Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scutarii and Celtiberians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Garlic
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Scutarii and Celtiberians

Greetings,

Looking at the multiple lists that have Scutarii and Celtiberians available. Just a tactical (unit organization) question. There are several ways to organize them; I am considering options below. What ways have others used them that seemed most effective?

4E Scutarii Reg C LMI HTW, JLS, Sh
2E Celtiberians Irr B LMI HTW, Sh

I would use the regular scutarii as 'main line' units while small irregular celtiberians would be used in between for flanking efforts as well as impetuous charges to disrupt enemy momentum.

Thoughts?

John Garlic
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: unit sizes for barbarian foot

You have part of the concept correct...line units of lower morale barbarian foot (in this case Spanish) with reserve units of higher morale.

However, the line unit size is wrong. 4E is way too small for irregular loose foot units (and arguably too small for most irr close.) They are ultra vulnerable to shooting CPF and hth CPF in that small size.

Also, any line unit of Irr loose foot that can have an element of 'A' morale in the front rank likely should, which is generally true of Spanish.

So, try 8, 10, or 12 element line units of spanish foot with one element of 'A' morale in the front rank, rest C morale.

In the gaps, back from the line, you have your 2E Irr B units of Celtiberians. You didn't give them JLS in addition to HTW, but you need to.

I currently think all Spanish foot should always be double armed. There's a possibility that barbarian foot playtest rules could settle out to something that changes my mind, but unlikely.

The purpose of the 2E Celtiberian units is not to operate in any lead roll, but to strike stationary targets, and flanks if they can get them, after the main line has engaged.

Frank
John Garlic
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Frank,

Actually I was looking at making the scutarii double armed regulars which would give me more figures fighting and more staying power. That is why I had the 4E unit.

Unless I misread the rules on celtiberians, they can't be double armed. HTW armed scutarii can be double-armed, but not celtiberians. The line for adding javelin for scutarii comes at end of list after scutarii would have been reclassified as celtiberians. So I assume it doesn't apply to them.

John
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: check list fixes

Lists have some updates which, in general, should have all Spanish foot (including Celtiberians) capable of double arming, across all lists.

Of course, this doesn't seem to have made it to the Spanish list itself Wink. I'm sure that Scott would confirm that Celtiberians can be double armed.

Using regular Spanish foot units is certainly interesting, although I would organize them into 6E units, not 4E.

6E regular foot units have many more maneuver options than 4E, as well as better shooting and hth survivability.

Each pair of 6E Reg C LMI HTW,JLS,Sh and 2E Irr B LMI HTW,JLS,Sh is 185 pts, which is pretty good for two effective units.

Of course, even on Tartessian Spanish, it looks like you will still have some Irr C.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: