Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UNIT command stands, esp foot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: UNIT command stands, esp foot

I typically just use command figs for generals' stands when building up an army. Probably a holdover from DBM days where there are no 'units' as such. Almost every other rule set, Warrior included, uses 'units' and some like WHAB even specifically use command figs for units.

Now I am looking at an army with a bunch of foot units (some mounted too) and wondering about adding command figures into these even if they do not have a general.

I think it would look nice, having more standards and such in the army is probably more attractive and makes the units have some personality.

However I see some downside to this too. It makes the generals stand out less, although okay you can use a different kind of standard (larger) for them and that would work as well as being hostorical and adding nice variety. Also in some cases it looks weird like having a unit of longbowmen with some of the rear rankers shooting into their own standard in the front rank. And then there are the smaller units (2E) especially mounted but some foot too where you kind of lose the entire front rank in command figs - bad on its own but really bad in cases where the front rank is different anyhow.

I was wondering how most people approach this. Most of the armies I see and play against seem to be like mine where the command figs are mostly just for generals, but are there any players out there who have tried something like this?

How did you do the particulars? How did it work out? Any advice to give on it?

Thanks.
Scott McCoppin
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Unit command figs...

John,

I use them quite a bit as I agree that it adds some local flavor to the units. I don't use them in my light units or really small units, but sprinkle a fair amount into my MC+ cavalry and CO foot units. I just completed a xyston (15mm) later hoplite greek list and my individual hoplite units all had musicians and officers (no standards).

My 28mm Byzantines will have officers and banners...I couldn't resist with the Little Big Mna Studios Byzantine banners sheet...

Noel White
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject:

It really depends on the army, in my opinion. Some are better for that than others. Alexander's army is loaded with characters/hero types, so I tried to take advantage.

My Macedonian units all have officer types - only one banners in my army (a standard with the Royal Hypaspists). The small HC units have only an officer figure (one of Alexanders many named commanders)-- he is distinguished by his cloak, and in some cases carries a sword instead of lance. Light troops have a sword-armed command figure, or an armoured one. The CinC is distinguished by being a figure of Alexander! The phalangites are lead by the appropriate phalanx commander, sword-armed and cloaked.

My Persian Army is lead by the King of Kings himself -- on his royal chariot, so he stands out like a sore thumb (a terrible "game" choice, but I don't think I'd want to play otherwise). The units are lead by finer dressed and/or better equipped Persians. I may yet include standards in the infantry units.

It really helps build your affection for an army if you take the (extra, extra) time to give it some life. The units become familiar and you attach some (minor) emotional response. It also seems to matter less when you win or lose. After all you can blame it on Parmenion's caution, Hephaestion's lake of enthusiasm or Bessus' treachery ....

Noel.
Matt Kollmer
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: UNIT command stands, esp foot

hey John
I for one am a big believer in banners, I have a 15mm Medeival Irish army and spent some time matching a leaderish looking guy with a hornblower and then made banners for each unit excluding LI/LC. I was "ribbed" for giving any ol peasant in my army a banner!!
Especially In a 15mm army it adds alot of flavor, However I've seen were one friend in particular(Todd Kaeser) spend hours painting banners for his 25mm KOSJ, and They look beautiful. The banners for his generals are alittle larger and usually are more detailed.
I think IMHO, that time spend this way is time well spent.
hope this helps even alittle
Matt
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject:

John,

Well... personally I'm all for command figures. For one reason it may help you delineate the different units from each other. This would make casualty recording that much easier - this is the main reason for me using commander/banners.

For medieval armies I LOVE having banners. I think it adds to an armies look on the table, especially from afar. Many have been able to print them off of the computer and they do look nice - especially if you don't want to spend the time to hand paint them.

Some armies might not work well w/ banners/flags. I just love to use different figures or small whispy type banners to help me tell my units apart.

Todd K

chrisbump
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:

I am a big fan of banners and command figures too. In my 28mm Byzantine army, with the exception of the asiatics, all of my units have a banner. Even the LI have the equivilant of a colored guidon. For your archers, just put the banner in the second rank. For your two element cav units, I usually get rid of the musician and am able to have a leader and two of the apporpriate type of troops for the front rank (one carrying a banner instead of a lance or otherwise.)

The bigger the unit the more color you can add with leaders and musicians and still have the unit look like the warriors you want to represent.

Chris
chrisbump
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject:

am a big fan of banners and command figures too. In my 28mm Byzantine army, with the exception of the asiatics, all of my units have a banner. Even the LI have the equivilant of a colored guidon. For your archers, just put the banner in the second rank. For your two element cav units, I usually get rid of the musician and am able to have a leader and two of the apporpriate type of troops for the front rank (one carrying a banner instead of a lance or otherwise.)

The bigger the unit the more color you can add with leaders and musicians and still have the unit look like the warriors you want to represent.

Chris
chrisbump
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject:

I am a big fan of banners and command figures too. In my 28mm Byzantine army, with the exception of the asiatics, all of my units have a banner. Even the LI have the equivilant of a colored guidon. For your archers, just put the banner in the second rank. For your two element cav units, I usually get rid of the musician and am able to have a leader and two of the apporpriate type of troops for the front rank (one carrying a banner instead of a lance or otherwise.)

Chris
Sgt Maj Centurion
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject:

I also like having some command, musican and banner figures in my figures. I have Marian & Early Imperial Romans - I have been using one "special" figure on 3 out of 4 stands and they look good. I also have Spartans and I did not base them with any specials - except the Leader stands
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: functionally

Also, some units have one element that has a special function. It may be higher morale...it may be carrying flaming pigs...etc.

You can use the command stand as such.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: