Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parade of the "Craptacular" - Swiss
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Parade of the "Craptacular" - Swiss

To quote:

scott holder wrote:
One thing that I'd like to see (and yes, this requires work on somebody else's part) would be for someone to take the craptacular lists (Swiss for example) and write up a "good" one. I think everybody would benefit (without giving away too many secrets) seeing some of these lists optimized. I think we have a good handle on the Alex Imperials and Japanese. Smile But take Mountain Indian, Swiss, etc.

As much as we argue about list construction, and debates the merits of such efforts, as a newer player I'd like to see some of what the veteran players could come up with, in addition to adding my own list for critique.
One question, can Lorrainer Men at Arms be in a unit with Lorrainer Knights?

So, without a lot of thought and detail, heres what I came up with.

2E CinC Reg A/B LHI 1/2 2HCT; 1/2 P @ 141
2E Reg B LC CB @ 38
2E Reg B LC CB @ 38
2E Irr B 1/2 SHK, 1/2 HC L, Sh @ 106
2E Irr B 1/2 SHK, 1/2 HC L, Sh @ 106
4E 1E Reg A, 3E Reg; 1E LHI, 3E LMI; 1E 2HCT, 3E P @ 102
4E Reg B LI CB @ 42
2E Reg B LI CB @ 26
4E Reg B LI HG @ 42

2E Irr B SHK L, Sh @ 170
2E Irr B SHK L, Sh @ 133
2E Irr B SHK L, Sh @ 133

Total, 2 Commands, 17 Scouting points, 17 Units.

Not having played Swiss, but having played Araucanians, which I'll admit is the equivalent of Apples to Orangutangs, the idea would be to use the LC and LI on one flank to hold off whats over there while the Swiss Columns Advance with the Knights between them to "Hammer and Anvil" whatever is in front.

The 4E construction, to me, seems the best for this list. 1E of Reg A LHI in front means no unease, helps where shooting is concerned, and against most opponents is respectable in hand to hand, ecspecially given that in the second bound it could hit as hard if it exchanges, assuming I am reading those Swiss rules right. 6E seems to be OK as well, but its a tradeoff between units on the tabletop and what you want that 6E unit to do. Anything larger than 6E to me seems unweildy.

As an excercise this was pretty fun, whether or not the above would work on the tabletop is open to debate, so lets start debating! Smile

Todd

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject:

If there was one thing that I think Dennis may have had correct, it was that SHK are too expensive in this army and a distraction. I would guess that a focus on the foot, but with a lot of medium-sized blocks, is the way to go. I'll try to give it a hack.
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Maybe just take the Lorrainer Ally as the Knight's, and use the remaainder for more Pike Blocks?

BTW, nice writeup again on the NICT lists.

Todd

Ewan McNay wrote:
If there was one thing that I think Dennis may have had correct, it was that SHK are too expensive in this army and a distraction. I would guess that a focus on the foot, but with a lot of medium-sized blocks, is the way to go. I'll try to give it a hack.

scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject:

This reminds me of something "back in the day" when we played TOG. Jake usta purchase allies with his Hussites. We would then promptlly ignore the wagon laagers and leisurely spend out time beating up on 6-800 points of stuff with 1600.

The Swiss knights could fall into that same trap.

That being said, this list takes a "Roman" approach with the Swiss with the swarms of little units. An interesting approach but one that will need real skill to make work. Then the Swiss knights could serve a very useful function but this is Warrior at it's most exacting since one mistake in terms of movement could absolutely kill you.

Most of us need armies that are much more forgiving.

Since we're pounding on Dennis' Swiss list, assume it remains the way it is. Another approach could be to modify it's deployment and terrain placement in such a way as to maximize the chance for the killer infantry blocks to contact things. For some players (like me), that might be easier than trying to master the art of running all those leeetle units.

scott

Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Scott,

What would you select as Terrain choices then?

Something that lets you restrict the frontage your fighting on?

Todd

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Swiss

If you ran any knights, you would want to run them as a reserve, not a leading attack wing.

As such, they could certainly be 1/2 HC. For some purposes, entirely HC are sufficient (flank charges that will not then be opposed, or many frontal charges against foot disordered by Swiss foot.)

As for the Swiss foot...you want two types of units, basically. Those designed to receive enemy mounted at a halt (in which case they don't need to have 3 or 4 ranks of pike) and those designed to get full combat effect from their charge against enemy infantry (in which case they need 4 ranks of pike.) So, use a mix of 3 element units and 6 element units.

I say six element units so that you end up with 4 ranks of pike and 2 ranks of 2HCT. Recall the fact that two ranks of steady 2HCT (after an expansion, say) can fight (2nd rank at half figures.)

The LI and LC should be in a bunch of small units. Some of them force march so you don't anywhere get pinned by enemy force marched lights. Generally, your small units will counter back or to the side to avoide charges and shooting. One of their important functions is to draw shooting away from your shieldless pike blocks until your pike can get off a charge. This means you need a bunch of these little skirmisher units, something that is not what we see on many other armies.

Let's say you decided to use no SHK or HC (which may or may not be good, depends on your matchups and would require playtesting.) Your list given my statements above would look like:
CinC separate on staff element
Ally separate on staff element
5 three element units of Swiss LHI/LMI/LMI P/P/2HCT (front rank Reg A)
4 six element units of Swiss LHI/LMI/LMI/LMI/LHI/LMI Px4/2HCTx2 (the two LHI elements, one pike, one 2HCT, are Reg A)
1 six element unit of Swiss LHI/LMIx5 Px4/2HCTx2 (LHI P is Reg A)
2 units of two elements Reg B LC CB
10 units of two elements Reg B LI CB
22 units, 2 bodies, 2 commands, 22 scouting

If you need to receive charges, you do so with the 3 element Swiss foot units. You initiate charges with the 6 element units. "Extra" 3 element units can do follow up or flank charges on engaged enemy. You have 10 combat capable units which is in excess of many armies. What you don't have is much time, given your small light units and vulnerability to shooting. Constrain the frontage heavily and engage quickly.
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Frank's list would be hairy to run, not for the squeemish. But if you could master all that foot movement, you'd be a real threat.

Terrain: if you go with the lotsa units approach, carving down the table with terrain could be counterproductive. Of course you could go with the always reliable 1 major water and 3 woods, using the woods to either cut down just enough of the table so you have enough room to move but not so much that you're flanks are swarming, or dump the woods on the opponents side of the table in an attempt to force his strike units more forward faster or into one place where you can either try to hit them or block them off.

I'm with Frank in that if you use any mounted, they've got to be your support troops. Hit and pin with the foot, if you can, follow up with the mounted.

scott

Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiss

Frank Gilson wrote:

If you need to receive charges, you do so with the 3 element Swiss foot units. You initiate charges with the 6 element units. "Extra" 3 element units can do follow up or flank charges on engaged enemy. You have 10 combat capable units which is in excess of many armies. What you don't have is much time, given your small light units and vulnerability to shooting. Constrain the frontage heavily and engage quickly.

The noob in me says this is counterproductive. Three element units aren't as liable to last as long receiving a charge as a 6E unit is, the smaller unit means more CPF. You want to pin with the 6E units and use the smaller units to charge through gaps, and potentially catch other opponents at a halt...

What am I missing in the equation here? Something to do with the fact they are P I think...

Can you expand on this Frank?

Thanks,
Todd

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiss

Todd Schneider wrote:

The noob in me says this is counterproductive. Three element units aren't as liable to last as long receiving a charge as a 6E unit is, the smaller unit means more CPF. You want to pin with the 6E units and use the smaller units to charge through gaps, and potentially catch other opponents at a halt...

What am I missing in the equation here? Something to do with the fact they are P I think...

These smaller units do just fine against mounted charges where shooting is not involved. Take a near worst case scenario: frontal charge by impetuous SHK who roll up 1.

The SHK do 5@6=25, for 2 CPF.
The Swiss do 8@3=20, for 3 CPF.

Yes, the knights win, and get to expand and follow up. So what? They are now tired and disordered, following up against steady 2HCT who are not tired. The next bound looks like this:

The SHK do 6@1=9. Not a CPF.
The Swiss do 4@2 + 4@1 = 14.

The knights recoil, and must now rally tired and disordered.

All of this assumes:
    * the knights actually win at contact (which requires rolling better than the Swiss)
    * no Swiss units are available to charge into an overlapping element of the knights
    * the Swiss don't roll up 1 on the second bound and simply rout the knights on their own

So, yeah. Those small units do just fine against mounted.

-Mark Stone
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: small units, etc.

Note that I said the small 3 element units perform a dual purpose...receiving a mounted charge, or attacking flanks and overlaps.

They are NOT for long term combat survival, not for charging enemy foot who are also charging. That's the role of the six element units.

Mark works out some detail that is applicable.

As far as terrain, which Scott brings up, you have a couple of choices...
1) Minor Water Feature, Marsh, Marsh, Hill
or
2) Hill, Hill, Hill, Hill

#1 is a general case where you have to cut the frontage down as much as possible because your opponent can and will exploit as much frontage as possible and isn't Mongols (who could remove some of your terrain features.)

#2 is a way to cut down on enemy shooting for your Swiss foot at the tops of hills, you make them all steep or half-steep (facing enemy) hills for the bad terrain benefit. This is for use against enemies where you don't really need to minimize the frontage you fight on, and against Mongols who will remove two of your features.
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Swiss

Mark Stone wrote:

These smaller units do just fine against mounted charges where shooting is not involved. Take a near worst case scenario: frontal charge by impetuous SHK who roll up 1.

The SHK do 5@6=25, for 2 CPF.
The Swiss do 8@3=20, for 3 CPF.

Yes, the knights win, and get to expand and follow up. So what? They are now tired and disordered, following up against steady 2HCT who are not tired. The next bound looks like this:

The SHK do 6@1=9. Not a CPF.
The Swiss do 4@2 + 4@1 = 14.

The knights recoil, and must now rally tired and disordered.

Actually, because the Swiss are Pike armed, wouldn't the block just disorder in place without recoiling? And because they disorder in place, the Knight don't get a follow up, but are worse in the ensuing combat.
I can't find my copy of Medieval Warrior, so am going from shoddy memory here, but the Swiss only get to exchange if they recoil, don't they? Am I not rembering their rules correctly?

Thanks for the replies,
Todd

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Don't forget the required HG units - could be LI like the CB.

Todd K

Swiss are very interesting and I believe should be used offensively and aggressively - not defensively as many have used them.

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Todd S: you're right, in my example the Swiss should not recoil, making it even worse for the knights.

More general comments:

The big vulnerability for the Swiss is enemy shooting. To mitigate that you'd like to have some quality light troops of your own, preferably shielded LI and/or shielded LC with a missile weapon. In fact no list on which the Swiss make an appearance has shielded LI in any quantity. Only one list has any significant number of LC (Italian Condotta).

So my inclination has always been to play the Swiss on some other list than Swiss, and Italian Condotta strikes me as the best choice.

Another problem that leads to much the same conclusion: you need some mounted reserves in your army to force your opponent to stand and fight. Specifically, loose order foot who would simply evade away from Swiss absent any mounted on the Swiss side can be made to stand and fight, or at least make a successful counter roll, if you have a mounted threat in the vicinity. This works because mounted always approach after foot, and because mounted have a longer tactical move than foot.

Getting a comforable configuration of mounted on the Swiss list itself is difficult, however. You get more flexibility and better options on lists other than Swiss.

So the main options, as I see it:
    * Play the Swiss list itself, definitely take some SHK/HC, take enough LI to split fire and soak off shooting, and take a mix of 3 stand and 6 stand pike/halberd blocks. Given the unhappy morale classes of your HC, the need to take ally generals, and the fact that your LI is shieldless, this is not an optimal way to play the Swiss.
    * Play Early Burgundians with a Swiss command, and set up the Swiss as a reserve behind a wall of shooting (big blocks of shielded CB/LB, some with stakes). No LC in this approach, and no real LI. You're also still stuck with at least one C class cav unit. And you necessarily operate from a defensive position. On the plus side, you can definitely protect the Swiss from shooting, and you don't have to worry about covering enough frontage.
    * Play one of the German lists with a Swiss command, and set up the Swiss as a reserve behind a wall of cheap but durable close order foot. This is not a bad approach, it's just slow and ponderous. Feels a bit like the Medieval equivalent of Alexandrian Macedonian (not Alexandrian Imperial).
    * Play Italian Condotta, late period Venetians in Italy. You get some LC (some crossbow guys and some Turks), and you get some LI that though shieldless, is at least regular. You get good quality knights, and some nice loose order foot (LHI CB,2HCT). All of this makes a pretty good supporting cast for your Swiss command. Problems are: you still don't hold a huge amount of frontage, and your light troops can't be really aggressive, as the LC doesn't fight in a rank and a half, and the LI lacks shields.

Of all those choices I like the Italian Condotta option best, but this is very much dependent on personal playing style. Your mileage may vary.

-Mark Stone
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Mark Stone wrote:
Todd S: you're right, in my example the Swiss should not recoil, making it even worse for the knights.

[/quote]

Note to self: no posting before morning coffee.

Todd S: Of course the Swiss recoil. They are foot fighting mounted. This is one of the most overlooked rules -- so overlooked I needed caffeine to remind me of its existence.

Pikes only get to disorder in place if their opponents are entirely foot, or any opposing mounted broke or broke off. Once again, note that the mounted don't even have to beat the pikes, they just have to not break or break off, and be part of an overall winning combat against the pikes.

-Mark Stone
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Scott
Quote:
Since we're pounding on Dennis' Swiss list, assume it remains the way it is. Another approach could be to modify it's deployment and terrain placement in such a way as to maximize the chance for the killer infantry blocks to contact things. For some players (like me), that might be easier than trying to master the art of running all those leeetle units.

Dennis kinda tried to do something like this, just badly: he took max size woods, aiming to fight with the huge pike blocks in the spaces between them. This was hindered by my getting a road down first (so that the woods ended up on the midline rather than in his deployment area) and by his being outscouted; but would not have worked in any case, as relying on your opponent to come to you and fight pikes on your terms is, ah, silly. And when you have no troops that can fight in woods, including the pikes, things get worse.

I disagree with Mark (and maybe Frank) on mounted: yes, it theoretically gives you an advantage in forcing folks to stand and fight, but more likely the stuff that the knights are chasing down will be LI or LC anyway. More to the point: unless you get the pikes into contact, you're losing, and that probably means you start as far forward as possible (which is an srgument for taking the otherwise pointless Swiss LC) and never stop moving forward; if the stuff you're chasing is opposing skirmishing loose foot, eventually you will catch it. Sure, it would be helpful to have knights to help, I just don't think you can afford the cost.

p.s. OK, next week I'll try to work on a Viking list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: