Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

back from H-con

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: back from H-con

Just a quick after-con note...

I was at the con from Thursday night to almost the bitter end Sunday but actually did not play in any of the Warrior tournies. Instead I shopped to get most of my Anglo-Irish lead in to the painter, and I took in a couple convention games. Sometimes this is a lot of fun for a change. (As an aside unfortunately this year was not one of those times. A combination of what seemed much much less variety in the subject matter this year and also just some plain stupid stuff that put a big dent in my fun.)

However, thanks to Tim Grimmett for "rescuing" my con by sticking it out Sunday to play our DC tourney Warrior game. I was using some of my old medievals to stand in for the Anglo-Irish while they are painted. It was my first battle with the list, my first EVER Warrior game with any close order foot that was not a dismounted knight (think about that - I am almost sure even in 7th you have to go back to my first tourney in 1986? or so to an army I played with CO foot), my first game period in about a year and a half, my first game with the 'new' (hardly, anymore, really is it) rulebook, my first game in maybe four years or so without any 1.5-rank LC or Irreg A knights, my first game in just as long where I actually had to plan on prompting units to charge. Anyhow, needless to say there were innumerable rules questions I had to ask to jog my memory and while I managed to be careful about the prompts I kept forgetting to mark my fatigue which must have been annoying - need to come up with a good way to do that next to the unit as I get older and the brain starts to get even duller. Anyhow, the game was a blast too - over 1500 points of dead troops with only about 100 pts or so difference between the two sides. I lost 836 points of troops (thought for sure I was going hit 1000 pts lost - I am positive I would have in another bound or two) and came away with 3 tourney points, incredible. I was a little slow, it took us about 3-1/2 hours or so but I think we did get thru 6-7 bounds of mayhem trying to figure out how many units we could lose and still manage to wind up 150 over which neither of us did. The army the way I set it up was not bad for a first shot, in fact very comfortable for someone used to HYWE or Free Company to adapt to with the bonus (I think, so far) of some actually good cheap foot troops. So I think this list is a keeper for me and am glad I decided to pursue getting it painted up.

But I am still looking to solve some deployment mysteries. The whole lance and longbow schtick I have down completely but I really botched the entire use of every Irish-Irish unit except the Gallowglass.

Anyhow, looking forward to hearing the after-action reports and seeing the annual Ewan NICT list grand revue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: