Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Irr LC JLS,Sh without 1.5-rank list rule

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Irr LC JLS,Sh without 1.5-rank list rule

deleted

Last edited by John Murphy on Sun May 27, 2007 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Irr LC JLS,Sh without 1.5-rank list rule

John Murphy wrote:
There are three separate cases which I am looking at for armies with this troop type (IrrC LC JLS,Sh without 1.5-rank list rule). Irish, Lithuanians and Jinetes (ignoring any list issues for the time being).

I am not thinking of them as the do-it-all troops that the Moldavian Viteji are (with the 1.5-rank rule) but I see some good ways in which they might be employed.... If there is any thought-provoking tactical insight anyone would share here, beyond simple anecdotal statement, it would be a big help to me and perhaps to someone else.

OK, so the advantages are that you can skirmish shielded, and you can more easily charge impetuously. Unfortunately, I don't think either of these makes up for the negatives of this troop type.

The impetuous charge in LC vs. LC combat is actually not that critical. To make a charge at LC meaningful, you have to get close enough to have a chance of catching evaders. To get close enough to have that chance, you have to survive missile fire. So what matters more is who can avoid taking 2 CPF in prep. Accomplish that, and you're likely facing an opponent who did take 2 CPF and has opted to recall. Now it matters a lot less if you are impetuous.

Keep in mind also that pursuing LC who originally charged impetuously must maintain pursuit, whereas non-impetuous pursuers have normal charge response options (like evading). So again, being impetuous LC is just not that helpful.

Yes, you can skirmish shielded. Yes, this helps. But it is a LOT harder to get irregs into skirmish, really diminishing this value. And being JLS skirmishers your options are much more limited. You cannot, for example, move backwards in a counter (since you have to stay in shooting range).

I think there are some interesting things you can do with regular JLS,Sh LC, but I'd go with a different list to exploit that: either Granadine, where they can all be Reg B, or Later Carthaginian Italian Campaign, where the Numidians can be upgraded to Reg and get the nifty list rule about charging in the brush.

If you play Irr LC, you should be thinking one of two strategies: armed with B only, to be a cheap form of mounted shooters, or fully army with JLS,B,Sh and fighting in a rank and a half, to be a real combat threat.

-Mark Stone
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject:

deleted

Last edited by John Murphy on Sun May 27, 2007 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Terry Dix
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject:

You can use them to screen your B armed cav so as to get a shot off in the second round of the shooting battle not tired or disordered. As Mark stated they are not anything you want to buy above the mins.
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Irreg LC JLS Sh and their uses

Hi,

I like the Anglo-Irish (Wikipedia refers to this as Hiberno-Norman, which sounds much better to me) list and usually buy the maximum of eight elements of the dull Irish LC. I use it just to occupy table space in two 4 element units and don't expect it to do much more than that.

Most other LC will either have better ranged missile weapons, or regular and more maneuverable, or fight rank and a half due a list rule. So rather than having them fight and get beaten, use them to occupy and delay as much as possible.

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: