Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picts - barbarians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Picts - barbarians

This post fired up to benefit Ed Kollmer and a discussion of Barbarian infantry tactics especially with regard to the Picts.

Frank
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: some details...

Ok...Barbarian Infantry rules that we're interested in here are those pertaining to getting extra figures fighting from back ranks in hth.

The full text of the rules are available in this Forum in the X-Rules listing.

The Picts pretty much get to take full advantage of them as they are of suitable morale and weaponry...you just need to have a 3rd and a 4th rank in your body, and at least 9 elements in that body.

As the troops in the 3rd and 4th rank fight only with 'other infantry' plus or minus various factors, there is no need to double arm them when that's possible.

You might find a 'typical' Pict unit as two elements wide, 5 ranks deep, 2 elements per rank other than the very last, with one Irr A element up front (although note that would prevent them from using shield wall should that formation be permitted to them). I'd probably double arm the front two ranks as LTS,JLS LMI in order to gain advantage against cavalry.

The army itself should consider a mix of MI and LMI to properly handle a mixture of terrain. Also, get some small amount of HC and LC JLS,Sh as that will prove useful...both to try to exploit an open enemy flank, and to charge out from between foot units against enemy skirmishers...nothing sucks more than your 124 point Pict LMI unit endlessly charging off a 49 point enemy LI unit ;(.

Frank
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Barbarian rule

Frank
We have never met that I know of nor have we crossed swords on the plains of miniatures, and you probably know me as an insane person, but what you have done for me with this post, seriously, I do thank you. It is really helpful
EdK
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: No problem...

No problem at all Wink...

Another consideration is whether or not to use Chariots...I'd seriously consider it, as the fact that they cause unease will be very useful to you...you can use them to 'charge off' enemy LI also to good effect.

Your 'best morale' units should be the ones on either end of your line, given how barbarian foot special eagerness works (when a unit sees a friendly unit not containing LC or LI charging or already in hth unbroken)...so no matter what direction charges and combats occur in you'll be able to take advantage of that.

Frank
Dwyight
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Barbarian Rules

FRank,

I do not think that a Pic unit that is "5 ranks deep, 2 elements per rank" could avail itself of the barbarian rules because the extra fighting figures in rank 3 and 4 are limited to 1/3 of the ELEMENTS in the rank. Two elements in the 3rd and 4th rank would not receive extra fighting figures because the number of elements is not divisible by three.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: if you'll check rules...

Your point is exactly one that I make to Scott in the rules section...and which I consider under debate...because...

A barbarian foot block does NOT generally get to govern how many elements it can hit with...opposing mounted lancers or smaller regular foot bodies determine that.

Thus, such enemies, under a 1/3 element division rule, could always guarantee (no matter how large your barbarian body is, or how many ranks, etc.), that NO figures from a 3rd or 4th rank fought under the current wording of the rule (simply by hitting you on only one element).

Under the current rule, however, if you were able to hit something two wide, then 4 elements (the total from ranks 3 and 4) divided by 3, is 1 element...

Frank
Dwyight
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: if you'll check rules...

Frank Gilson wrote:
Under the current rule, however, if you were able to hit something two wide, then 4 elements (the total from ranks 3 and 4) divided by 3, is 1 element...

Frank

In essence, any formation other than 3 wide by 4 deep is not likely to acheive benefit from barbarian rules. As you point out, this benefit can easily be negated by an opponent who hits with multiple units across the front of the barbarian unit.

The lesson learned is, the aded cost of added figures is not justified by the barnarian rules.
Dwyight
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: if you'll check rules...

Frank Gilson wrote:

Frank

In essence, any formation other than 3 wide by 4 deep is not likely to acheive benefit from barbarian rules. As you point out, this benefit can easily be negated by an opponent who hits with multiple units across the front of the barbarian unit.

The lesson learned is, the aded cost of added figures is not justified by the barnarian rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: