Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Samurai Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Samurai Advice

A few years back I had a few Essex Samurai painted by a service. They are simply outrageously gorgeous and made the rest of my Sammy's look like crap. For years I have been meaning to send the rest to the same guy to be re-done to the same eye-popping standard so that I could have at least one showpiece army to show off. Well, I came into a little extra cash, and the figs are on their way. I am committed.

Having made this step, are the Samurai workable on the table? If so, how? Here's my stab at a list;

CiC 2E IB EHK/HK, LB, 1/2 2HCT, PA

Sub 2E armed as CiC

Samurai cav; 2E, as CiC; 2 units

Samurai/Ashigaru 4E IB LEHI, 2HCW, LB; 4E IB LMI 1HCW,LB;(1E each unit upgraded to IA) ;6 units

Ashigaru Scouts 6E IC LI, LB

The plan; roll for a MWF and 3 brush to narrow the table a bit; pick a spot on the enemy I can beat and charge home as quick as possible, shooting as I go. Consider FM the entire army.

Anybody got a better idea? this does not look like a serious tourney army to me, altho facing Knights might be fun. I just want to get it onto the table and have a prayer.

scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Have you looked at the various Samurai lists in the list lore section? Plenty points of departure there along with commentary.

scott

AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Scott. Forgot to check there first <blush>. Those ought to help.
Tim Grimmett
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject:

FWIW--

I find myself playing Samurai a lot. The following is based on 15+ tournament games.

Dump the LI; you are outscouted anyway and the opposition, looking across the board at things to kill, will have something to hunt it down with.

Your Samurai/Ashigaru units are exactly the way I buy them now.

I find the 2E mounted to be too small; up them to 4E each and then make a call whether one, or both should be a SUB.

MWF and Marsh/brush to close down the board. Marsh is better than brush in that mounted are totally hosed in it and marsh has no impact on shooting.

Knights and Romans are a problem. Otherwise this army is very competitive.

Games are over rather quickly and your brain cells remain fresh; there are very few BIG decisions to make with these guys.

martin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: samurai

give the samurai foot units 2hct in the front rank. Its always worth the extra poin. I haven't used the army but have played against it a lot

Martin
Tim Grimmett
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Martin is right; I overlooked that you had not upgraded to 2HCT--this is a must.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: