Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seleukids- A or B ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Seleukids- A or B ?

Back in the Olden Times, in TOG, when I last played a lot, my beloved Seleukids were considered a killer list, an A list. I started playing Seleukids in 4th Edition because their history is so romanitc, so exotic, and kept playing them because I fell in love with the hellenistic period.

I sort of quit playing Seleukids after awhile in TOG because I kept hearing people accuse me of playing them only because the list was so tough. Well, it was a very nasty list indeed. Now the army seems less well regarded. Has it slipped back to maybe a B? Is it safe to resume playing them without guilt? If I beat somebody with the army, do I now get more of the credit than the guy who wrote the list books?

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Go Ahead

Go ahead and play Seleucids regardless of what the folks trampled by your elephants, skewered by your pikes, and gored by your scythes say!

Truthfully...it's the army you play if you want lots of elephants (Cool plus some other Macedonian style troops...and is a solid list that can compete well.

It's not a super-duper-kill-everything list, but arguably it never was.

Frank
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject:

My personal "A" list is very short:
* Alexandrian Imperial
* Khmer
* Knights of Saint John
* Later Carthaginian

Those are the lists that I rate as having "10" potential in the NICT. There are a number of lists that I rate in the "9" category, which probably don't fall all the way from "A" to "B" but maybe fall to "A-". Sassanid Persian is one I rate a 9, and Seleukids would be another.

Alexandrian Imperial is more balanced overall, and more importantly has the Hypaspists. Seleukids can get scythed chariots (which I would never take), and can get more elephants. The latter is its key differentiator. If you want to run a pike-elephant army with lots of elephants, then Seleukids is best of breed.

We see it occaisionally in national open tournament play, but not nearly as often as in TOG, and not as often as Alexandrian Imperial. I don't anyone would have a real basis for disparaging you for playing the army, particularly since you have the knowledge of and passion for its history.

-Mark Stone
wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject:

Seleucid is played alot in Australia. This is possible due to the conditions of our comps. We play 2 25mm, 6' x 4', 1300 point comps per year. On these small tables, I find the combination of companions, elephants, pikes, scythed chariots and 1.5 rank LC to be quite effective.

That said, Alexandrian Imperial is still a more popular choice.

Go ahead and play it. I have enjoyed playing Seleucid for more than 15years.

Paul Collins.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject:

I've also played Seleucids, on and off, for a long time. I like them a lot, in part because I like both scythed Ch and elephants Wink.

The only thing that I thought was overly dubious under TOG was where comps would allow two lists: Seleucids were one of the most, and probably the absolute most, beneficiary of this, as your second list could have zero El and maxed out SHC, for running over barbarian foot that would kill El. That was sleazy (and a lot of fun!)
AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject:

<takes bit between teeth> MMMMPH!! MMMMPH! <removes> I mean, I'll do it!! The Seleukid Dog ( as I was at one time called by Roman players from underneath my chariot wheels) rides again!!
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject:

[quote="Mark Stone"]My personal "A" list is very short:
* Alexandrian Imperial
* Khmer
* Knights of Saint John
* Later Carthaginian
[/quote]

Okay, I remember this from a few months back and it has been in the back of my mind bugging me. I have even poked around a bit to try and figure it out.

The rest I can kind of see, but what is the deal with the Carthaginians?
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject:

John Murphy wrote:
Mark Stone wrote:
My personal "A" list is very short:
* Alexandrian Imperial
* Khmer
* Knights of Saint John
* Later Carthaginian

Okay, I remember this from a few months back and it has been in the back of my mind bugging me. I have even poked around a bit to try and figure it out.

The rest I can kind of see, but what is the deal with the Carthaginians?

Well, I'm tipping my hand a bit here, since this is an army I am (sloooowly) putting together. And I think it is probably the hardest of the "A" list armies to play. But:
* It's an extremely well-balanced army, with decent shock foot, decent shock mounted, sturdy close formation foot, solid rough terrain troops, superb LI, and LC that is both interesting and useful.
    * It has enough elephants and enough African spearmen that it doesn't fear knight/cav armies.
    * With enough regular Spanish, it doesn't fear barbarian armies.
    * With enough regular Spanish, it doesn't fear armies based on dense shooting.
    * With the right combo of regular and irregular Spanish it doesn't fear other elephant armies.
    * It absolutely destroys armies based on regular, close formation foot.

The above assumes you play Hannibal in Italy and take all 9 elephants. Does that clarify things?

-Mark Stone
Martin Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject:

I've often wondered when fighting this army, how does Hannibal in Italy have 9 elephants? Even if all the ones that set out made it this would seem extreme.

This is a tough army i've fought on an number of occaisions with pretty limited success

Martin williams
Tibor
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Hannibals Elephants in Italy

Very good point Martin.

Even if we use a scale of just 4 elephants per figure, that gives too many elephants for what actually survived into Italy (27!)

There is an excellent discussion of the trials and tribulations of Hannibal crossing the alps at http://www.livius.org/ha-hd/hannibal/alps.html

So - is there a case for errata on the number of elephants Hannibal used in Italy?

Tibor

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hannibals Elephants in Italy

Tibor wrote:
Very good point Martin.

Even if we use a scale of just 4 elephants per figure, that gives too many elephants for what actually survived into Italy (27!)

There is an excellent discussion of the trials and tribulations of Hannibal crossing the alps at http://www.livius.org/ha-hd/hannibal/alps.html

So - is there a case for errata on the number of elephants Hannibal used in Italy?

Tibor

I guess I've always assumed that the 9 elephants on the list reflected not just what literally happened in the Italian campaign but the full range of what plausibly could have happened (more elephants survive the Alps, naval reinforcement, etc.).

This is not my period of history, though, so I'm not sure what the rationale is.

-Mark Stone
Steve
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Hello Mark,

FWIW, I have posted my thoughts on this on the topic that has now split off as a discussion about the Carthaginians in Italy (the subject directly above or beneath this one in the index I think).

Steve
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hannibals Elephants in Italy

[quote="Tibor"]Very good point Martin.

Tibor[/quote]

I just got back from Italia.
Flow over the alps, lots easier than walking. But had a window seat for that leg of the flight. Interesting to see how there are miles and miles of little windy passes without snow cover yet.

But I mention all this because when the bus was taking us thru the Umbrian forests past Lake Trasimene where a bunch of movie starts have their homes I was probably the only one who thought of Carthaginians ambushing the Republican Roman army in the woods. Must have been a scene I saw in a grade B movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: