th Edition (or 6th or 5th, etc.) and he now feels FHE has "changed his list" to where he no longer wants to own those figs that really has nothing to do with us. Warrior is not 8th edition. We began with an established game engine, true. But our start point for any discussion - especially of lists - is Warrior, not 7th. With the publication of the last Warrior list book, we have ended discussions that include FHE about the relative differences between Warrior and 7th. This affects your points #1 and #4 from your last post.

The other points in your post continue to reflect your lack of desire to read the archive as all of them have been discussed ad infinitum during the development of Warrior and its lists. It is not a good use of my time to present each discussion in full yet again when the archive was designed for just that purpose. But I will summarize out of courtesy.

#2. The point system is used to balance open competitions, true. This will produce anomalies, as it does with every single game point system ever designed. We made the decision years ago - much discussed online - to keep the basic framework as it had already more playtest effort behind it than any complete revamp could possibly give us. We do intend to relook the point system at some future date, but a revamp is a multi-year process that we do not have in our schedule at the moment. Anyone is free to offer up any comprehensive point system replacement (meaning a complete system, not just a tweak to their pet issue) for our review at any time. If we feel it does the job, we will publish it.

#3. (And this is the last time I respond to a point that uses pejorative terms to refer to aspects of our game...) Our game covers 4400 years -give or take - of military history and 276 armies. Irr C MI LTS Sh and other terms like it may very well indeed refer to two troop types with widely varying chartacteristics. Our design choice was a cap on troop type descriptors over never ending variations and to instead use list rules for those few types who needed a minimum of differentiation to provide an accurate performance. This design choice was marketed and discussed with our online community at length during the time of its development and was seen by most as the best way to go. Certainly there were some, such as yourself, for whom this was not the optimal method. I will note however that none of the opponents of this method - including yourself - offered any workable alternative. Personally I believe that this is because there is none that both preserved the core engine and got the rules and lists out before 2010.

Could I design a better ancients game than Warrior from scratch? Yes, but our mission was not to design a game from scratch, it was to save the game engine for its players the best way we could. Did we have to make hard choices that some old 7th players disagreed with? Yep. No choice was going to please 100% of the people because there is no such choice.
Would I listen to concrete alternatives, especially that might be incorporated into Warrior Battles? Yes, I would.

Do I care when someone gets on here and complains of a decision made years ago without offering any proposals to "fix" his issue? No, I do not.

And no, I do not intend to repeat the history and methodology of the Roman manipular system, especially to someone who does not want to read the archive and persists in bashing our hard work.

If there is a particular list rule you are opposed to on historical grounds, please say so and cite why.
If you have an alternative point system, please by all means share.

If you want to go on calling things gadget rules and asking that I defend every historical decision made in Warrior to no purpose, I am afraid you will be disappointed.

Also, if you feel that by adding a point to every figure that benefits from a list rule things will work better for you, please do so and share the results of the games you played that way. We did it and it did not make any difference unless the game was under 800 points. And the FW lists are balanced to each other and not by specific point values. Its really a non-issue.

J

scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Qbeamus:

You either register as a real user with a real email addy, or you stop posting.

If you post again as a guest, I'll delete the posts.

If you continue trolling, I'll delete the entire thread since it's essentially a rehash of material in the archive and as Jon has pointed out, your "concerns" have been hashed and rehashed, the record of which can be found in the archives.

scott

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: