Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions on Tactics From NICT Lists
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Questions on Tactics From NICT Lists

In reading Mark's and Frank's analysis of NICT lists and playing strategies, I began to wonder if there are certain things (that tend to be found in "killer" lists) for which there really isn't much answer, i.e., "uber-troops."

The example that first comes to mind is that I agree with Mark that shooting is a major factor in most Warrior games, and that LHI with 2HCT is very, very effective, particularly combined with CB or any other ranged weapon( -see Japanese). This is largely for the simple reason that such troops get to shoot you once before combat, then again in support (either from a rear rank with bow, or with two or one and a half ranks of figures if they stand to receive), and then the same little men get to do a bunch damage to you in HTH (no matter if you're foot or mounted). That's a lot of damage per man in one bound, and even shiedless in subsequent bounds, they trade that +2 for a perennial -1 against all opponents, no matter what, and they're always dishing out a HTH factor of 5, round after round. That even makes Roman HTW/1HCW look weak, since 2HCT weapon factors don't go down as precipitously facing mounted.

So, I'd be interested in Mark's or Frank's (or anyone else's) thoughts on just exactly what antidote exists for this troop type. About all I can think of is to charge them with SHC or SHK or maybe El (after first carefully soaking off their CB fire on some supporting unit) and hope they fail their waver. What else can one do, frontally speaking???? Trying to shoot them up doesn't even work well if they're shielded or LEHI in the front rank. Thoughts from the pros????

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on Tactics From NICT Lists

Bill Chriss wrote:
In reading Mark's and Frank's analysis of NICT lists and playing strategies, I began to wonder if there are certain things (that tend to be found in "killer" lists) for which there really isn't much answer, i.e., "uber-troops."

The example that first comes to mind is that I agree with Mark that shooting is a major factor in most Warrior games, and that LHI with 2HCT is very, very effective, particularly combined with CB or any other ranged weapon( -see Japanese). This is largely for the simple reason that such troops get to shoot you once before combat, then again in support (either from a rear rank with bow, or with two or one and a half ranks of figures if they stand to receive), and then the same little men get to do a bunch damage to you in HTH (no matter if you're foot or mounted). That's a lot of damage per man in one bound, and even shiedless in subsequent bounds, they trade that +2 for a perennial -1 against all opponents, no matter what, and they're always dishing out a HTH factor of 5, round after round. That even makes Roman HTW/1HCW look weak, since 2HCT weapon factors don't go down as precipitously facing mounted.

So, I'd be interested in Mark's or Frank's (or anyone else's) thoughts on just exactly what antidote exists for this troop type. About all I can think of is to charge them with SHC or SHK or maybe El (after first carefully soaking off their CB fire on some supporting unit) and hope they fail their waver. What else can one do, frontally speaking???? Trying to shoot them up doesn't even work well if they're shielded or LEHI in the front rank. Thoughts from the pros????

The answer, as in most things, is combined arms. No single unit will match up well against LHI CB,2HCT. These guys will either stand and fight when they can win, or skirmish away when they cannot. Either way they can use shooting to do damage.

What you need is the right pair of units, which isn't that hard to achieve. Let's look at a some examples. First off, good shock cavalry like SHK or SHC will help. Pair shock cav with a durable foot unit, and you're in good shape.

So, example one: Medieval French bring up 4 stands of HI/MI LTS,Sh in a 1x4 column and 2 stands of Irr B SHK L,Sh in a 1x2 column against 4 stands of LHI CB, 2HCT in a 2x2 block. As the French, you try to get to 40p with both units. Now what's the LHI to do? It can't skirmish, because then it would get caught in an evade by the SHK. It doesn't do enough shooting to the LTS guys to bother them. An even shooting roll will do 2 CPF to the SHK (8@1), but a down roll won't even do that. Let's assume the SHK get shot up and charge. They'll typically hit doing 5@3 (lance charging impetuously is a 7, minus for tired, facing 2HCT, and -2 for support shooting). This compares to 6@2. So you do more, but not a CPF. That's fine. If you roll up or if the LHI fail their waver test for being charged, you're in great shape. There's more than a 50/50 chance that at least one of those will happen. Then the LTS guys can charge in with impunity.

Next example: Nikophran Byzantine bring up 4 stands of Varangians in a 1x4 column and 2 stands of Reg A SHC L,Sh in a 1x2 column. This is a little harder in some ways, but easier in others. The Byzantines try to get both units to 40p. If the LHI CB,2HCT skirmish, then charge with the Varangians. If the evaders roll down, you may still catch them. If not, regroup and try again next bound. If the LHI CB,2HCT do not skirmish, charge impetuously with the Varangians. You'll win at first contact (2HCW+JLS charging impetuously minus facing 2HCT, and a second rank of just JLS charging impetuously minus facing 2HCT): 3@8=23+2@5=8=31 total vs. 6@5=24 total. The Varangians will start losing after this, but that doesn't matter. They've done their job by pinning the CB,2HCT guys in place and allowing the SHC to charge into them without facing support shooting. The SHC will finish the job.

You can do this with lesser cavalry (EHC will work, as will Chinese HCh with either 2HCT or LTS). You can do this with any infantry that's at least as good as HI LTS. The point is you need the tandem: the infantry to be relatively impervious to shooting and the mounted to penalize the LHI for trying to skirmish away. Even in the best of cases it still takes time and patience. You are also probably going to be committing more points than the opposing LHI CB,2HCT unit costs to try and take it down, so you'd better be pinning or delaying your opponent with fewer points elsewhere.

And once you start thinking on that level, you've now escalated this from thinking about a couple of units in isolation to thinking about a battle plan. And that is precisely what you should be thinking about.

-Mark Stone
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Excellent stuff. Thanks Mark. This helps me a lot. I'm struggling, kicking and screaming, to make progress along the Warrior learning curve.
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject:

The anti RB LHI CB 2HCT Sh troop type, RC LMI LTS S Sh such as Inca and several other south american armies field. An 8 point fig vs. a 5 point fig, for once Inca has an advantage. Smile
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Inca...

Actually, the Inca can't use circulating combatants...so if they are forced to fight the LHI 2HCT,CB...they're in very serious (routing soon) trouble.

Yes, the fact that they have sling and skirmish shooting shielded is a win for the shooting war...but let's see the factors.

16 Reg C or B LHI 2HCT,CB against 16 Reg C or B LMI LTS,S,Sh

LHI halberd/XBow guys are in skirmish firing 12 at a -1 for nothing...
Incas are 12 at a 2 for 24...a +2 roll is needed to do 2 CPF (unlikely)...

So here the LHI halberdiers want to get to 40p and charge the Inca, hoping to catch them, and aren't too generally bothered by the shooting (if they can remain in skirmish.)

Nothing happens in isolation, however, as Mark states. Even if the lone halberdiers face Inca in the above manner, they should position themselves such as to push Inca back at a critical location such as a flank hinge, because the Inca unit MUST evade or die. Thus the halberdiers achieve a strategic advantage, even if unable to come to grips with a tactical one.

Also, if I can force your infantry into Skirmish with my superior fighters, then, again, as Mark states, I can charge you with mounted to catch you or at least cause waver. The Inca have no mounted.

Frank
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Bill Chriss wrote:
Excellent stuff. Thanks Mark. This helps me a lot. I'm struggling, kicking and screaming, to make progress along the Warrior learning curve.

Well, hasty stuff as it turns out. The general ideas are right, but my examples need some polish.

The SHK should not charge the LHI alone. They are one factor short of what's needed to make this viable (even an up 1 to 5@4 still doesn't do a CPF).

And if the Varangians are charging in impetuously, the SHC should charge with them to assure that the CB,2HCT guys are not just recoiling, but recoiling disordered.

More generally: one of the requirements for 2HCT to fight in a rank and a half is that they have to be steady. So the key is to disorder them at contact, which means involving mounted in a winning combat. Don't send a single mounted unit in alone. That's really the key.

Put your cavalry boot to boot (Jon did this with great effect against the Japanese in the 2006 NICT).

Put your cavalry together with impetuous foot (The SHC - Varangian example).

Put elephants together with non-impetuous foot. This latter is a little tricky, since the elephants will suck in all the prep shooting unless the foot are also shooters, but it can be done if orchestrated properly.

Put chariots together wheel to wheel or with impetuous foot. My Shang Chinese army, for example, would send in a HCh together with the Northern Barbarian ally general, and achieve much the same effect as the SHC - Varangian combination.

So every problem has a solution. It's really a question of how you fold that solution into your larger battle plan.

-Mark Stone
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Mark Stone wrote:
[
So every problem has a solution. It's really a question of how you fold that solution into your larger battle plan.

-Mark Stone

Again, this sort of tutorial is quite helpful. Thanks.

The passage quoted above made me want to ask another question. My experience is that I can much more easily make my own plan and follow it than focus on and understand what my opponent is trying to do. This is why I could never play chess well. I spent so much time on executing my plan that my opponent always caught me unaware with his own. (as in, oops...there goes my queen).

So, perhaps it is a bit like playing quarterback or linebacker in football. The better players can read keys in their opponent, in the same way that qb's read safeties and LB's read offensive linemen.

In this regard, what can you, Frank, or anyone else recommend in terms of decyphering the opponent's strategy (i.e., reading his keys)? A lot of us, I think, would like some help with that.

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: what can your opponent 'not' do?

One way to look at things is to eliminate worries. So, what can your opponent NOT do?

If your enemy has no mounted, you won't be facing any mounted charges and you can put your poor morale loose order foot in the open.

If your opponent only has things like HCh, SHC, or Elephants as mounted, you won't be facing any charges from 160p, only 120p.

If your opponent has no significant (massed) shooting, well, you won't be taking much in the way of prep or support or the resulting effects.

If your enemy has no LC, your LI is 'safer' than it otherwise would be.

So, look at the army you fight against to eliminate things for you to worry about. Then those things don't complicate your play.

Frank
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Inca advanced technologyy

Inca, being the most advanced of the South American armies, can field mounted troops in the post conquest period. Smile HC JLS Sh and HK L Sh are available if desired. The post conquest period is kind of neat, not as many high morale foot, lots of pike, Inca mounted on stolen horses, and Spanish troops from the losing Almagrist faction.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Inca

Jamie's basically correct about the Inca...although I'd clarify that there's no HC L,Sh, only JLS,Sh, and of generally poor morale (Irr C) which is an "unusable troop type". There are only two elements of HK L,Sh available which are pretty much not going to be charging impetuously. Thus I don't consider the Post-Conquest Epilogue period Inca to be that playable.
AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Despite the counter-measures suggested by Mark and Frank, this thread reinforces the opinion I formed this summer at H-Con; the Feudal Japanese list is so good it's almost TOO good. ALL of the tactics suggested here were thrown at me without much success. I basically used the same list and same simple-minded tactics in 6 games and won 5, only losing that one due to my own deep stupidity- I wandered away from my own plan and committed two unforced errors against an opponent, Dave Dietrich, more skilled than myself. Well, to be fair, most of my opponents were more skilled than myself. I won not because my skills were better, but because a from rank of LEHI, LB, 2HCT is a super troop type that with decent dice luck will cure any mistake against frontal opponents.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: You Japanese

There are some armies that can't handle the Japanese, true.

There are some people that can't fight against the Japanese, with any army, true. (although they could learn)

Don't take the Feudal Japanese against me, though...or Mark Stone...or Derek Downs...or Dave Markowitz...or Ewan McNay.

It's likely we have both an army, and the knowledge, to destroy you utterly, have you driven before us, as we listen to the lamentation of your women.

Seriously, though, shieldless LEHI do have to worry about massed crossbow and longbow fire, especially that which can evade. They also have to worry about massed knights, and the combined arms of a knight unit used to pin, and good hth infantry used to win. Finally, they don't actually like to fight elephants (especially with pike) all that much.

Although, yes, if you can consistently roll up on your dice you'll still do well. Don't look for that at the average event.

Frank "Sun Tzu" Gilson
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Just as a couple of examples: in the teams at CW, Todd and I faced 2000 points of Japanese using KoSJ; that's Frank's "knights and infantry" tag-team, and no problem. I faced them with Sassanids a few times; once a 1-1 draw (Dave Markowitz), the others no problem for an elephant/SHC/shooters combination, especially with the Sassanid lights controlling the battlefield. I know Jon's Welsh *loved* to face them. Lots of other examples, honestly.

[They're not at all a *bad* army - they're just not as good as you think Wink]
AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, Frank, I can't hear you above all the lamenting women (they wanted to get a head start). At H-Con I had an 8-stand Samurai/Ashigaru unit charged by 4 units of SHK at once. I was able to charge impetuously as well. I rolled up two, recoiled them all, and eventually routed all 4. Very lucky dice, true, but I was franklly shocked it was possible at all. Even tired and disordered, I still beat them on the second and subsequent bounds, and kept driving them back until my flank supports arrived (and I got another big up roll).

Still, I accept your points (1) that they can be beaten by superior play, and (2) there are lots of people whose play is superior to mine. Still, they are one very, very nasty bunch of dudes.

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Yes, Samurai nasty

Yes, the Samurai are very strong...the problem with the Feudal Japanese list is the homogeneity of it...you don't get lancers, various supporting troops, cheap plentiful lights, etc.

The couple of lists that permit some Samurai mixed with other troops you can't get LEHI and have various other serious problems that rule them out.

They're also very well situated to benefit from plus die rolls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: