Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Warrior

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Teaching Warrior

A group of friends have asked me to put on a game to teach them how to play Warrior. I am a bit nervous about this. Ours is a complex game and the learning curve is steep.

This crowd is never going to become tourney players. They are looking for a good set of rules with which to play historically based scenarios, and perhaps campaigns. Personnaly, I think Warrior is an ideal choice for this. Does anybody have some suggestions about how I can teach them to play without having them crushed by the game's complexity? What is the best way to get folks up that slope?

scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Two approaches:

Use Fast Warrior lists. Fewer "moving parts" and a couple of things dropped make it easier for people to get their heads round the basics, or

Play Dark Age trash lists. Lots of Irr foot, line em up, move forward, roll dice, end of game. Again, potentially fewer moving parts, certainly not tons of shooting (which can slow things down and muddy the overall perspective of the game as you end up having to "do things" resulting from shooting) and easy combat factors.

scott

Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Teaching

I agree with Scott,

Usually when I'm teaching players, I give them Scary Romans against "C" or lower morale barbarian foot types. Give your opponents 33-50% more points (Romans aren't cheap with all that armor) and let yourself be butchered Very Happy . Remember to always let them know their options and for heaven's sake, let them win the first 4 or 5 games. This can be done by you taking irregular forces verses their regular guys and you constantly reminding them of all of their options. Wink It doesn't take long for them to start looking at the army list books from there.

Kelly
Harmon Ward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Teaching Warrior

I use an abbreviated chart in addition to limited troop types. If there are only two or three weapons types on the chart, and only one speed to keep in mind, things get a lot easier for the beginner.
joncleaves

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject:

I would suggest walking them through the sample game demo as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: