Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

polybian roman vs alex imperial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoke
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: polybian roman vs alex imperial

please help with recommendations on list production for a 2000 pt polybian roman army to take against an alexandrian imperial army. please comment if you can on tactics for this list vs the elephants as well as the companion cavalry with the nasty breakthrough list rule. if i need to post some of this on the tactics list let me know
Noel White
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject:

Well, I can give you a few ideas...
I'm no tactical master, but I play an Alexandrian army and I often face Polybian Romans. I can tell you what they do to me.

Against elephants, the choice of loose troops with JLS are many!
I often have to face "regular" Thracians with 2HCW and JLS. Good old greek peltasts (LTS and JLS) are good in a pinch too. I think the idea is you shoot the elephants to a standstill (2CPF) and then charge them at a halt, with massive factors.

With my companions, I look for a HTW unit that isn't protected by LTS triarii in the rear, and charge them to breakthrough ... the phalangites then follow-up. So take some triarii and keep 'em in the rear to threaten the breakthroughs. Some archers will also keep those sheildless companions from getting too close.

I think what you really need to fear is the Bactrians and Saka/Skythians. They will make short work of your Cav and light troops.

Noel.
smoke
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject:

appreciate your response. who usually wins your roman imp alex matchups?
Terry Dix
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject:

Noel White wrote:

I think what you really need to fear is the Bactrians and Saka/Skythians. They will make short work of your Cav and light troops.

Noel.

I have run the Bactrians for a long time and while they make short work of the Cav and Lights, this is only true if you fail to keep them supported. I like the Bactrians they are a hard army to loose with. They are also a hard army to win big with.
Noel White
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject:

Well Mr smoke,

I'd say against the Polybian player, my Macedonians usually come out on top.
But my buddy is having trouble with that list, he's much better with "shooty" roman armies. He plays with the IrrD elephants with bow, and loads up on peltasts, spanish and thracians.

Now I play Alexandrian Macedonian, so no elephants and no horse archers.
When I say fear the Bactrians, I mean the ones integrated into the alex-Imp list, in combo with elephants and hypaspists.

The trouble with the Polybian romans, I find, is that to be deadly in the "historical way" they need lots of ranks and second-line units, and with the high points cost of HI you can't afford it -- Camillan romans might have an easier time with that.

Right now the Romans are few, but with the list rules, very very deadly.

Noel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: