Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

List Commentary "commentary"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> List Lore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
One of my favorite armies is Maccabean Jewish, and I have a pretty good configuration, and I would run it in an Open event, or casually, but never in the NICT.

But even in just an open event, aren't you going to be running into some of the same Armies you would be facing at the NICT, if not some of the same players? Sorry, don't know the Warrior scene in Seattle, but for other parts of the country...

Todd

Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Saxon

derekcus wrote:
Well I was going to run Later Hoplite at my next tournament but now have a new goal.
Derekcus

We just had our major 25mm comp in Australia. Later hoplite Greek came 1st!!!

Mark Stone has commented on 10IS....this army came 2nd.

Both players that used these armies are very good which is in line with the theme of this thread.

Cheers..............Geoff
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Todd Schneider wrote:
Quote:
One of my favorite armies is Maccabean Jewish, and I have a pretty good configuration, and I would run it in an Open event, or casually, but never in the NICT.

But even in just an open event, aren't you going to be running into some of the same Armies you would be facing at the NICT, if not some of the same players? Sorry, don't know the Warrior scene in Seattle, but for other parts of the country...

Todd

Sure...but the NICT is, well, 'serious'. I want to do the best I can possibly do to win it (discarding unethical behavior.) This includes the choice of army. Some other 'open' format event is not generally a must win.

Frank
derekcus
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Stuff

10 Ind States Is a slow moving army that I had to repeatedly shown by Steve 4 or 5 times before I would look at it. I was ready to run Tang but the elephants changes my mind. I liked them not as the punch units but as a zone of control to keep better cav away from mine. The army is strong but not a top army in my opinion. It can be picked apart too easily by another strong army.

Han Chinese is by far one of the best armies in the game. Steve and I worked up a very good list that for some reason was not discussed on the NICT list reviews.

By the way. I have the figs for Early Saxon now. I will be using my Anglo Norman army for most of it. Which is another solid army.

Derekcus
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject:

Damn. If I'd known I'd be taken this seriously I would have actually looked at the Early Saxon list before making such pronouncements. Either that or used 'Early Northern Barbarian' as my exemplar Razz Cool
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Early Saxon is the Bomb!

Hey, no changing your mind on the challenging army list of the month. The gears are grinding hard here in Jacksonville and Fernandina (where Steve and I live) to rise to the challenge of fielding a decent Early Saxon list, or writing a killer Late Imperial Roman list for grinding Derek into the dust. I've got enough close order figs to field Early Saxon, it would sort of be like playing Caesar and his legions.

We don't need no stinking calvary! Smile

Jamie
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject:

Ewan McNay wrote:
Damn. If I'd known I'd be taken this seriously I would have actually looked at the Early Saxon list before making such pronouncements. Either that or used 'Early Northern Barbarian' as my exemplar Razz Cool

If by "Northern Barbarian" you mean the list in Oriental Warrior, I'd live to give that a run if I had the figures for it. Every game would result in somebody getting 5 points, that's for sure.

-Mark Stone
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Stuff

derekcus wrote:

Han Chinese is by far one of the best armies in the game. Steve and I worked up a very good list that for some reason was not discussed on the NICT list reviews.

Derekcus

I'll see if I can dig up Steve's list; the omission was certainly not deliberate. And I'm still waiting for someone to post Dick's Japanese list. Frank, I know you say you don't have it, but I can see from my mail that it was in an attachment sent to you.

-Mark Stone
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject:

Frank Gilson wrote:

Sure...but the NICT is, well, 'serious'. I want to do the best I can possibly do to win it (discarding unethical behavior.) This includes the choice of army. Some other 'open' format event is not generally a must win.

Frank

Frank,

Although part of me does agree with your sentiment that the NICT is indeed quite "serious", it would still be interesting to see a list like later Maccabeans at the NICT. Ecspecially when a player who knows how to play it is running it.

Todd

derekcus
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Later Hoplite

Late Hoplite won a major tournament. I want to meet the guy who ran that. That is a hell of a hard army to run and even harded to get a big win out of someone. I guess there are not alot of Japanese armies there.

Great now everyone in Jacksonville is building the anti Early Saxon list for the next Derekcon. The list has a few weakness like, the inability to fight knights, can't catch Aztec types, has no shooting. no scouting points, no good cav, etc etc ..........

Have to start the wounded duck thing now. Smile

Derekcus
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject:

I assume you're using the Barbarian Rules for this great Saxon experiment.

scott

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Todd Schneider wrote:
Frank Gilson wrote:

Frank

Frank,

Although part of me does agree with your sentiment that the NICT is indeed quite "serious", it would still be interesting to see a list like later Maccabeans at the NICT. Ecspecially when a player who knows how to play it is running it.

Todd

I'll post my current list and philosophy here, then, as an illustration. Perhaps someone will experiment with the army and then we may see it. Note that the figures would be hard for me to obtain and play with in 25mm (I don't even have them all in 15mm.)

Maccabean Jewish - Classical Warrior List#40
CinC Reg A/B HC L 147
Sub Reg A/B HC L 97
6 Reg B HC L 64
3 units of 4 Reg B LC JLS,B 138
5 units of 36 Irr C(3 A) LMI JLS,Sh(15)/JLS(21) 590
2 units of 24 Irr E LI S 74
3 units of 24 Irr E LMI B 111
5 units of 8 Reg B LMI LTS,JLS,Sh 290
16 Reg B MI P,Sh 90 = 1601
22 units, 2 commands, 36 scouting

The Irr E units fill a LOT of space and are very cheap. In practice they do no shooting damage as any die roll other than 'even' is a down roll. Still, in order to kill them the enemy has to devote real troops and time, especially if they're up a steep hill. The archers (LMI) typically force march.

The other force marchers are two of the Reg B LC units, with the 3rd as a reserve fast marcher.

The main line that advances towards the enemy contains the big barbarian blocks and the Irr E LI slingers. All of the peltasts, the generals, and the pike unit, are the reserve.

The commands are such that the the Sub Gen typically gets all the forward units (force marchers and front line) while the CinC gets all the reserve units (himself and the regular foot.)

If you're afraid of 'useless' charges for a bound or two forced on you by enemy who get within charge range of your foot blocks, but that can evade, put that command on Wait orders with a signal that the general can give himself. After you've gotten within reasonable range of 'real' enemy troops, at the end of that bound you give the signal and go to Attack, ready to charge on the following bound.

You'll lose some big foot blocks...and have to take a few wavers, thus the upgrade morale of the troops that matter.

The idea is to grind into the opponent and then follow up the attack with your reserve command. You'll find some of your foot blocks uselessly charging away LI or LC anyway, but hopefully the Wait order period allowed you to get close enough to throw javelins and see what happens.

Frank
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuff

Mark Stone wrote:
derekcus wrote:

Derekcus

I'll see if I can dig up Steve's list; the omission was certainly not deliberate. And I'm still waiting for someone to post Dick's Japanese list. Frank, I know you say you don't have it, but I can see from my mail that it was in an attachment sent to you.

-Mark Stone

Which Steve? I have a Steve Hollowell Han list...I can post that.

Carefully checking through my hotmail account, to which I received the NICT lists for review, I see no Dick Japanese list attachment anywhere. Perhaps someone can ask Dick for it...but I think I know almost exactly what it would look like, or at least I wouldn't be surprised...there's not much variability to a good Japanese list.

Frank
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Steve Rawls had Han at the NICT.

Jamie
Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Later Hoplite

derekcus wrote:
Late Hoplite won a major tournament. I want to meet the guy who ran that. That is a hell of a hard army to run and even harded to get a big win out of someone.
Derekcus

It certainly surprised all of us too. I played the army in the last round. I was using Early Burgundian which I think everyone will agree has many advantages over Later Hoplite. After we had deployed I felt pretty confident. However, at the end of the march stage in bound one I was already under pressure!!
The Iphicratid Hoplites ( he had 3 units of 24 ) move fast giving the Greeks mobile strike power ( that don't care too much about stakes ). It was a great game which ended in a 3-3 bloodbath.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> List Lore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: