Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sub Roman List
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sktlnd4evr
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Sub Roman List

Hi All,
I am seriously considering building a SUb Roman army. I am wondering what everyone's opinion is of this force. Strengths? Weaknesses?

Thanks
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject:

When DAW first came out one of the armies I had on hand was Patrician Romans so I tried to envision how I could use them as Sub-Romans by morphing the Franks into Saxons, the Ostrogoths into Nobles, the Ex-Huns serving under Roman officers into scouts, the Auxilia into Militia.

I was satisfied it could be playable at the time, but the Saxons as close order foot being the real shock force never seems like it would easy to play. And that was before so many other armies came along which are so much easier.

Now I think this would be very difficult to take to say Lancaster and finish near the top with - of course that is something I have never done with any army. But it all depends. ET won with some horde of Goths a while back (and, in a different tourney, wiped up the board with my Moldavians with that army), so I never count any army out if played creatively enough.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I've been looking at this list for a *long* time, and like it a lot. You can either have a small Saxon force and the IrrA EHC, or a bigger Saxon force - my assumption has always been the latter, but I do accept that having irregular close foot being your only attack troops is a challenge. Still, the support troops are _so_ numerous, _so_ cheap and so regular, I think it's definitely worthwhile. If I hadn't been so taken with the horde of IrrD Huns, I was planning to bring this to the last Mini comp.
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Romano Brits

Sooooo Ewan...... Wanna put your money where your mouth is? I just so happen to have a very well painted Romano British army that I'd be willing to sell to the right person. . . Ofcourse he would have to be British. . .

Kelly
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Definitely. What scale? And, does it include the reg loose archers?

I've been slowly trying to accumulate troops for this - I have some nice warbands, and a few appropriate Romans - but would most certainly be interested. If you have a list of the elements and maybe a few pics, I think a deal would be very easy here...
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Sub Roman Brits

Ewan,

Why don't you make up a list of what you want and I'll try to fill it out for you? And I will send you some pictures of the stuff I have.

Kelly Very Happy
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Sub-Roman/Romano-British

Hopefully nobody is confusing the two adjacent lists from Dark Age Warrior here Wink...

Frank
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Sub Roman Brits

Okay Ewan,

Yes, I can provide you with Reg Lmi bowmen. Just put up a list of the items you need and I should be able to provide them for you. The bowmen are old glory and the rest is Essex. I will send you pictures of the figures after you post your desires. By the way, I used these same figures for Spring Recruits and got some very nice complements and at least 3 votes for best painted out of 8 votes. Not too bad! Very Happy

Kelly
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Ewan??????

Perhaps we should take this to the figs for sale section. Are you still interested in the figurines? Helllllllooooo Ewan........!? Surprised

Kel Laughing
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Sorry - just back from Disney. Hence no time to look at list(s) yet, but yes, still interested. I'll try to get to it asap...
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Frank was of course quite right: I was conflating the Romano-Brit and Sub-Roman Brit lists.

Sorry, Kelly, no interest in massed IrrD MI with LTS. Still interested in the Romanos, though Smile .
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Romano Brits

That's fine Ewan, I'm still waiting for your list. As soon as you get that done, I will send you pictures. I hope your trip was fun! Very Happy

Kel
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject:

Alright, already Smile.

For a Romano-Brit collection, I'd want something like:
12-16E HC inc generals
8E LC
12-16E Saxons
12E reg LMI B
16-20E reg LMI JLS, Sh
12E LI JLS, Sh

Happy now? Smile
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Romano Brits

Okay Ewan,

I'm very happy. I think you will be too.. I can deliver on almost all of that. The LI might create some work for me and will cost extra for basing only if I have to rebase them as they are presently LMI but will be perfect for the army, you'll see what I mean when I send you the pics. By the way, if you choose to purchase them as LMI(and they are beautifully based and knock the socks of the lumps you were using for moogs last year), they work great for Moogs, but then we will need to come up with something else for your Li (I might be able to dig something out for you in my massive unpainted stores. If you purchase them as is and rebase them yourself, it will cost you much less money or I can do it for you, your choice. Here is what I have.

15 elements of HC
12 elements of Reg LMI B, Sh
16 elements of Saxons
20 elements of Reg LMI JLS,Sh
24 figs of Li JLS,Sh
6 elements of LC
Four camp elements if you want them, They came with the army when I purchased most of it @ Nashcon 9 or ten years ago.

Most of the army was painted professionally somewhere in England and all of it is very nice. As far as pricing goes, I charge 1 dollar per element for the flocking in which I use Goldens Gel Pumice (coarse) and 3 colors and ofcourse static grass(the drying process takes around 14 hours with all the drying time and then there's the painting and grassing. . ). the whole process takes forever and is worth every penny. The Cavalry have merely been flocked with a mix of railroad ballast and woodland scenics turf. If you like, I can do these or teach you how I do them to save yourself some money and make the basing uniform.

As far as figure cost goes I use the standard $1.00 per foot and $2.00 for mounted. By the way, my long distance is free and if you want better specifics send me your telly over a private message and send your email unless the one I have is correct. I will send the pictures there. Thanks for responding quickly as this will help if you wish me to do any extra work on the basing! Very Happy

Kelly
Kel Wilkinson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Romano Brits

Ewan,

Good news I found some Li figs that I believe to be breechless Irish with JLS. They look the part as far as their barbarous dress.

Kelly

PS PM me that info. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: