Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One Army for Mini and Open

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: One Army for Mini and Open

I am planning to attend H-Con in 3 weeks, and I want to play Warrior in the Mini and Open, as the likes of me are not permitted to sully the NICT with our degrading presence. Due to space limits I can only bring one army for both events. I can't make up my mind.

I have a brand-new Samurai army. It's pretty, it's shiny....and it's slow. With the new shorter rounds, can this army be comptetitive? I mean, I don't expect to have a real chance to win, but I don't want to be a joke, either. The Sammies might be a bit boring to play 6 games with, and are so slow that basically anybody who doesn't think they can beat them does not really have to fight them. In short rounds, is this army just a recipe for low points draws?

My other choice is the Xianbei list. Lots of speed, decent amount of punch, a few bad terrain troops, it has everything the Sammies lack, but ....OK, I painted it myself and while it looks OK, it is not as eye-catching as the Samurai, and somehow isn't as scary-looking. Is this army (which could easily morph into Northern Dynasty Chinese, Xiongnu, or Later T'ang) a better choice than Samurai for playing both the Mini and the Open?

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject:

First... I know it was a joke, but 'degrading'? C'mon.

I think that the T'ang is a great mini and Open list. That would be my first choice. However, I wouldn't worry about not getting games in with the Samurai; there's going to be little skirmishing, so it'll essentially be a straight advance-to-contact, likely, and that means you'll be getting points one way or the other. A few movement trays might help, but I would not have picked Samurai as an army that needed to worry about games running out of time.
AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject:

OK, OK. Degrading may have been a bit strong...but it was an attempt at exaggeration for enhanced comedic effect. Plainly a failed attempt.

I will take another look at the T'ang, thank you.

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject:

I think it fell flat, yes; the risk of conveying that those more experienced and expert might not be welcoming to others seemed significant. The intent was clear, though; no big deal.

I'd take Tibetan allies in the Tang, as their main source of punch; personally I'd take the SHC with MC back ranks, which are just *so* cost-effective, especially in a Mini. I believe I ran exactly this in a Mini at PointCon one year: something like 4 SHC/MC units, 3 MI LTS/B units, 3 2E LI B units, a couple of extras, but that's totally off the top of my head.

Now, if you were trying to have this also be a Theme-compatible army, we'd have bigger issues Smile
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject:

I looked at Xianbei, because I used to run a CHinese Northern Dynasties DBM army and the Northern Dynasties are kind of Xianbei successor.

It is probably less famous a list, maybe a better suprise factor. But these were the guys who perhaps chased the Huns out of central Asia and were to China what the Goths, Franks and Vandals were to Rom all wrapped up into one. A nice 'bad guy' image.

So I would certainly encourage it if you are inclined that way. Mind you I never win anything but I _do_ know full well how to have fun trying.

If you want background there is an excellent article on the web somewhere about the development of horse armor among the Xianbei or some such and it has I think acquired an importance similar to Lynn White's old somewhat-disparaged work on stirrups (I can see Scott Holder cringing) in the West. In fact I think I sent that one in to Scott and I do not know if it aided the army list development or not but anyway it is a good read on the history of the era as well.

I actually like the Warrior Xianbei list, though I sold the Chinese army a while back. When I first got Oriental Warrior it was one that cuaght my eye.

The light troops both mounted and foot are very very good, are configurable to cover most roles, and are cheap and optimised for the irregular side of light troop usage. The lack of regular lights you can solve with Chinese subjects if you choose to go that way, but you can also opt to ignore I think.

The shock cavalry is also quite likeable and there a gazillion ways to set them up. The SHC can not get shields, so maybe that means the real heavies just do not have shields which saves points, but on the other hand the shock cavalry all get bows and exchanging shots when you are 7-figures with SHC in the front always seemed to be like you were going to come out ahead on almost anything as long as you are not disordered. You can make a couple lighter shock units that can go in the rough with shields.

And me, I am attracted by the prospect of having 4 SHC/EHC units which are Irreg A for the four up front (that's a lot of +2's when you roll up, works even better than it does for knights). Befits wearing of the black cowboy hat.

I would likely have played this list by now a few times except for having sold the Chinese figures and finding other interests that also suited me. In fact, whimsical as I am, I am going to have sit down and look at this one again for old times sake.
AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Ewan, Thanks, Bill. I am busily pointing out T'ang and Xianbei lists as we ....er....type. I suspect Ewan likes the T'ang better because the SHC get shields, and the close-order foot is better, but I must admit the who-the-heck-are-the Xianbei factor is veeeery tempting. The shorter rounds do make speedy pin-and-punch armies seem the way to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: