Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catalan Company
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject:

First, what Mark said. Frank......... Embarassed

Second, am I the only person who is fine with Irr B LC JLS, Sh? Sure, they're not Mongols. But, I'll take em up against the typical LC one normally sees any day. Move em to 80p, take the shot, take the waver test (again, if I roll 1s, I deserve to lose the game), then start charging.

scott

jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: taking wavers

Hi,

I would hold out my battered wrist from where the great oracle has been slapping me for voluntarily taking wavers but on the forum you can't see the bruising Smile. Your plan is to risk a 1/6 disaster so you can have a less than 1/3 chance of catching the bow armed LC?

Let's do a few numbers
5/6 to pass
2/6 to roll up and add distance
4/6 for the enemy cav not to add
4/6 to catch an enemy LC breaking off.

1/6 your own disaster

160/1296 to break the other unit, which should be decisively cheaper
That's about 12.3%, or 1/8 to break the other unit.

The rest of the time, your tired LC is rallying in front of the enemy LC B which spent 1 or 2 shooting fatigues.
AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, I agree with Jamie. This is only a decent bet if you can charge from 40 paces away. I like this move with regulars, who can move up to 40 paces and go into skirmish, but irregs are a bit dicier. OTOH if you can split up the shooting, it's better, and if you can charge from 40 paces away better still. Not sure I'd go impetuous, though.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: ;)

My lists are all in figures, not elements...because I'm old and tired.

Anyway, I agree that the Irr B LC JLS,Sh are not useless, just not worth their full point cost in most situations. I also agree that they are NOT for attacking enemy bow armed LC.

They're for attacking relatively unsupported enemy LI, alongside some of your troops that can draw a bit of shooting away from them should there be much.

So, reserve your Irr B LC JLS,Sh behind your line and march it towards said unsupported enemy LI, wherever it may be (even all the way across the table from your setup.) Move up to 40p and charge. Take the waver if you have to. You get a free charge under Attack orders because you are not bow armed.

Frank
wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject:

I agree with the last comment. These guys are still LC and can generally still perform a role in this list.

With an army full of Moogs and Knights, being overly concerned with your light cav is going prevent from playing to the armies strengths. I.E hitting a point in the line with these strike troops. If I were to use this army I would be very happy for an opponant to concentrate on taking down the irregular javlin armed light cav. Very Happy

Paul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: