Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Point Con 2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Point Con 2007

I'm sure that Ewan will provide the results of the Con that took place at West Point, but I have already posted some of the pictures in the Album section (Tournaments).

Sleep is for the weak (or those who don't have young children)

Todd

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Jeez, Todd.

[And I have a 4 year-old; guess I must just be weak Smile. On the other hand, we took our cadet cousin out for real food after the tournament, so didn't get back until some time this morning..]

We had 9 (which was lower than expected - several folks couldn't make it at the last minute, and others didn't show - especially missed were the mysterious Dwayne and friends from this forum Smile ) Warrior folks for a glorious day of sunshine at West Point. Mini format, 1200 points on 4x4 tables in 15mm. A good range of armies, almost none of which are considered 'killer' types, and universally good games. Thanks to all for coming out.

First place won a 25mm-scale working trebuchet that I donated; as you'll see, this was Todd, and he should avoid letting his children loose with ball-bearings Smile.

Results, using usual scoring system; the two scores are raw/adjusted:

Todd Kaeser Toltec, 14/23.7
Ewan McNay Hun* 10/19
Dan Woyke Middle Assyrian 10/14.8
Jacob Kovel Early Polish 9/14.2
Bill Low Neo Assyrian 8/13.8
Ed Kollmer Later Hoplite* 6/9
Chris Schulitz Later Hungarian 4/8.2
Jim Bisigani First Crusader 4/7
Dave Markowitz Early Burgundian** 2/3.8

* played only 2 games
** played only one game

This may be the only time that Dave M gets to be on the very bottom of a results chart Twisted Evil

Congrats to Todd, thanks again to all. We'll have a further gathering Chez Low in May, possibly, and one in June for the H'Con run-up that usually gets excellent attendance.

For those interested, Todd's Toltecs ran over Hungarians and Polish - two knight armies - as well as Bill's Assyrians. I'm very glad that there was not a further round for him to shoot my Huns into oblivion Smile.

I also have some pics, and will try to post them shortly.
edward kollmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Pointcon

Hi
Thanks again to Ewan for putting it on. I Just wish I could have stayed the last round, but duty calls. I would have liked to face Chris. I had two great games. 1st round against Dan. Next time I will put more points into my flank marches. Assyrians seemed to be every where. I was lucky enough to have Ewan next to my table and helped me with my questions.
My 2nd round was equally great. Jim and I slugged it out and he was good enough to be patient with me. Unfortunatedly, his failed counter at the end really hurt. Jim was right I really need to get more games in.I realized that my last game was last Pointcon.

Ed (Leonidas)Kollmer
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject:

AAR prompted by Tom in the calling-out thread. A couple of rules Qs came up and I'll post _those_ separately also.

Quick battle summary: against Dan's Early Assyrians, killed off most of the IrrD B LI early - although one unit passed both counter and waver, then the LC rolled short, to escape! - then fell back as the Assyrians tried to encircle and compress evading LC. An LMI JLS, Sh unit on the right popped out of a wood within 320p of a Hun HC unit and failed the counter to get back in; on the left, the LC line was getting folded in somewhat when the Hun flank march came on and took out the camp. The big deal, though, was that an Assyrian HC unit on my left charged off some LC but then was able to be hit by impetuous HC from 140p; good for the HC, but made a lot better when they rolled +4 to go off the chart. All the Assyrians passed their wavers - until we realised that it was also a sub-general, and *everyone* failed that waver to send the army home.

Against the Neo-Assyrians - I guess the Huns came back a few hundred years later to check why the tributes had stopped? - I tried the same flank march trick, across a major water feature. Rolled a 5 bound 2 - woohoo! - and Bill says 'Huns get boats? Really?' to which I responded something cogent like 'Huh?' It had never occurred to me to check. The answer, of course, is no; those units decided to turn up late on the baseline instead. Bang goes plan A, and I didn't really have a plan B for taking on a line of foot with JLS, D, Sh backed by B; all of my HC were massed on the left to follow-up the flank march [a steep hill in Bill's deployment area had done the job of splitting his army effectively] and I would not have time to extract and redeploy them. Hmm. Well, nothing for it but to go in, eventually. First attempt, against a 4E HI unit, worked OK initially, and the follow-up reached an adjacent MC unit at the halt (rules Q #1), but the MC rolled up to avoid routing and the other overlapping HC element got hit by some HCh, eventually pushing the HC to exhaustion. However, meanwhile, the centre of the Assyrians had been held by some LI B from the steep hill, and they were gradually being pushed away, exposing an LMI unit on the centre side of the foot-line which decided to counter backward. That left an 8E MI unit sitting no longer with any flank shooting support; it was not going to get better, so in went the other 2 HC units including the CinC. Bill rolled +2 in support against one of them - oops! - but thankfully the CinC completed an excellent day's melee performance by rolling +3 which - combined with the support shot from the HC - did _exactly_ 96 casualties to the 32-man unit. And Bill was kind enough to roll many failures on the waver checks, putting that command into retreat - as it included the HI and MC which were sitting disordered, those units would break next turn on contact when charged, so the one breakthrough proved to be enough. Better to be lucky than good.

The Hun LC line proved more resilient than I had expected here, although the short range of D did not help the Assyrians; I could not dent them, generally, but nor could they catch or significantly hurt me. And the Huns are very fun (and simple!) to play!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: