Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Siculo-Norman advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MilesGregarius
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Siculo-Norman advice

I've had the rules for some time, but it looks like I'm finally going to have the time and money to paint up an army. Recently, I've become enamoured of Roger II's Sicilian Kingdom , so I'm going to give FW 8 a try. Before doing so, I figured I'd consult the collective brain trust.

I read in a previous thread that HYWE have a fairly easy learning curve for newbies like myself. With the Muslim ally option, this list looks like it could be something of a poor man's HYWE.

So version 1.0 looks something like this:

1x C-in-C w/ PA 2E Reg A EHK/HK L, Sh 208 pts
    6x Milites 2E Irr B HK L, Sh 546 pts
    1x Sicilian Muslim AG w/ P 2E Irr B HC L, Sh 125 pts
    2x Sicilian Muslim Light Cav 2E Reg C LC JLS, Sh 84 pts
    2x Sicilian Muslim Spearmen 6E Rec C MI LTS, Sh 212 pts
    3x Sicilian Muslim Bowmen 6E Rec C LMI B, Sh 318 pts
    4x Sicilian Muslim Javelinmen 2E Reg C LI JLS, Sh 104 pts

Total points: 1597 19 units Scouting: 18

My first question is how best to configure the Muslim foot. Initially I thought to use the requisite spearman as two close order LTS bodies. But on further consideration, I've been leaning towards taking the minimum spearmen and maxing out the bowmen. This would both increase the missle firepower and increase the speed of the army by eliminating all the close foot.

Which lead to version 1.1:

1x Sicilian Muslim Spearmen 4E Rec C LMI JLS, Sh 74 pts
    4x Sicilian Muslim Bowmen 6E Rec C LMI B, Sh 424 pts
    2x Sicilian Muslim Javelinmen 4E Reg C LI JLS, Sh 84 pts
    2x Sicilian Muslim Javelinmen 2E Reg C LI JLS, Sh 52 pts

Total points: 1597 19 units Scouting: 20

Inexperienced as I am, I don't know how either configuration would play out, though in both cases I assume I should deploy with the Muslim command in front and the Normans poised to pounce on units stuck in with the LTS/shot up by the B.

Secondly, I read the Skirmish Doctrine some time ago (need to go back and reread it), but I'm still not sure the proper number/balance of lights.

My third question is: are the Reg C SHC worth the points? If they are, I'm not sure where to take the points from in either of the above configurations.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited by MilesGregarius on Fri May 11, 2007 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Well, my vote would be 1.1 is a big improvement over 1.0

I don't know about "poor man's" HYWE, this list I think is a once-upon-a-time "killer list" because back in the day it was one of those few lists where you got all three of (a) decent shock mounted, (b) reg loose long-range missile and (c) light troops both foot and mounted.

So you have essentially done that in your v 1.1, although perhaps the pumdits will have some details to pick on for you and help you tweak it still further.

FWIW after playing a lot of SHK/LB armies I find that (a) Reg LMI B are a lot of times better than Reg LMI LB, except if your enemy can take advantage of the shorter eff range and (b) HK can often do the jub as well as SHK - that last, though is not entirely turning out to be tha case however, and HC is a noticeable step down from HK I think.

But HYWE has nothing like your good mix of light troops, and indeed I would say that is the bane of playing HYWE although you just have to tough it. The only thing you might look at, and I do not have the list in front of me, is getting some of the lights with bows instead of JLS as having some of both, mounted and foot, is about the best you can do.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Siculo-Norman is the new Sicilian Hohenstaufen (sp?)

The 1.1 version is how I would run the army. You are a skirmish army who can hold a fair amount of table space and group your knights to hit in a specific area. As a knight army you don't fear elephants due to the amount of bow fire you are capable of putting out. Only issue is on a small table or in 25mm vs. Macedonians.

The SHC are too slow and too costly. The MI LTS guys slog too slowly for what you want to accomplish and are a target for others. They will only get to fight against what they don't want to.

I'd love to see a little more LC, but that is my personal preference.

Todd K

Terry Dix
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Siculo-Norman advice

MilesGregarius wrote:
I've had the rules for some time, but it looks like I'm finally going to have the time and money to paint up an army. Recently, I've become enamoured of Roger II's Sicilian Kingdom , so I'm going to give FW 8 a try. Before doing so, I figured I'd consult the collective brain trust.

I read in a previous thread that HYWE have a fairly easy learning curve for newbies like myself. With the Muslim ally option, this list looks like it could be something of a poor man's HYWE.

So version 1.0 looks something like this:

2x Sicilian Muslim Spearmen 6E Rec C MI LTS, Sh 212 pts
    3x Sicilian Muslim Bowmen 6E Rec C LMI B, Sh 318 pts
    4x Sicilian Muslim Javelinmen 2E Reg C LI JLS, Sh 104 pts

Total points: 1597 19 units Scouting: 18

My first question is how best to configure the Muslim foot. Initially I thought to use the requisite spearman as two close order LTS bodies. But on further consideration, I've been leaning towards taking the minimum spearmen and maxing out the bowmen. This would both increase the missle firepower and increase the speed of the army by eliminating all the close foot.

Which lead to version 1.1:

1x Sicilian Muslim Spearmen 4E Rec C LMI JLS, Sh 74 pts
    4x Sicilian Muslim Bowmen 6E Rec C LMI B, Sh 424 pts
    2x Sicilian Muslim Javelinmen 4E Reg C LI JLS, Sh 84 pts
    2x Sicilian Muslim Javelinmen 2E Reg C LI JLS, Sh 52 pts

Total points: 1597 19 units Scouting: 20

Inexperienced as I am, I don't know how either configuration would play out, though in both cases I assume I should deploy with the Muslim command in front and the Normans poised to pounce on units stuck in with the LTS/shot up by the B.

Secondly, I read the Skirmish Doctrine some time ago (need to go back and reread it), but I'm still not sure the proper number/balance of lights.

My third question is: are the Reg C SHC worth the points? If they are, I'm not sure where to take the points from in either of the above configurations.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Working off of 1.1 I would cut run the LI in 2 6e blocks saving 20 pts. This is a screen, and needs to have some bulk to absorb casualties a 2E block is asking to get shot to crap. Even at the -1 12 figures will force a withdrawl. Take the LC as IrrC with B in a 6E unit for 73 pts. I would also run the Bowman in 3 8E blocks again for damage containment these are not supposed to be in melee they are to shooting blocks, so they have to survive shooting aswell. Looking at it I have saved you 41 pts. I am not clear as to why the CiC cost more to upgrade than a sub/ ally gen so I think you can save some points there that is something for scott to answer. If you want some more scouting points you could buy more LC with it. I will put together a full later today or tomorrow If I can make some time
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Other Armies that are similar

Hi,

I just wanted to add that I have been looking at this list fairly hard as a friend of mine who is new to the game is looking at fleshing out various lists that are similar. You might consider the early version of list 18 the hoho list as they don't have to pay for the muslim ally.

Another close version is the Fatimid Egyptians who get a substantial Crusader Ally and loads of Sudanese along with some very nice support troops including some decent Li JLS,sh who can push your advance along nicely. Another thing that I like about the Fatimids is the fact that you can buy camels for 4 points per element for your LTS armed MI. This more than puts the odds on your favor against SHK or SHC as it will disorder those types putting them at a -3 and -4 from respectively. The Fatimids are definately worth looking into as they have very decent regular foot and great Cav/knights.

Just a couple of things for you to consider. . . Twisted Evil

Kelly Wilkinson
MilesGregarius
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Siculo-Norman advice

Thanks all for the advice thus far. As I thought, the all loose order, bow heavy list is the way to go.

John Murphy wrote:
I don't know about "poor man's" HYWE,...

I merely meant that HK/B doesn't scream "killer army" quite the way that SHK/LB does. I do like the quality lights, though.

Todd Kaeser wrote:
The SHC are too slow and too costly. The MI LTS guys slog too slowly for what you want to accomplish and are a target for others. They will only get to fight against what they don't want to.

I figured the SHC were to expensive, and the more I looked at it, the more the close order foot seemed to simply impede the army's maneuverability.

@Terry Dix

Following your train of thought, would it be worth it to save an additional 8 points by leaving the C-in-C as HK? This would allow the retention of one 2E JLS LC and upgrading the 6E B LC to regular.

@Kelly Wilkinson

Due to my interest in the whole d'Hauteville clan, I never really considered Hohos, but seeing that that list precludes having B class knights with Reg Muslim foot sealed the deal against them.

I actually just looked at the Fatimids last night. Beyond my historical preference for the Sicilians, the Fatimid list in either late or early configuration forces you to take a whole gaggle of different cavalry types. Siculo-Norman, with just a half dozen or so troop types in all, seems elegantly simple which is a big plus for a newbie like myself.
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Hoho's and Fatimids

Quote:
Milesgregarious wrote:Due to my interest in the whole d'Hauteville clan, I never really considered Hohos, but seeing that that list precludes having B class knights with Reg Muslim foot sealed the deal against them.

Miles, you couldn't be more wrong. Look at the early version of the Hoho list again. You certainly do get Irr B Knights. It's in the later list where you get only a few elements of Irr B's, the one where the war of the Sicillian Vespers is happening. Not having to take that expensive Muslim Ally saves points for more troops that can make a difference. I don't know about you, but I like having more units. . .

As for the Fatimids, the mixed bag of cav you get are all very valuable support troops for foot and Knight units as good paybackers when bad guys stick to your foot units. This list has potential. In fact, this my be one of the better combined arms army available with plenty of both regular and irregular options that mirror the troop types in a Siculo Norman/Hohenstauffen list. Sadly, Saladin kills off most of his Sudanese because they become unreliable and the Ayubid list gets less of these awesome support troops. . .
MilesGregarius
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hoho's and Fatimids

Kelly Wilkinson wrote:
Miles, you couldn't be more wrong. Look at the early version of the Hoho list again. You certainly do get Irr B Knights. It's in the later list where you get only a few elements of Irr B's, the one where the war of the Sicillian Vespers is happening. Not having to take that expensive Muslim Ally saves points for more troops that can make a difference. I don't know about you, but I like having more units. . .

As for the Fatimids, the mixed bag of cav you get are all very valuable support troops for foot and Knight units as good paybackers when bad guys stick to your foot units. This list has potential. In fact, this my be one of the better combined arms army available with plenty of both regular and irregular options that mirror the troop types in a Siculo Norman/Hohenstauffen list. Sadly, Saladin kills off most of his Sudanese because they become unreliable and the Ayubid list gets less of these awesome support troops. . .

Just checked the errata; it makes early Hohos much more appealing, but I still find the d'Hautevilles - Bohemond, Robert Guiscard, Roger II - far more compelling than Frederick II

The Fatimid look interesting - particularly the Sudani foot, but until I get a better grasp of the game mechanics, I'd rather not have to deal with a grab bag of Reg and Irr, both mounted and foot.
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Other Armies that are similar

I agree with you sticking with one army list at least for a while. I'm just saying that those two are similar to the playing style and make up of the list you are working with now and add a certain variety that spices up things a bit. The deal about the hoho early list is that they don't have to pay 97 points for that expensive HC L Sh Ally element. Instead, you could purchase another unit of knights, bowmen, Javs, etc. . . And so what if the Knights are German, You can call them Siculo-Itallians (whose ancestors are Normans)!

KW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: